What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuesday's intake:
B: Cup of tea; Greek yoghurt with assorted berries, linseed mix, handful of nuts
L: Chilli con carne (no rice or bread); apple
D: Family Canasta were chowing down on bangers and mash, so I opted instead for half a red pepper (cut into strips) and tbsp of hummus, followed by some cubes of cheese, 5 x 10p-sized slices of chorizo, small mixed salad and a pear. Piece of 75% dark chocolate as dessert. And while washing-up, I ate half a sausage that no.2 son had left on his plate.

Random observation on eating habits (#1 in an occasional series): on my way home from work, popped into Tesco to replenish full-fat yoghurt supply. There were none on the shelf (the idea is obviously catching on), so I asked a helpful young man to check if they had any in their stockroom. During the 5 minutes or so he was gone, I hovered self-consciously by the yoghurt cabinet and noticed a curious phenomenon: of the 20 or so shoppers who bought the low/zero-fat yoghurts (which was all there was on the shelves), almost all of them were noticeably overweight or obese. It made me feel sad - these people were obviously concerned about their weight and were trying to reduce it by following the approved guidelines, but it was clearly having little or no discernible effect. I know it's hardly a rigorous scientific trial and doesn't prove anything, but just the same...

Reactions: 4 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Tuesday 7/6/16
B 1 slice burgen bread / peanut butter / homemade lemon curd
S Alpro coconut yogurt / sugar free jelly / cream
L 1 slice of broccoli and cheese quiche no crust / 1 pkt pork scratchings
S 1 pkt pork scratchings / glass of zero coke
D 2 small minted lamb chops / mediteranian salad / mayo [ from Aldi ]
BG reading 2hrs after dinner 4

D

debrasue

Tuesday 7/6/16
B 1 slice burgen bread / peanut butter / homemade lemon curd
S Alpro coconut yogurt / sugar free jelly / cream
L 1 slice of broccoli and cheese quiche no crust / 1 pkt pork scratchings
S 1 pkt pork scratchings / glass of zero coke
D 2 small minted lamb chops / mediteranian salad / mayo [ from Aldi ]
BG reading 2hrs after dinner 4
Nice breakfast choice you've got there, Arlene! ;)

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: cup of Camomile tea.
L: left over chilli from last night, no rice.
D: will be, sausages, poached or scrambled eggs, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms
S: fruit, coconut water, normal water.

Reactions: 2 people
D

debrasue

Day 5 fast.
D buffalo burger cheese bacon lettuce wrap. Water. Half vanilla coyo (omfg!!), some nuts. More water.

Wanna get to bed ASAP as feel like I could eat all night long right now....

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF
I'm guessing you enjoyed the Coyo then, Deb? :joyful:

D

debrasue

B: Overnight chocolate-coconut-and-seeds pudding
L: Cauliflower and fennel soup with lots of olive oil
D: Courgetti with dolce-latte-and-cream sauce and green asparagus, then an avocado to mop up the sauce
I like the sound of your soup - is there a recipe anywhere?

D

debrasue

B: Grilled smoked bacon, scrambled eggs, Sukrin toast & butter
L: Black cherries
D (will be): Turkey & mushrooms in cream & white wine sauce, broccoli, courgettes, roasted tomatoes;
S: LC Scone with cream & reduced sugar strawberry jam
Carbs: 35.3g

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the sound of your soup - is there a recipe anywhere?

Hi @debrasue and thanks.

I improvised a bit and need to remember now, as I had the soup portion yesterday from the freezer.

I fried a roughly chopped onion for several minutes in a large pot in a generous amount of butter, added garlic, one (or two?) chopped fennel bulb and a cauliflower cut into pieces, and fried the lot for 5 - 10 minutes.

(The cauli leaves were used for cauli chips. I cut them off and baked them with olive oil, salt and paprika)

Then I added 2 cups homemade chicken stock, some leftover white beans (only because I needed to use them), probably some thyme or other herbs and boiled the lot until everything got soft enough to puree. At last I added some double cream and probably some nutmeg and pepper.

This soup goes really well with a bit of turmeric, and, of course olive oil on top before eating :D

Reactions: 6 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeencream
L: mozarrella, cherry toms and olives
D: baked chicken breast with smoked cheese and cherry tomatoes, cauli with cheddar, berries and cream.

A bit too much cheese and tom, but Mr B envied my lunch so much I did him a similar themed evening meal. ;)

I find it amusing when my 'diabetic meals' are envied, as if only I am 'allowed' fat and cheese, but cannot have the boring sandwich :joyful::joyful:

Reactions: 7 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B chipolatas, fried egg, coffee

L corned beef salad, yoghurt with linseed and cinnamon

D chilli con carne on lettuce with cheese. Was really looking forward to sour cream on top but something odd happened to it while it was sitting in fridge so I had to bin it. Had to have a dollop of yoghurt instead. Yum! Rest of vanilla coyo.

Feel stuffed....

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

D

debrasue

Hi @debrasue and thanks.

I improvised a bit and need to remember now, as I had the soup portion yesterday from the freezer.

I fried a roughly chopped onion for several minutes in a large pot in a generous amount of butter, added garlic, one (or two?) chopped fennel bulb and a cauliflower cut into pieces, and fried the lot for 5 - 10 minutes.

(The cauli leaves were used for cauli chips. I cut them off and baked them with olive oil, salt and paprika)

Then I added 2 cups homemade chicken stock, some leftover white beans (only because I needed to use them), probably some thyme or other herbs and boiled the lot until everything got soft enough to puree. At last I added some double cream and probably some nutmeg and pepper.

This soup goes really well with a bit of turmeric, and, of course olive oil on top before eating :D
Thanks! It sounds lovely - I'm going to have to have a go at this...

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: boiled eggs
L: tomato soup - one slice LivLife bread slathered with Brussels pate
D: salmon with a lemon crust ;) a pile of purple sprouting brocolli - smelly cheese to follow, washed down with a first class Merlot

A winning day on LHCF and didn't feel hungry at all :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: zilch
L: unexpected - piggy rarebit. 2 slices granary with bacon, grated cheese and wholegrain mustard. Absolutely superb! Went from 4.5 to a peak of 7.4 over about 2 hours, then dipped back down slowly. So not horrendous, but def not ideal. A v rare treat!
D: bratwurst, broccoli, green beans and a few baby carrots.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B: straws, walnuts and creme fraiche
L: Cauli soup, cheese and aubergine pickle added for zing.
D: 4 egg omelette, spinach and cheese, expresso and square of 95%.
4 rasps when I got home from work.

PosyPip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fasted until this evening, apart from a handful at nuts at lunch

Wine tasting followed by quiche (without pastry), cheese, prawns and salami.

Reactions: 4 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Wed 8/6/16
B 1 slice burgen bread / peanut butter / mushrooms in butter
S coconut / vanilla greek yogurt
L 1 slice cheese quiche no crust
D Cod fish in butter sauce / broccoli / cauli / green beans Turkish greek yogurt / a few blackberries and raspberries.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
Well I've not been here for a few weeks because I have completely fallen off the wagon, so soon into my diabetes journey it's embarrassing. I haven't gone mad but i have been eating a fair few carbs, I decided to take my bloods reading for the first time in a week yesterday and it was 17. I'm back with a re-newed motivation, and somehow posting here allows me to keep motivated a little more somehow. Anyway, Im rambling...so for today, so far I have eaten a pot of fruit consisting of a quarter of an apple, 6 grapes and 3 strawberries. I am not sure what Im going to have for lunch ( I've got the diabetic nurse at 1.30 and its the day I have my three monthly bloods taken...:( ) so will pick something up then. Well done you guys, you have so much more will power than I do, but hopefully some of it may rub off on me x

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
50 minutes on treadmill 3.2 miles.
L: low carb crackers with pate. Half a small tin of corned beef.
D: crab salad. Fruit.

Got to put up with my husband cooking for me for couple of weeks as from tomorrow as I'm having a carpal tunnel operation tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
50 minutes on treadmill 3.2 miles.
L: low carb crackers with pate. Half a small tin of corned beef.
D: crab salad. Fruit.

Got to put up with my husband cooking for me for couple of weeks as from tomorrow as I'm having a carpal tunnel operation tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck.

GOOD LUCK!!!