I'm told by a lady at work that testing my BS before and 2 hrs after food is really bad for me!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I was told today at work by a non-diabetic that self testing was bad for me quote "You're testing far too much. You don't need to test before and after meals, it's asking for trouble" I just walked away, I thought there isn't any point in arguing with her and I couldn't be bothered! She's already told me that my weight loss is bad for me, LCHF is bad for me...... doom and gloom!
Well today my sugar levels were in the low 6's (lowest for a while) so I must be doing something REALLY bad/wrong :confused:;):eek::rolleyes:o_O:wacky::wideyed::woot::***::dead: :)

Reactions: 21 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told today at work by a non-diabetic that self testing was bad for me quote "You're testing far too much. You don't need to test before and after meals, it's asking for trouble" I just walked away, I thought there isn't any point in arguing with her and I couldn't be bothered! She's already told me that my weight loss is bad for me, LCHF is bad for me...... doom and gloom!
Well today my sugar levels were in the low 6's (lowest for a while) so I must be doing something REALLY bad/wrong :confused:;):eek::rolleyes:o_O:wacky::wideyed::woot::***::dead: :)

She's just envious of you success. And insecure people need to try to put other people down to be able to make themselves feel better...

You have my sympathy though! I hate these ignorant instant experts! I have one at home, who told me after a slightly heated discussion that I didn't understand anything about LCHF diets and didn't know what i was doing! :wideyed::banghead: Now I often wonder to myself how on earth did I manage to improve both my weight and glucose levels so much in my blissful state of total ignorance, and what miracles I might well have performed if I did actually know what I was doing...:D

Robbity

Reactions: 6 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
well done @berylc :) As for your work colleague... she has no right to speak to you that way. I'd just ask her where is her medical degree... that should shut her up. I have ignorant people around me at times too but not many of them even know I'm diabetic though. They have a go at me though about my illnesses they can 'hear'. I get all sorts of comments like "you need some honey and lemon for that throat of yours". "When are you going to be back on the phones?" (I work in a call environment). I think they're just ignorant and rude at the same time. I have had comments when from people about me being on insulin too... "oh you must have the bad type". ugh. I guess I just see it as a trigger to educate them.

Reactions: 4 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type 1 now my mom still asks me why I test so much. Maybe I should just put that thing away for awhile. Lol. She means well but has no clue

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Wow great control.. I'm afraid would have unleashed a torrent of unrepeatables on a family friendly forum... hehe

Reactions: 5 people

TabbyL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My work colleagues just look me up and down (I'm a big girl) and nod in that 'fat people are asking for diabetes' way...

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I've lost just over 2 st in weight and I'm being told at work (always by the same 3 women) that I'm taking it too far. One said she would pray for me not to get ill with the weight loss:banghead: Doesn't understand that I was ill when I was just over 11st! I'm 5ft 2in and now weigh 9st 1lb I'm aiming for 8st 8lbs, the nurse says to go for 8st
Oh yes and the other thing I was told was "Oh you have the good diabetes. T2 is better" o_O I just walk away and think what numpties (the best word I can come up with on a Sunday!)
One young man at work told me "Your bum is much smaller now, looks good" That type of comment I can accept :happy:;)

Reactions: 10 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Started a new job last week.
So, I'm in the office squeezing out the blood and my colleague walks in & informs me where the first aid box is. It's OK, I said, I got a meter. Cool. This guy lets it go!

But a second coworker pipes up from his computer "I have a friend that's T1". Oh, here we go thinks I the "fountain of knowledge"...
Actually I was being a little unkind. He was a genuine supportive guy & his "female T1freind" was going through the "honeymoon" & had bloods all over the place. He had a few misconceptions. But nothing he wasn't prepared to be put straight on..

Lol, & mainly because this was a modern "Cyrano de Bergerac" story, with the focus on the T1 girl...! ;)

Reactions: 9 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Beryl, It really gets to me when people who know nothing about Diabetes poke heir nose in. I bumped into a couple of people the other day whom I had not seen for a while, one asked had I been ill as I had lost weight, the other said gosh you look well have you been on a diet. To which I replied I have been diagnosed with diabetes in Jan this year had not felt well for a while, but now after losing the weight through the LCHF way of eating I feel better and fitter than I have in a long time.

The first lady said, oh dear! that's awful but don't loose anymore weight or you will be ill :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: what does she know !!!! another person with ignorance.:clown::clown: The second lady said I'm sorry about the diabetes must I must say you look so well, I think I need to go on that diet too, and asked me about it. Then yesterday my daughter told me that a friend of hers told her that she had seen me the other day, and said to her < your mum has lost loads of weight and she looks great, has she been on a diet? >. So now when people ask me have I been on a diet I say yes and don't mention the diabetes part. Some people are ignorant others just don't undrerstand. You keep doing what your doing, you are a winner like the rest of us. :)

Reactions: 8 people

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost just over 2 st in weight and I'm being told at work (always by the same 3 women) that I'm taking it too far. One said she would pray for me not to get ill with the weight loss:banghead: Doesn't understand that I was ill when I was just over 11st! I'm 5ft 2in and now weigh 9st 1lb I'm aiming for 8st 8lbs, the nurse says to go for 8st
Oh yes and the other thing I was told was "Oh you have the good diabetes. T2 is better" o_O I just walk away and think what numpties (the best word I can come up with on a Sunday!)
One young man at work told me "Your bum is much smaller now, looks good" That type of comment I can accept :happy:;)

ooh dear berylc, that's beginning to sound a bit like bullying and ganging up on you. I can only assume that they're jealous of your svelte figure, and petite ways - which they cannot hope to achieve for themselves - so putting you down makes them feel better. It's good to let it wash over you sometimes, but if they keep it up, then I think a fairly strong retort may be called for, before it becomes too regular to take a swipe at beryl.

Actually, even the young man's comment, whilst it is complimentary and nice to receive, would he say that if he didn't hear other people making comments, .... and would he say that to anyone else, like a man for instance ....

Sorry, I'm not really an old :grumpy: but I was a Human Resources Manager in another life & had to deal with staff complaints about this sort of thing loads of times :)

BTW - I'm also jealous of you - great results on the weight loss :D

Reactions: 5 people

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ooh dear berylc, that's beginning to sound a bit like bullying and ganging up on you. I can only assume that they're jealous of your svelte figure, and petite ways - which they cannot hope to achieve for themselves - so putting you down makes them feel better. It's good to let it wash over you sometimes, but if they keep it up, then I think a fairly strong retort may be called for, before it becomes too regular to take a swipe at beryl.

Actually, even the young man's comment, whilst it is complimentary and nice to receive, would he say that if he didn't hear other people making comments, .... and would he say that to anyone else, like a man for instance ....

Sorry, I'm not really an old :grumpy: but I was a Human Resources Manager in another life & had to deal with staff complaints about this sort of thing loads of times :)

BTW - I'm also jealous of you - great results on the weight loss :D

He said it after one lady said I was getting too thin and would pray :) Doesn't normally make those comments, a nice polite lad.

Reactions: 8 people

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Beryl, It really gets to me when people who know nothing about Diabetes poke heir nose in. I bumped into a couple of people the other day whom I had not seen for a while, one asked had I been ill as I had lost weight, the other said gosh you look well have you been on a diet. To which I replied I have been diagnosed with diabetes in Jan this year had not felt well for a while, but now after losing the weight through the LCHF way of eating I feel better and fitter than I have in a long time.

The first lady said, oh dear! that's awful but don't loose anymore weight or you will be ill :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: what does she know !!!! another person with ignorance.:clown::clown: The second lady said I'm sorry about the diabetes must I must say you look so well, I think I need to go on that diet too, and asked me about it. Then yesterday my daughter told me that a friend of hers told her that she had seen me the other day, and said to her < your mum has lost loads of weight and she looks great, has she been on a diet? >. So now when people ask me have I been on a diet I say yes and don't mention the diabetes part. Some people are ignorant others just don't undrerstand. You keep doing what your doing, you are a winner like the rest of us. :)

A few folk I've met 'up the street' and not seen for a while have commented on my weight loss, most very supportive. One very elderly lady told me not to lose more as I will make myself ill!!!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He said it after one lady said I was getting too thin and would pray :) Doesn't normally make those comments, a nice polite lad.

Oh, that's good - context makes all the difference :) Sounds like he was being very supportive, telling you that you look good, and to ignore the old bat.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

@berylc I'm thinking you know what is best for you, given what you've achieved and though you may work with them it don't mean they know anything about what you've been through and your future.
All power to you.

Reactions: 2 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@berylc everyone is a bleeding expert aren't they. I had 'you've got the good one', 'oh you can't have it bad as you aren't fat'.

You are doing amazing - keep going. I'm pretty sure you aren't going to let these bullies affect you, just make sure you don't. I'd try to avoid contact with them - or if you can't catch them out by questioning how they know so much about diabetes treatment. I threw that back at someone, they didn't know how to answer.

Best of luck, and keep up your good work :):):)

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
@berylc, you are a star and as one of our politicos once said...yes .... "Do t let the guffaws get you down". Keep testing, keep smiling and try as much as possible to prevent the "dripping taps" from entering your circle of life:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They're definitely jealous! I'd just laugh at them. That guy sounds fab :)