Metformin - B12 Deficiency!!!!!

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
A couple of months ago I began taking a B12 supplement!

Conclusions Long term treatment with metformin increases the risk of vitamin B-12 deficiency, which results in raised homocysteine concentrations. Vitamin B-12 deficiency is preventable; therefore, our findings suggest that regular measurement of vitamin B-12 concentrations during long term metformin treatment should be strongly considered.

http://www.bmj.com/content/340/bmj.c2181

B12 deficiency

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/vitamin-b12/evidence/hrb-20060243

Reactions: 2 people

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I have just been informed that my latest HbA1C has shown low Vit B12, I am on highest metformin medication so guessing that has tipped me into low reading. Doctor says he will monitor for a while in case it is just a 'blip' he did not recommend Vitamin supplement but I have decided to take one as really don't want to go on injections if I can help it.

I will be interested to know how you get on with your next HbA1C test.

Reactions: 4 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Conclusions Long term treatment with metformin increases the risk of vitamin B-12 deficiency, which results in raised homocysteine concentrations. Vitamin B-12 deficiency is preventable; therefore, our findings suggest that regular measurement of vitamin B-12 concentrations during long term metformin treatment should be strongly considered.

B12 deficiency

I think I am correct in saying that both Berstein and Rhule mention this as a possibilty.

Sent from my LG-D620 using DCUK Forum mobile app

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love these cheery threads....

Low levels of vitamin B12 are a cause of Megaloblastic anemia........................I stopped reading at that point :eek:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Maybe you should of scrolled on down to where it says this.

"Diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage)

Some evidence suggests that supplementation with vitamin B12 may be helpful in people with diabetic neuropathy. More research is needed in this area."

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

B12 deficiency

Interesting I am on high dose of metformin and had a B12 deficiency picked up which I think partly caused by this as it is a side effect of the drug.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe you should of scrolled on down to where it says this.

"Diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage)

Some evidence suggests that supplementation with vitamin B12 may be helpful in people with diabetic neuropathy. More research is needed in this area."
Yes I suffer from neuropathy and take a B12 supplement and it has improved but there again on diagnosis I had dangerously high sugar levels which is probably what caused it but have had good tight control of my levels for some time which could be why it has improved.

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
I have had diabetes for 21 years and for around 14 years of them I have been on Metformin as well as insulin. I was diagnosed as Type 2 but I have never been overweight, around 60kg being my heaviest For a few months recently my appetite had been very bad, couldn't even eat a small "toddler" meal and I was feeling very tired at times and had tinnitus for many years. I saw a doctor who decided to do a B12 test and I was "borderline". I was told that normal levels vary between 180 and 1000 and my level was 152. I have just completed five injections, one every other day and I have not felt tired since then but the biggest difference was caused, not by the B12 injections but by the fact that I decided to stop the Metformin. Apparently it's an appetite suppressant and is usually given to overweight people with diabetes. I have never been able to put on weight, except when nine months pregnant, so I thought I would stop them for a while. It was miraculous, my appetite returned straight away and I am eating better than I have done for years. I have had to adjust my insulin as my sugar levels are a bit higher but that is probably because I am eating more. The doctor knew I had stopped it and said she would find out if it was OK for me to stop them but as she never came back to me I will carry on. By the way, a diabetic friend of mine who is on Metformin returned from Australia recently and her hands were swollen so she saw the doctor who did a blood test and she was B12 deficient and she had no symptoms at all. There can be very serious complications in someone who has very low B12 which is why I think that diabetics on Metformin should have a test as a part of their usual blood tests and not as an add-on.

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had diabetes for 21 years and for around 14 years of them I have been on Metformin as well as insulin. I was diagnosed as Type 2 but I have never been overweight, around 60kg being my heaviest For a few months recently my appetite had been very bad, couldn't even eat a small "toddler" meal and I was feeling very tired at times and had tinnitus for many years. I saw a doctor who decided to do a B12 test and I was "borderline". I was told that normal levels vary between 180 and 1000 and my level was 152. I have just completed five injections, one every other day and I have not felt tired since then but the biggest difference was caused, not by the B12 injections but by the fact that I decided to stop the Metformin. Apparently it's an appetite suppressant and is usually given to overweight people with diabetes. I have never been able to put on weight, except when nine months pregnant, so I thought I would stop them for a while. It was miraculous, my appetite returned straight away and I am eating better than I have done for years. I have had to adjust my insulin as my sugar levels are a bit higher but that is probably because I am eating more. The doctor knew I had stopped it and said she would find out if it was OK for me to stop them but as she never came back to me I will carry on. By the way, a diabetic friend of mine who is on Metformin returned from Australia recently and her hands were swollen so she saw the doctor who did a blood test and she was B12 deficient and she had no symptoms at all. There can be very serious complications in someone who has very low B12 which is why I think that diabetics on Metformin should have a test as a part of their usual blood tests and not as an add-on.
Interesting must admit didn't realise it caused a B12 deficiency until test was done none of the other systems I was given one jab and take a supplement now a friend of my was very ill whilst going through the menopause and with v low B12 with all sorts of horrible systems so important to have regular checks on it

Mymuppy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Gloucester girl, im kathy, (mymuppy), I was reading your postings just now...I have written recently concerning Metformin, I take 500 per day, I said, that I was having severe side effects, so stopped taking my metformin, it's a bit more involved with other meds, but I continue regarding Metformin....I knew that this medication had helped people in the past, not necessarily diabetic, for weight control and another lady had said, it's good for the heart, I have a pacemaker, a year next month, and after seeing the G.P., he said, do take the Metformin, that's all really. So I now take 1 x 500 every other day! The severe side effects have eased to more tolerable level...but I'm not happy really. I was surprised to see that it was prescribed to you for weight loss! I took it upon myself to take, B12, Vit, D, B6, and I do try but my gastritis will not allow to eat food with kerotin in it as it's good for, skin, hair, nails...I had gone to grey skin, loss of hair, and my finger nails peeling, the GP never offered me B12 injection? It's taken 2 years to not look so grey, my hair has stopped falling out, fingers x, only a couple of finger nails are peeling, my 7 day average testing is 7.4., I really am considering stopping again? Sorry I've gone on to long....thank you kathy

Colorado

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was on Cyanocobalamin for a long period of time and found very little help from it. I was told that I should be taking Webber Natural 500 mg Methyl Cobalamin B12, daily, sublingual which is a Natural Supplement and am finding a much better result!

gillianwrdl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bad manners and inconsideration for others. Relatives who phone all the time and rattle on about nothing! Manipulating types, liars, control freaks, etc etc!
I hate how my feet pain all the time. Arthritis, Diabetes and probably after effects from Chemotherapy.
I was on Cyanocobalamin for a long period of time and found very little help from it. I was told that I should be taking Webber Natural 500 mg Methyl Cobalamin B12, daily, sublingual which is a Natural Supplement and am finding a much better result!

II have changed from cyanocobalamin to the Methyl, and have been feeling much less tired. I asked for Metformin, as it has a huge statistical advantage when it comes to recurrence of cancer, and it also keeps my sugars at a very acceptable level. I rarely wake up with a reading over 6point something. I have neuropathy, which can be caused by chemo and diabeties 2 , but wilth arthritis as well , it is hard to pick just one cause! I have most relief from footware choice, having just discovered Sketchers which have changed my tile walking life!!

helenannb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree with the study findings that those on long term Metformin use should be tested. I found out I was B12 deficient pretty much by accident. I happened to be sitting next to a doctor on a flight and she commented on my fingernails which were curving over my fingertips. she told me this was a sign of iron deficiency. I thought she couldn't be right as I ate a good diet,( but of course Metformin can affect absorption.) It was only when I came across the Metformin link that it made sense. I was also suffering neuropathy and had been advised that this would get worse over the years. My GP confirmed my low B12 and prescribed B12 injections every 12 weeks and an iron and folate tablet daily. I felt great after the injection but my fatigue and neuropathy returned 2-3 weeks before my next shot so am on 8 weekly now. It is great. I have energy, and best of all, my neuropathy symptoms are kept at bay.

ijcrowland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just been informed that my latest HbA1C has shown low Vit B12, I am on highest metformin medication so guessing that has tipped me into low reading. Doctor says he will monitor for a while in case it is just a 'blip' he did not recommend Vitamin supplement but I have decided to take one as really don't want to go on injections if I can help it.

I will be interested to know how you get on with your next HbA1C test.
My husband and I are both on Metformin. I take a B12 tablet every day whereas he Has a B12 injection every 3 months with the nurse at our GP surgery.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just started on Metformin almost two months ago, and was just diagnosed, so should I be taking a B12 vitamin supplement? I take 500 mg twice a day.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just started on Metformin almost two months ago, and was just diagnosed, so should I be taking a B12 vitamin supplement? I take 500 mg twice a day.
If your diet includes dairy or meat foods, then you will probably be covered. Vegetarians and vegans need to consider how they get B12 since it is not available in plant foods, but is added into fortified breakfast cereals, and breads.

Some brands of brewers yeast are fortified, but check the label since it is not naturally present unless added. This makes a good general source of vit B if you decide to take it.

I am taking B12 supps since I am on 2g Metformin /day and this has been for years.

Save your money if you are also taking an antifungal auch as fluconazole (Diflucan), terbinafine (Lamisil), itraconazole (Sporanox), and others.

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello every one who use metformin !
The newest research claim that, to be free to get a vitamin B12 deficiency, you shod take, together with metformin, a tablets with Calcium. About 1000mg/day.
I can not find that in the Pharmacology literature, but the recommendation do not hurt you and probably will help. It is only chalk and it can be used by your bones.

With regards
luna50

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello every one who use metformin !
The newest research claim that, to be free to get a vitamin B12 deficiency, you shod take, together with metformin, a tablets with Calcium. About 1000mg/day.
I can not find that in the Pharmacology literature, but the recommendation do not hurt you and probably will help. It is only chalk and it can be used by your bones.

With regards
luna50
Be careful with this advice. Some calcium tablets may exacerbate calcification or claudication of the heart blood vessels. This has just happened to a friend if mine. Chalk is not easily disolved in the body, otherwise toothpaste would remove the need for supplementation. It seems calcium citrate is the most bioavailable form. 1000mg sounds too high a dose to me. The RDA for adults is 1000mg but this assumes you are getting NO calcium from your diet Calcium is the fifth most abundant mineral on planet earth.

There is no established link yet proven for this, but the following links may provide more info.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3820054/
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/779420

You say this is new research. Do you have the source details?

Reactions: 3 people