Meter reading's way out!

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So since being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 2 years ago, I've been using the GlucoMen LX plus meter.

I've just started carb counting properly and have been given an Accu-Check Aviva Expert and am shocked at the difference in readings I'm getting from both monitors.

Yesterday for example, I felt like I was having a hypo, tested my blood on my GlucoMen machine and got a reading of 4. I didn't think this was correct so immediately did a test on my Accu-Check and got a reading of 2.3.

I keep one monitor at work (my GlucoMen) and have my accu-check at home but am not not sure I should rely on my GlucoMen anymore?! I have felt lower then it's said I am on a few occasions which is obviously potentially dangerous.

Has anyone else had this issue with their monitors?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Meters are quite often different to one another. They're allowed a variability of 15%.

I know that my Accu Chek mobile will consistently read 1mmol higher than the blood tester built into the Libre and the One touch Verio's we use at work are usually somewhere in-between.

My best advice is to call Accu Chek and ask them for an extra meter for work so that they are consistent.

You should be able to get some control solution for your meters to check that they are roughly accurate. I day roughly because the control solution usually says it's OK if it's between, for example, 3 and 5 mmol!

Always trust your own feelings and eat when feeling hypo if you're not confident in the meter reading. Try and test with freshly washed hands.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Ellie_Wilko I have found that.
My accu-chek mobile is great. In keeping with my hypos too.
I called Verio as their iq was reading a lot higher and was reading me safe to drive even though I was having a hypo. I asked if they wanted their meter back!
Accu-chek have been consistent with their readings and customer service too. I've been with accu-chek 13-14yrs.

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm just waiting on a prescription for some more strips for my accu-check and am then going to just rely on that one.

It certainly makes you wonder how accurate it's been since I first got it and whether my readings have always been out!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

conure

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I heard and read that when on Metformin it is not necessary to check BG, I felt unwell getting worse by the day, eventually in hosp with very severe Pneumonia, I could have done something about it earlier, but didn't realise how serious it was, when at hosp they check my blood Glucose and it had gone thru the floor. my kidneys shut down, very low BP, and a raging temperature.
If I had been testing I would have reading was dangeriously low and gone to my GP where it all would have been picked up. now it is going to take at least another 8 weeks to completely recover (only can home 2 days ago), I now will be testing whenever I feel off colour.

bobh18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aye NICE in their quest to save money have said that T2 that are takin oral medication should NOT be given test strips. I was taken off them by my GP as he was instructed to do so. After about 18 months my DN check my BG and it was 16.7mmols, she went ape and insisted I went back to testing 4 times a week. Now because I've been testing I know the tablets alone aren't doing the job, so have been given lyxumia as well.

My sons in the same boat he's taking Jardiance (empagliflozin) he has no idea of his BG is until I let him use one of my spare meters. Last time he tested he was 11.9mmols, not bad but he would have had no idea without testing.

Clinical Excellence my ****...

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
Meters are quite often different to one another. They're allowed a variability of 15%.

I know that my Accu Chek mobile will consistently read 1mmol higher than the blood tester built into the Libre and the One touch Verio's we use at work are usually somewhere in-between.

My best advice is to call Accu Chek and ask them for an extra meter for work so that they are consistent.

You should be able to get some control solution for your meters to check that they are roughly accurate. I day roughly because the control solution usually says it's OK if it's between, for example, 3 and 5 mmol!

Always trust your own feelings and eat when feeling hypo if you're not confident in the meter reading. Try and test with freshly washed hands.

HI
I got rid of that make of meter a long time ago 10 -- 15 years. I complained about the Difference between 2 Meters
I was told ("ole NO you MUST only USE one (1) Meter") "ON 8 Jabs a day" Don't think so! But even Now
USB, and High Tech Strips they are still to far apart when and "IF" they READ????
My strips Yell more Blood More Blood or JAM & NOT read?
Insulinman still on a pump

Last edited by a moderator:

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
I would also check the expiry date on your test strips. If they're out of date you'll get a false reading.

Hi
I use more than 150 strips each Month, they don't get much time to get out of Date!
About 40years ago I had on loan from my Hospital in East London, a Loan Blood test
Meter 300mm X 300mm X 50mm, Or in English 12" x 12" x 2" & Staff Nurse Pam in her
starched apron gave me two Tubs of strips EVERY week they were Bayer Then and still are Now!
I worked out with a Calc Note Book & Pen a few years ago I had done 80.000 Blood tests with well
over 100,000 finger pricks? "AND" yes Around 100,000 Jabs, I now stick a Pump Needle & hose
in me "BUT" I still have to test like a lot of us do 5 to 8 times a day, But thanks for the Advice.

Tng1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I use more than 150 strips each Month, they don't get much time to get out of Date!
About 40years ago I had on loan from my Hospital in East London, a Loan Blood test
Meter 300mm X 300mm X 50mm, Or in English 12" x 12" x 2" & Staff Nurse Pam in her
starched apron gave me two Tubs of strips EVERY week they were Bayer Then and still are Now!
I worked out with a Calc Note Book & Pen a few years ago I had done 80.000 Blood tests with well
over 100,000 finger pricks? "AND" yes Around 100,000 Jabs, I now stick a Pump Needle & hose
in me "BUT" I still have to test like a lot of us do 5 to 8 times a day, But thanks for the Advice.

My doctor only prescribes 50strips which are then supposed to last 2 months! My pharmacy have also tried to give me out of date strips......

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
My doctor only prescribes 50strips which are then supposed to last 2 months! My pharmacy have also tried to give me out of date strips......

Mine did the same when I was first diagnosed. I quickly realised this was silly, went in with the maths and asked for 1 script for 200 to cover a little more than a month. He listened said "fine" and proceeded to write the prescription.

Happy days...

...well at least until I started doing very well getting my BG under consistent control at which time he told me I no longer needed prescriptions. Makes you wonder should I have just taken the tablets he first offered and smiled nicely:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
Mine did the same when I was first diagnosed. I quickly realised this was silly, went in with the maths and asked for 1 script for 200 to cover a little more than a month. He listened said "fine" and proceeded to write the prescription.

Happy days...

...well at least until I started doing very well getting my BG under consistent control at which time he told me I no longer needed prescriptions. Makes you wonder should I have just taken the tablets he first offered and smiled nicely:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

HI It does depend on how good or bad a diabetic you are? I have been under a Hospital Consultant for 40 years
So who knows Better than a HOSPITAL!!! It ONLY took 32 of them to get "ME" a Pump.
Its all about that good old thing Money,
But with Insulin & NO Test Strips its a one way trip to a place called A/E You Must have Strips for INSULIN and sugar????????
Insuliman still on a pump

Reactions: 2 people