Worried Mum!

snoozie14

Hi,

My little man has just been diagnosed with type 1. At the minute he is on twice daily insulin and regular bm checks. He is being a little star and is self injecting He's 8. I have read all the medical jargon and know what needs to be done but would like to hear from people living with it. His bm's are peeking and dipping with no rhyme or reason. Will it ever settle down? or is this something that we will have to live with? I realise they will jump about a bit for the rest of his life but wanted to know if we follow all the guidlines will it settle slightly? It was 31.5 pre dinner last night so I called the hosp and they just told me to check it again 2 hrs after dinner and if it hadn't gone down to call back. It went down to 21.4. Then this morning it had dropped to 5.8!!

It's all just very daunting and there is only so much a non diabetic medic can tell you!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum, snoozie.

I'm sure one of our helpful mums will be here at some time today to help you.

Have a good read in the Type 1 forum and the Diabetes Youth club forum and see if any of the answers you are looking for are there.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi snoozie14,
Welcome to the forum. Theres lots of us Mums around, i'm Mum to Andrew he's 11yrs old and has been T1 for almost 4yrs. You will find your wee mans bs go up and down, especially as he's newly diagnosed, and he's a real superstar if he's already injectiong himself, well done. He will still be in that honeymoon period where his pancreas still releases the odd bit of insulin. Thats why he is going up and down so much, bit of a rollercoaster ride you'l find, but it does settle down and becomes easier to control.
Any questions, there are plenty of us on hand to help, take care and big ((hugs)), always a bit of a shock when our little ones are first diagnosed.
Suzi x

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
wow, 8 years old and injecting himself?! what a star! make sure you let him know he is really, really brave and mature for his years to be getting to grips with it all, expecially in these early days - hope his levels settle down, I'm sure they will soon enough, it can be a bit tough at first, hang in there Mum :D

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
What a trooper I'm 31 and passed out again the other day injecting you should both be very proud of each other well done. What a cool 8) wee man

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Kids can have some wacky bsl's. I imagine the nurse on the end of the phone didn't even sound surprised when you said your son had such a high bsl. It does settle down eventually and you will get to be quite an expert on the subject. Khaleb (son age 3) threw some wacky figures last night but today is a new day.

All the Mum's and Dad's here will offer lots of support.

Congratulations to your son for being brave!

Jen

Shazza

hi

sounds like you have a brave wee boy there, my son was diagnosed 5 months ago we still dont have 2 days the same, it does get easier though and best advice i would give is write everything down finally a pattern does start to emerge and ask any questions on here theres lots of advice.

xx