T1s - how 'controlled' are you?

Worryingwife

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post. My husband has had T1 since 15, now 45. On pump much more controlled than when we first met ten years ago when it seemed like I was regularly dialling 999 for bad hypos. He likes the pump and dafne approach because he can eat what he likes when he likes. But he has a lot of lows that mean he has to drink coke rapidly etc and he doesn't always make sense and is in hypo zone even though he can usually get himself out of it . I reckon 3-5 a week. Today was too low to take our young kids to school. Is this all normal? I know all the advice is you mustn't nag your spouse about their diabetes management or stand over them and make them eat regular meals - but I am finding it difficult. Is this just normal though for a T1?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Worryingwife and welcome to the site :)

Speaking as a type 1 on a pump I have around 2-3 hypos a week, they are usually mild so can treat and be on my way within 45 minutes. I have had a hypo where I have been so low so been unable to take my daughter to school on time. I wouldn't attempt to take her if I had to drive, as would treat then need to wait 45 minutes before driving so I think he was wise not to attempt to take the kids to school. Hypos vary from person to person, NHS would prefer us to have around 2 a week but for some this can be more like 2-5. Generally we have to sit tight and wait for them to pass so we can then resume normality and carry on. I don't think the amount of hypos he has sounds extreme at all, but if it is a concern you need to talk to him to see if there is anyway he can test more frequently to prevent them, if it is then a concern for you both, then contact his nurse/consultant and see if they recommend anything. Depending on what type of pump he has it may have a continuous glucose monitor which will help prevent the lows and the NHS may be able to fund it, if it's affecting his quality of life - worth a look in possibly ? good luck ;)

Reactions: 2 people

DR_Hornet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
He should try a continuous glucose monitoring system. I use the freestyle Libre (actually it's a flash system not continuous) or a dexicon which can be linked to your phone and send alarms. Made my control much better and less severe hypos.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... You could get your husband to sign up & sort this out on his own behalf???;)

Reactions: 4 people

Worryingwife

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
Good point Jaylee ;)
Thank you for everyone's help and not telling me to get lost! He has a freestyle libre I think - the hitech thing in your arm? - but still doesn't stop the lows coming. as a teen he was started off on an old skool regime where it was so dictated by insulin injections (eat exact amounts at certain times) and he never wants to go back to that - understandably! But by eating as erratically as he does now, I wondered if he was having more lows than necessary....

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good point Jaylee ;)
Thank you for everyone's help and not telling me to get lost! He has a freestyle libre I think - the hitech thing in your arm? - but still doesn't stop the lows coming. as a teen he was started off on an old skool regime where it was so dictated by insulin injections (eat exact amounts at certain times) and he never wants to go back to that - understandably! But by eating as erratically as he does now, I wondered if he was having more lows than necessary....

Does your husband actually recognise he's low? Unfortunately some people may be exhibiting symptoms to onlookers, but not feel them themselves until they really get very low, if at all.

The Libre will be making snapshots of his interstitial fluid (which tends to track about 10-15 minutes behind blood sugars), but he still has to scan and/or test. If he is to drive, he always has to finger prick test, whatever the Libre says.

Unlike some of the other constant monitors, the Libre doesn't generate an alarm when the individual is low; which I imagine must be exceptionally helpful to those who don't feel their hypos coming on.

I can't speak to you from any personal experience as I'm not T1, but as you have already found, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people using this site.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good point Jaylee ;)

Hi WW,

Yes I remember that "old skool" regime. Though your husband & I are in a simalar age group. I've had a decade worth of it extra without an ambulance in sight.. That's not to say I've not had lows.
This is where it gets difficult in my view....

You have started a post that in essence is trying to "compare the Dkatts". (Like the play on the catchphrase?)
I see this time & time again with "partners" of all D types. All you can do is point him towards this forum & he will find the appropriate people.

Your husband is an individual. A one off! Contrary to NHS practice. We are not all the same...

Your bloke will find experienced diabetics of all types on here & find a way that will hopefully work better for him in many aspects of his D management.

Personal note. No one's telling you to "get lost" but I am suggesting your husband finds a "way" first hand.
Without the convoluted "Chinese whispers", As far as I know? None of us are "relationship councellors"..

"Normal"?? What's normal for anyone... ;)

Best regards.

J>

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
can only agree with my learned friend jaylee-- you must be an amazing wife/ partner to seek out help here.- total respect for that

ultimately he needs to know that there are issues that worry you and confront them himself if need be

i did the old skool for many years too

been on a pump for about 8 months -- hypos are completely reduced in amount and severity -- my wife sleeps better now

nuff said !!

Calferness

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi WW,
I am a medical device researcher and have studied glucose management for many years (for my own benefit). It seems it should be fairly simple to manage, but is definitely not. I have managed to find a tenuous balance and have maintained a low HA1c for several years now with only very occasional hypos by cautiously adjusting with both food and insulin dose. The main problem we encounter, I think, is that the speed of onset and duration of action of insulin and food are quite different. Insulin is much slower than almost all foods, so insulin taken has effects that last much longer than food ingested. So, even if one takes the right amount of insulin for the carbohydrate content of the food, a high peak glucose may occur. This may trigger one to take too much insulin to counteract it which will often result in a delayed hypo some hours later. When we have a hypo, we all tend to over dose the carbohydrate to fix it. My endocrinologist gave me a simple rule of thumb. She said treat hypos with a 15/15 dose. Take 15 grams of carbohydrate and wait 15 minutes before checking your glucose or making any further adjustments. This has worked well for me.
Another issue I've experienced is hypoglycemic unawareness. I don't feel symptoms until my glucose is dangerously low. Apparently, this is a common result of acclimation to prolonged and repeated low glucose. Fortunately, my wife has developed the ability to recognize it in me and alert me of it. I have learned (over 50+ years) to pay close attention to her advice, although she may contest that assertion.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post. My husband has had T1 since 15, now 45. On pump much more controlled than when we first met ten years ago when it seemed like I was regularly dialling 999 for bad hypos. He likes the pump and dafne approach because he can eat what he likes when he likes. But he has a lot of lows that mean he has to drink coke rapidly etc and he doesn't always make sense and is in hypo zone even though he can usually get himself out of it . I reckon 3-5 a week. Today was too low to take our young kids to school. Is this all normal? I know all the advice is you mustn't nag your spouse about their diabetes management or stand over them and make them eat regular meals - but I am finding it difficult. Is this just normal though for a T1?

If he is in a much better place than he was before the pump, that's better. But he's not cured and the odd hypo here and there is a ton better than hypers, if you want to reach old age together (as long as he doesn't drive while hypo, of course).

One thing he could consider is the effect of exercise on his blood sugar. That can be a confounding factor because the effects of exercise can show up hours later, even over the next few days.

Does he have the 'diabetic library'? That would be Pumping Insulin, and Think Like a Pancreas, and Diabetic Athlete's Handbook. The last one doesn't only cover actual sports but even things like housework and gardening and how to alter doses to suit.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Worryingwife

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you everyone for all the excellent advice and support. Really appreciate it. Completely agree it's for him to manage and of course you can never eliminate hypos. And yes maybe it should be him on the forum not me ;) I'll see if I can interest him in it (he is very resistant to being labelled as someone with diabetes). But you have all helped me understand it more; I just get worried particularly with us having young kids. Love the idea of a diabetic library!
Calferness your comment made me laugh....