Day 1 over

oldelse

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Managed to eat no carbs but did have quite a lot of fruit. Worried about waking up hungry as really bad sleeper but did sleep well. Also had my line dancing class and did 10000 Feel very tired this morning so that is not good for motivation

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of fruit did you eat a lot of? Fruit can contain loads of carbs so be careful if you are trying to eat low carb fruit may not be the way to go.
Regards
Mark

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Managed to eat no carbs but did have quite a lot of fruit. Worried about waking up hungry as really bad sleeper but did sleep well. Also had my line dancing class and did 10000 Feel very tired this morning so that is not good for motivation

If you had a lot of fruit you ate carbs. There is a lot in some fruit like bananas, oranges and tropical fruit in general.

The best in terms of lower carbs are: blueberries, rasps, black, strawbs:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Fruit and fruit juice do contain a lot of sugars. You need to eat more protein and fat to avoid feeling hungry.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Erm - LOW carb is NOT the same as NO carb: if you're eating fruit (or vegetables or nuts) you're definitely eating carbs, and with some fruit often quite a lot of them. The closest you can get to a NO carb diet is if you only eat protein and fats. You'll probably manage a lot better if you understand this.

Check nutritional labelling on food packaging and/or ask Google to find the carbohydrate content of what you're eating.

Robbity

Ps You may well feel a bit off when you're starting to really reduce you cabohydrate consumption, your body's trying to adjust to a (big) change in diet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

oldelse

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks Mark I did realise I had more fruit than usual. Normally stick to berries and I know bananas not good but potassium tends to be low so occasionally have half an almost green one

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 4 people

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try the MyFitnessPal app. It will calculate food macros and calories for you. The free version is good enough.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... I know bananas not good but potassium tends to be low so occasionally have half an almost green one
Bananas used to be my go-to source of potassium too before diabetes reared its ugly head, but there are other high potassium fruits and veggies that you can try instead: avocados for example, and they apparently have higher potassium content than bananas, and also contain fair quantities of magnesium that's also quite important for low carb diets. And spinach is something else that's very high. Brown mushrooms. fennel and celery are also pretty high too, and there are a number of recipes for soups made with a combination of these three - I make my own basic variation and call it my Potassium Soup. :p

Have a look at this site for more fruit and vegetables, but obviously some of them will also be high in carbs though.

Robbity