Moving abroad help!!

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello lovely people. In two weeks time I am moving to Abu Dhabi for 7 months on a musicians contract with the Sheraton. I am starting to really panic about where to get my insulin, how much it's going to cost and what insurance I'm going to need to purchase! Can anyone help with advice?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi There Miriamenily
just seen this post -- don't know much about the subject

I think insulin has to be paid for in abu dhabi.
but perhaps your employer there will provide some health cover insurance
for your employment

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Talk to your friendly GP! They should be able to give you 7 months of insulin in advance shouldn't they? 7 months sounds like you are still a tax payer in... Great Britain is it? Whatever country you are in at any rate, therefore probably still paying tax there and still able to receive subsidised medicine. If your home country has subsidised medicine? Even if you are having a tax holiday (which do exist in many countries - call your tax authority and find out?) - your GP will probably still have no problem prescribing you insulin in advance. Being a life-saving substance and all!

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi. There is no question that you will have access to insulin in Abu Dhabi, but as @AloeSvea has said, your doctor should be able to prescribe a certain amount to take with you..and/or make arrangements for you over there. If you have a diabetic team or an individual nurse you see - ask them for info. There is a lot online to check out. You absolutely don't need to worry or panic. Just ask the right people and be prepared. Preparation means travelling with less/no stress about it. Great opportunity..don't let this be a negative in there. People can advise you here, but only the appropriate person dealing with you can actually reassure you and get things in motion...so get organized. Enjoy the experience, pal. The link below will hopefully assist. Paul

http://www.healthtalk.org/young-peoples-experiences/diabetes-type-1/travelling-abroad

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Agree that your GP in the UK is likely to help you out before you go. Sounds exciting :)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Talk to your friendly GP! They should be able to give you 7 months of insulin in advance shouldn't they? 7 months sounds like you are still a tax payer in... Great Britain is it? Whatever country you are in at any rate, therefore probably still paying tax there and still able to receive subsidised medicine. If your home country has subsidised medicine? Even if you are having a tax holiday (which do exist in many countries - call your tax authority and find out?) - your GP will probably still have no problem prescribing you insulin in advance. Being a life-saving substance and all!
Thank you so much! I live in Scotland, so everything is free. I am going to see my gp and my diabetic dr and see what can be done. I think I'll phone the tax people and ask what I'm entitled to still because I'm not actually leaving uk residency. Also asked my agent what I class as whilst in Abu Dhabi because of different types of visas and I know I'm not an expat

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Agree that your GP in the UK is likely to help you out before you go. Sounds exciting :)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Thank you x

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. There is no question that you will have access to insulin in Abu Dhabi, but as @AloeSvea has said, your doctor should be able to prescribe a certain amount to take with you..and/or make arrangements for you over there. If you have a diabetic team or an individual nurse you see - ask them for info. There is a lot online to check out. You absolutely don't need to worry or panic. Just ask the right people and be prepared. Preparation means travelling with less/no stress about it. Great opportunity..don't let this be a negative in there. People can advise you here, but only the appropriate person dealing with you can actually reassure you and get things in motion...so get organized. Enjoy the experience, pal. The link below will hopefully assist. Paul

http://www.healthtalk.org/young-peoples-experiences/diabetes-type-1/travelling-abroad
Hopefully they will give me a six month supply, I know it's been done before! I think I just panicked because the people posting online said they couldn't buy over the counter at a pharmacy as it made their insurance void so it was costing up to 4000 dirham a month! I'll make appointments and get it sorted! I'll be using less out there daily with the heat anyway and the jumping about like a loony in stage !

Thanks for your advice :)

Reactions: 4 people

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you don't already have one, ask for insulin passports! My doctor gave me them before a trip to Columbia, mainly so I can carry insulin through security with proof, but also because they have enough information on them that local doctors know what type of insulin it is, in case you need any extra (and some paces have different names for things).

Good luck!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
If you don't already have one, ask for insulin passports! My doctor gave me them before a trip to Columbia, mainly so I can carry insulin through security with proof, but also because they have enough information on them that local doctors know what type of insulin it is, in case you need any extra (and some paces have different names for things).

Good luck!

Outstanding advice:)

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Good luck!
Is an insulin passport just details of what you take?

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hopefully they will give me a six month supply, I know it's been done before! I think I just panicked because the people posting online said they couldn't buy over the counter at a pharmacy as it made their insurance void so it was costing up to 4000 dirham a month! I'll make appointments and get it sorted! I'll be using less out there daily with the heat anyway and the jumping about like a loony in stage !

Thanks for your advice :)

I'd be like that too if I was going so far. I'm off to France in a bit and I am already stressed about getting everything arranged (I'm on maybe 15 different meds since my transplant), and I lived there before for about two years! I am sure you'll have a great time. I noticed that you are in Scotland...me too, so I'm sure it will all be straightforward once your team are involved. Have fun.

I see you are in Stirling. Small world...I'm in the sticks between Denny and Fintry. I don't think Stirlingshire caused my diabetes though - it was steroids!

Last edited by a moderator:

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you so much! I live in Scotland, so everything is free. I am going to see my gp and my diabetic dr and see what can be done. I think I'll phone the tax people and ask what I'm entitled to still because I'm not actually leaving uk residency. Also asked my agent what I class as whilst in Abu Dhabi because of different types of visas and I know I'm not an expat

My experience is that your GP will NOT prescribe months' worth of insulin in advance. As far as I know NHS regulations do not allow it. You will need to register with a doctor as soon as you arrive in Abu Dhabi and he/she will prescribe for you. You will probably find that there is a company Doctor and it will be very easy to get what you need (and cheap). As far as I know your GP is not allowed to prescribe more than 6 weeks in advance.
Also, if you have a work permit in AD, you are not officially domicile for in the UK for the period of your contract. That means you are not eligible to use the NHS in that period. They can get difficult with you for up to three months' after you return too. But most GPs don't. They keep you on their register while you are away so you don't lose your place, but they can't get a six-month prescription past the auditors.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'd be like that too if I was going so far. I'm off to France in a bit and I am already stressed about getting everything arranged (I'm on maybe 15 different meds since my transplant), and I lived there before for about two years! I am sure you'll have a great time. I noticed that you are in Scotland...me too, so I'm sure it will all be straightforward once your team are involved. Have fun.

I see you are in Stirling. Small world...I'm in the sticks between Denny and Fintry. I don't think Stirlingshire caused my diabetes though - it was steroids!
That's so close! I have a lot of family from Denny :) I am actually considering getting a pump. My hba1c is terrible and I am determined to get this sorted! Something isn't right in my doses whether it be my regime or my diet or the type of insulin I take something isn't right. My diabetic nurse has set me up with two pages that I can log all my bloods onto for her to observe and she will help me from here which I really appreciate!

Reactions: 2 people