White bread worse than chocolate?

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to stay away from carbs, but sometimes I still eat some sweets, milk chocolate for example. Never was in hyper, even with chocolate. I have been only twice very high, over 200mg/dl and that's when i ate white bread. How is that possible? I mean, chocolate is almost pure sugar!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Chocolate is not pure sugar, there is lots of fat too. That's why it doesn't spike that badly. In bread there is no fat or fiber so yes, it hits us a bit faster than chocolate (unless you eat it with lot of butter or mayo)

Reactions: 4 people

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you meaning that fats decrease the sugar spikes?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
White table sugar is half glucose and half fructose. Fructose is what tastes sweet and does not raise blood glucose levels because it's not glucose. The carbs in bread flour are long chains of glucose. So, yes, white bread will raise your blood glucose more than table sugar.

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
White table sugar is half glucose and half fructose. Fructose is what tastes sweet and does not raise blood glucose levels because it's not glucose. The carbs in bread flour are long chains of glucose. So, yes, white bread will raise your blood glucose more than table sugar.
Is there fructose in white sugar? I don't use it at all so not sure. I thought it was sucrose mainly.
Comparing white bread and table sugar I think, white sugar will raise my sugar levels much faster than bread. I would love to treat hypo with a piece of baguette :)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Table sugar is sucrose, which is half glucose and half fructose:

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1465601000.965985.jpg

For sure bread will raise your blood glucose higher than white sugar, if comparing the same amount of calories.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Are you looking at portion sizes, comparatively, too?

are you comparing a slice of white bread to, say a couple of squares of milk chocolate?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Table sugar is sucrose, which is half glucose and half fructose:

View attachment 19421

For sure bread will raise your blood glucose higher than white sugar, if comparing the same amount of calories.

Do you know then why fructose in fruit generally spikes our BG?... The more fructose (banana and oranges) the bigger the spike.

I can get by pretty well with strawbs (8g carbs p 100g), blueberries (14g carbs p 100g), blackberries (10g carbs p 100g)...:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Do you know then why fructose in fruit generally spikes our BG?... The more fructose (banana and oranges) the bigger the spike.

I can get by pretty well with strawbs (8g carbs p 100g), blueberries (14g carbs p 100g), blackberries (10g carbs p 100g)...:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

It's likely not the fructose. Probably the starch and/or glucose.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's likely not the fructose. Probably the starch and/or glucose.

Ohhh thanks:)!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Is there fructose in white sugar? I don't use it at all so not sure. I thought it was sucrose mainly.
Comparing white bread and table sugar I think, white sugar will raise my sugar levels much faster than bread. I would love to treat hypo with a piece of baguette :)
I treat my hypos with protein.

Also i was told to have my dextrose tablets then had a carb dinner/meal. I did when i was pregnant but not now.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Amazing...always learning...I really didn't know the fructose in fruit has no affect on BGs... What a fascinating community this is:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Amazing...always learning...I really didn't know the fructose in fruit has no affect on BGs... What a fascinating community this is:)

@KevinPotts frutose is used as a sweetner in some foods. However i saw an article dissing that too, but cannot remember their point.
At one point i thought i had fatty liver due to too much fruit. My mum eats it in bucket fulls and her liver comes up clean. Mind u she isnt diabetic.
I guess its the starches in fruit and other foods caused my fatty liver. I no longer have fatty liver but still weigh 128.40kgs. The body is strange!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@KevinPotts frutose is used as a sweetner in some foods. However i saw an article dissing that too, but cannot remember their point.
At one point i thought i had fatty liver due to too much fruit. My mum eats it in bucket fulls and her liver comes up clean. Mind u she isnt diabetic.
I guess its the starches in fruit and other foods caused my fatty liver. I no longer have fatty liver but still weigh 128.40kgs. The body is strange!
Hi. I thought the body stores fructose as fat as it can't use it in the way it does glucose. This is why it is best to avoid too much?

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Yes it is strange ickihun, I too had fatty liver before being diagnosed with diabetes, I even had a liver biopsy 2yrs year to prove it. and when I went for my blood results in April this year my liver was normal , so fatty liver gone I think it has a lot to do with the LCHF diet as I do eat fruit in moderatiom, raspberries [ nearly every day ] blackberries weekly blueberries [a few times a week] 2-3 pears a week half a banana a week plums occasionally slices of apples with cheese and my BG levels are fine with this.:happy::happy::happy::happy:

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you looking at portion sizes, comparatively, too?

are you comparing a slice of white bread to, say a couple of squares of milk chocolate?

I'm comparing a roll of bread with an entire 125g milk chocolate table.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes it is strange ickihun, I too had fatty liver before being diagnosed with diabetes, I even had a liver biopsy 2yrs year to prove it. and when I went for my blood results in April this year my liver was normal , so fatty liver gone I think it has a lot to do with the LCHF diet as I do eat fruit in moderatiom, raspberries [ nearly every day ] blackberries weekly blueberries [a few times a week] 2-3 pears a week half a banana a week plums occasionally slices of apples with cheese and my BG levels are fine with this.:happy::happy::happy::happy:
Thanks @amgrundy. So starch it is then. I'm due a blood test on wednesday morning. The whole works.
It will be intersting to see the difference. Ive had a few carbs but mostly ice cream. Its my downfall at mo because the kids love it in this warm weather.
O/h loves fresh bread with butter. I had a bit of a stick yesterday with loads of butter on. I wont be making a habit of it.
I find bread worse than ice cream too on bgs. Bread lingers for sometimes 12hrs plus. Ice cream for less by about 4hrs less.
I know quality of cheaper flours not fantastic. I wonder if the quality of flour makes any difference. I now lower GI foods debates have been exhaused on here already but cheap bleached flour cannot do much for anyone!

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just recently posted a very similar question about sweets vs starches in the LCHF forum! The explanation I got was along the lines of what NoCrbs4Me's is saying here about sucrose vs glucose. I had never before heard about fructose acting differently either--my dietitian definitely either didn't know or chose not to mention this to me! It seems to contrary to "common sense" that I can have some "unhealthy" chocolate or licorice, but not "healthy" whole grain bread or brown rice, but that seems to be the way my body responds to things. Anyway, the good news is, a bit of chocolate (I do the very dark low-sugar) or some blueberries now & then seem to go well.