PET scan and type 1 diabetes

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Dear diabetes friends,

My neurologist ordered a PET scan for me and i was wondering if anyone of you had a PET scan before and if there is any diabetics here that have been diagnosed with SPS (stiff persons syndrome which hits more diabetics then normal people).

Love to hear from you

Mari

DR_Hornet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What are your symptoms?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Edited by Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

Dear diabetes friends,

My neurologist ordered a PET scan for me and i was wondering if anyone of you had a PET scan before and if there is any diabetics here that have been diagnosed with SPS (stiff persons syndrome which hits more diabetics then normal people).

Love to hear from you

Mari
If you are suffering from stiff person's syndrome then I feel for you.
It is not well known but does affect people with other autoimmune disorder, i.e. diabetes Type1.

There is an explanation in this article which describes the symptoms.

http://www.movementdisorders.org/MDS/About/Movement-Disorder-Overviews/Stiff-Person-Syndrome.htm

Stiff person syndrome (SPS), first described by Moersch and Woltman in 1956, is a rare progressive movement disorder characterized by involuntary painful spasms and rigidity of muscles, usually involving the lower back and legs. This results in a typical clinical picture of stiff-legged gait with exaggerated lumbar hyperlordosis.

Structural MRIs of brain and spine are usually normal. The exact cause of classic SPS remains unknown but automimmune mechanisms are suspected to have a role. Antibodies to the enzyme glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD), have been detected and other autoimmune disorders such as diabetes, pernicious anemia, and thyroiditis occur more frequently in patients with SPS. 60-90% of classic SPS patients have very high anti-GAD titres, (usually over 20 nmol/l). Another important association is that of SPS with paraneoplastic syndromes. Mutations of the GLRA1 (glycine receptor) gene have also been identified to account for some cases of startle and limb stiffness.