Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya, yes the weather certainly does affect your blood glucose levels. I find I need less insulin as my body burns it up a lot quicker, whereas in the colder weather I need more.

Take care with your insulin storage too, keep it somewhere cool :cool:

Reactions: johnnel

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh very interesting, thanks for the information :)

Have a great day!
Heya, yes he weather certainly does affect your blood glucose levels. I find I need less insulin as my body burns it up a lot quicker, whereas in the colder weather I need more.

Take care with your insulin storage too, keep it somewhere cool :cool:

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Definitely. I keep dropping low and my daughter has had a hypo nearly everyday this week due to warm weather. It's wonderful!

We've gone the other way! Higher bloods and only 1 hypo in nearly 3 weeks.

Hotter weather or end of the honey moon period, I'm not sure but things are looking up at the min

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We've gone the other way! Higher bloods and only 1 hypo in nearly 3 weeks.

Hotter weather or end of the honey moon period, I'm not sure but things are looking up at the min

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
Its a real Dilemma, i struggle to keep control of my blood sugars as it is! Perhaps closer monitoring of my BS will ensure the best possible outcome.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
On my last two fishing trips in hot conditions I noticed that my BS level went from 6.1(at 9.30am two hours after breakfast) to 8.2 at 12.30 before lunch and with no snacking between times.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Yes my bgs go up in the heat ,good this diabetes thing eh lol

Barnowl49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can definitely go hypo more quickly when it is hot, although usually very stable, and I need to take less insulin. Is it the heat or do I eat less and have more salads?

Reactions: Dodo

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can definitely go hypo more quickly when it is hot, although usually very stable, and I need to take less insulin. Is it the heat or do I eat less and have more salads?
If you are adjusting your insulin for meals, then eating less should not be a problem. If you are on basal dose only, or fixed doses, then it may need to be adjusted.

it may just be that in warmer times, you are more active and so use up the bg at a faster rate,

westwoodsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mine definitely goes down during hot weather, went to Turkey last year was in the 90's all week perfect to slightly low bs on all inclusive too (didn't go mad tho couple more ice creams perhaps!!) I think I need to move to a warmer climate for my diabetes that's my excuse anyway

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, temperature does impact. I find usually I have higher BGLs in heat and lower in cold temps. But also I don't tolerate heat and can tolerate cold better. I physically feel sick if I'm too hot.... I think my body stresses from it and that's why I get the higher BGLs in hot weather.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Thanks for this thread. I had no idea heat can destabilise blood sugar. I'm now aware:)!

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

cjj

I was just curios if weather had an affect on diabetics blood sugar

Also is insulin as efficient when it's really hot as it is right now. Can't complain though I suppose!

Shout out to all my fellow diabetic today, keep smiling :)

i'm not a fan of hot weather, as i sweat a lot, i'm not overweight either and have had type1 for 40yrs, now 55. hot weather suits darker skinned people whereas i'm very fair complexion. insulin doesn't keep very well in the heat either. as a tv cameraman, i've travelled the globe more times than most people have had hot dinners. and have worked in some very hot and inhospitable places. i've also found that the insulin doesn't seem to absorb in the body properly in extreme heat, causing my bs's to be high a lot, it's difficult day to day anyway to keep sugar levels at a sensible level unless you're sat at a desk fiddling with a computer all day then there is no excuse not to have good sugar levels.

micksmixxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was just curios if weather had an affect on diabetics blood sugar

Also is insulin as efficient when it's really hot as it is right now. Can't complain though I suppose!

Shout out to all my fellow diabetic today, keep smiling :)

Hi, Mark.

My personal experience is that warm/hot weather tends to lower my blood glucose levels ... sometimes quite dramatically (I 'clapped out' earlier today and required my wife to pick me up from the floor and put me onto my hospital bed ... the bed is at our home, not in hospital). This is because heat potentiates the effects of insulin, which means that it makes insulin work more efficiently. (This is one of the reasons that SOME people experience hypoglycaemia after having a bath or shower.)

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think that dehydration occurs more frequently in hot weather and that dehydration causes rises in bloodsugars

Thanks, was wondering what the causal link was:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

15/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the impact of weather on blood sugar is really more pronounced in those who are injecting insulin - the causal link being increased temperature = increased blood flow to the skin (& injection sites) & therefore more effective/efficient insulin absorption. Or, because your diabetes may vary, increased temperature = less blood flow to the skin, because your body isn't working to try & keep you warm (think shivering) & therefore less effective insulin absorption. Bodies are so contrary!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think the impact of weather on blood sugar is really more pronounced in those who are injecting insulin - the causal link being increased temperature = increased blood flow to the skin (& injection sites) & therefore more effective/efficient insulin absorption. Or, because your diabetes may vary, increased temperature = less blood flow to the skin, because your body isn't working to try & keep you warm (think shivering) & therefore less effective insulin absorption. Bodies are so contrary!

Thanks for the detailed explanation:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

ninasings

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals, Ignorant behaviour, Misogynists
Hi dehydration is the worst problem for me in hot weather....Can't seem to drink enough water. Interesting to read the info about skin temperature etc.

ninasings

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals, Ignorant behaviour, Misogynists
Sorry I should have written...that I'm on Lantus at night 44 units and Novo Rapid according to carbs in meals.
bg's go up and down and have allergies sensitivities to the ingredients in Insulin. NO point talking to doc about it though.