Freestyle Libre Poll - Have you had a skin reaction ?

Freestyle Libre - Have you had a skin reaction ?

• Total voters

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just finished a little experiment using a tegaderm patch under the sensor. After 1 week the itching got too much and I pulled it off to find the usual "burn" underneath. Very odd since no reaction to tegaderm but perfect reaction to where the adhesive for the sensor was, you can even see where the actual bit that holds the filament is since there is no reaction there.

Still wondering about getting more sensors at this point which is a **** shame since I love this system.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just finished a little experiment using a tegaderm patch under the sensor. After 1 week the itching got too much and I pulled it off to find the usual "burn" underneath. Very odd since no reaction to tegaderm but perfect reaction to where the adhesive for the sensor was, you can even see where the actual bit that holds the filament is since there is no reaction there.

Still wondering about getting more sensors at this point which is a **** shame since I love this system.
Are you a member of the Libre Facebook group? Lots of people have tried a whole host of things underneath ... tegaderm, regular plasters, skintac, duoderm. Nearly always the reaction is still generated; clearly the sensor adhesive is somehow permeating through. Compeed seems to be the only thing people (including myself) have any success with.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you a member of the Libre Facebook group? Lots of people have tried a whole host of things underneath ... tegaderm, regular plasters, skintac, duoderm. Nearly always the reaction is still generated; clearly the sensor adhesive is somehow permeating through. Compeed seems to be the only thing people (including myself) have any success with.
No not a member, I did try compeed but that only lasted about 4 days before it really started to try to fall off. I had to tack some additional plasters over the top but the way those pulled my skin ended up with a ring shaped bruise around the outside of where the sensor was placed. I guess I was sleeping on the pinched skin or something.

Tabsterw8

It worsened for me the more that I used the Libre. Tried everything - Conpeed, SkinTac etc. Have moved onto a CGMS - no itching & similar costs. Good luck!

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It worsened for me the more that I used the Libre. Tried everything - Conpeed, SkinTac etc. Have moved onto a CGMS - no itching & similar costs. Good luck!
what did you move on to?

jclassen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been facing skin reaction since my 5th sensor. It's really a trouble from the 3rd day on, and it gets worse until I remove it. Tried Tegaderm but it didn't work. Tried micropore but it's permeable to the sensor adhesive. Finally I could solve the problem using 3 micropore layers with a hole in the middle. After installing the sensor, I cover the sensor and the micropore layers with tegaderm. But there should be an easier way...

jclassen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Libre2.JPG

Eliott

Hi everyone
I last posted some time ago #33. Since then I have experimented with a variety of plasters and have exciting news to report.
I used to get really bad allergic reactions. Now I do not, and benefit from the ease of use and accuracy of the Libre. I have used the Superdrug 'Enhanced Healing waterproof film dressing' for 4 months. I place the plaster on my skin to act as a barrier, remove the two transparent films from the surface of the plaster and then locate the sensor over it.The Libre sensors stick on well and I do not cut the plaster, I simply shoot through it. I protect my arm using a Boots waterproof sleeve when I take my daily shower. The sensors typically last 2 weeks but on two occasions they have lifted off after 10 days.
199134.jpg

I often get a very slight itching for 1-2 days when I start a new sensor, but this does not compare with the unbearable itching I used to get. Also, when I remove a sensor after 2 weeks, I get a little redness but this wears away and I'm over it by the time I come to alternate the sensor 2 weeks later. This redness is 10% of the redness I used to get when I used the sensor without the plaster.
I have just noticed that superdrug no longer list the plaster on their website, but mysupermarket still have it:
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sain...nced_Healing_Waterproof_Film_Dressings_5.html

Superdrug do stock a plaster that I haven't yet tried, which looks like the above but isn't from their 'enhanced healing' range. It looks similar:
http://www.superdrug.com/Superdrug/...sings-x5/p/151505?singleResultSearchPage=true

Good luck!

UPDATE: I just visited my local superdrug store. They didn't have the new style plaster on their website, but they had lots of the 'enhanced healing' ones. I bought a few!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
yes my skin goes red and itchy every time. In fact it stops me using them for a while. I do not fit another until the redness has completely gone even though I use either arm. This is just in case the sore/redness does not go away.
They should look at this

T1D Sarah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have really sensitive skin but I'm surprised that I haven't had any reaction to it

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All members of the british government, benefit fraud, liver & kidneys, animal cruelty, having to work
I've just voted as having no reaction however i'm only on my first sensor so i'm a bit worried!!! Change to sensor 2 tomorrow so fingers crossed it'll all be okay

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No problems. I use compeed over the top for outdoor sports.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm on my sixth day of my very first sensor!it became unstuck after a shower, sort of hanging off with the needle still in my arm. I put a plaster on it and a bandage over that again to keep it in place until the 14th day!not a good look but how's ever! I'm hoping I won't have a reaction to either the sensor or the plaster! Only thing I'm finding is its reporting hypos when I'm between 4-5.5 on my glucose monitor

MrBrightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah big reaction! By the 6th sensor I was in agony and ended up with red sores on both arms which took about 3 weeks to heal and basically scab over.

I have no previous bad reactions to elastoplast or anything like that.

I'm off the libre for now but it was very enlightening while i had it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
No but my last one malfunctioned on day 8 and when I took it off I had a load of dried blood underneath and a patch. It went after a day. How do you get the glue off once you've removed the sensor? I find that oil isn't lifting it.

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My arm is tearing itchy so bad I'm currently awake at 2:45am with the irritation. My Libre sensor is starting to peel away itself

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do you get the glue off once you've removed the sensor? I find that oil isn't lifting it.
I discovered recently by accident that Soltan sun block - the oily liquid spray in a yellow bottle - removes the glue like a dream! Warning though - this is a very good reason not to spray the stuff on or near any sensor or pump cannula that you want to stay stuck!

:)

Reactions: 2 people

GROG1

I am Type 2 and have been for 20 years. Significant allergic reaction after 8 sensors but never had a sensor failure. Tried Torbot Skintac wipes from MG Healthcare.co.uk which add a sticky surface to the skin. Worked well for 4 days at approved sensor site on back of arm until sensor came off after slight catch on shirt sleeve. Decided problem could be curvature of arm which makes sides of sensor part company. Needed a flat surface so am now wearing sensor on chest area. Too embarrassed to say precisely where BUT after 4 days is still attached with no sign of irritation. Big advantage of this position is you can see the sensor. Readings are accurate when compared with Bayer Contour Next USB meter between 4.5 and 10. Above that the sensor starts to read high reaching +2 at 15. And another thing, for skiing users, it is largely useless at altitude. Spent 3 weeks at 7500ft and readings were up to 5 units high and very random.

With 2 days left started to itch despite using Skin Tac as advised by Abbot after a phone call. Regrettably no change - the irritation circle was slightly 'less bad' than before but still not acceptable. I am astonished that Abbot have the bald faced gall to continue seling a product that produces a significant allergic reaction in what appears to be about half of users. Intend to speak to my GP and make sure he and my diabetic nurse person are fully aware of what happens when you use this 'product'. So disappointing - the system is a revolution monitoring glucosel levels.

My final experiment was to try and isolate the sensor from skin. So, next to skin was Opsite Film. On top of that was a 2" square patch of heavy duty weatherproof cellotape then the sensor which easily perforates the two layers when applied. It also sticks exceptionally well to the cellotape and the entire setup was very stable with only a very small hole for the sensor 'wire'. After 3 days it started to itch, 1 day longer than usual but it still had to be removed. I have tested the Opsite + cellotape without a sensor and there is no reaction at all after 4 days, so the sensor must be the culprit.

Then, after a little more browsing one website (sorry, forgot which one) mentioned that the sensor could cause a reaction in people allergic to the plastic or nickel content. I am allergic to nickel (can't wear my wedding ring) and so that may be the cause - somehow either nickel or plastic is managing to progress down the sensor wire and cause the problem. And Abbot do not know this? Really???

The solution. Buy Dexcom 5G mobile. Zero allergic reaction after 5 days and counting. The Dexcom is fiddly to apply (only done it once though) and the sensor does not store readings like the Abbot unit, so if the bluetooth signal between sensor and iphone is lost, so is the data. Oh, and it has an absolutely excellent User Manual.

Hope my comments help other users and save them time trying to solve the reaction problem. My belief is that if you get a reaction with the Abbot Freestyle, there is very little you can do to stop it.

!!! Epilogue !!! Just changed first Dexcom 5G sensor after 20 days use. Absolutely no skin reaction at all on test site. Only 'issues', becos they are not really problems, have been:
1. Paractamol (2x500G) consistently increases reading by about four points from 6 to 10. reading drops back after about 3 hours.
2. Recalibrating a few times a day seems to help.
3. The sticky patch that holds the sensor on becomes 'non white' after 20 days. Will try adding a layer of Opsite fim.
The good news is that the unit was still firmly attached. The patch had lifted round the edges a little and I stuck that back with SkinTac.
Only other comment is that I bought the dedicated receiver unit which is very expensive. BUT it does save me having to open mobile fone, select the app etc etc. And it is very robust as in drop proof BUT does not seem to have the same bluetoth range as my mobile fone.

Last edited: