Erythritol and monk fruit extract

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found this erythritol and monk fruit sugar at our local Bulk Barn http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en/Products/All/Monk-Fruit-Erythritol,-non-GMO,-naturally-sourced, (you will need to add the comma manually to the end of the link to see the product). It's 100g carbs per 100g of sugar. I'm just wondering if would be any good for us diabetics? I know monk fruit is not exactly low carb but it's better then plain white sugar (from what I've read).

Thanks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its 100% carb...don't think that would help me very much...

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yeah that's why I was asking. I know monk fruit isn't really low carb but I thought the erythritol would be so not sure why it's 100% carbs.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah that's why I was asking. I know monk fruit isn't really low carb but I thought the erythritol would be so not sure why it's 100% carbs.
me neither.. sounds a bit untested at the moment.. personally i try to avoid sweet things anyway..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that erythritol is a carb, it is just not absorbed by the digestive tract.
So they have to label it as one.
The monk sugar, I have never heard of.

Maybe search to see what the GI/GL of monk sugar is?

Edited in view of Robbity's link below: Erythritol is absorbed, but not used by the body, and is therefore excreted in the urine unused. So counts as 0 cal, but has carbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Erythritol is one of the alternative sweeteners recommended and safest for diabetic use as it doesn't raise glucose levels and has very few or no side effects. Although it's very high in carbs these can't and don't get digested, so can't have any effect on our glucose levels. It can be found naturally in some fruits, and is one of a group of sugar alcohols/polyols all of which contain a very high percentage of indigestible carbs. However most of these other sugar alcohols can also have some quite unpleasant gastric side effects - wind, bloating and the "runs".

I've used erythritol in combination with stevia for sweetening and in baking nearly two and a half years now , and it doesn't raise my glucose levels.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythritol

Robbity

Last edited by a moderator:

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So I made some ice cream with it. 2 cups heavy cream (35%), 1 cup milk (2%), 1/2 cup of the monk fruit blend and 2 tsp vanilla. Mix it all together and toss it in the ice cream maker. Fight with it for 20 to 25 minutes and boom, home made ice cream.

The results: It tasted really sweet and almost had a whipped cream taste and texture. So next time may be a little less cream and a bit more milk. I had about 1 cups of it. The wife and son had about the same amount. We still have about a cup left in the freezer.

Hows the BG you ask? Well I started at a 6.3. It was higher then normal because I had a couple slices of pizza 3 hours earlier. Sorry but I still like pizza. An hour after the ice cream it was still at 6.3. After two hours I was down to a 5.4. So over all I don't think it had that much of an effect on me. I'll try it again in a couple of days to see for sure.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I found this erythritol and monk fruit sugar at our local Bulk Barn http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en/Products/All/Monk-Fruit-Erythritol,-non-GMO,-naturally-sourced, (you will need to add the comma manually to the end of the link to see the product). It's 100g carbs per 100g of sugar. I'm just wondering if would be any good for us diabetics? I know monk fruit is not exactly low carb but it's better then plain white sugar (from what I've read).

Thanks.

If what you said is correct 100% carbs it will be a nightmare for the majority of diabetics.,. Sorry

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Digger-i-doo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @satkins. I've been buying that exact product from Bulk Barn and using it regularly in my low-carb desserts. Doesn't spike me at all. As @Robbity notes, erythritol may be high in carbs, but since they pass through your body without being absorbed they don't impact BG levels. There's a fair bit of info online about it, e.g. http://www.wheatbelly.com/articles/sweeteners

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If what you said is correct 100% carbs it will be a nightmare for the majority of diabetics.,. Sorry
Have a look at our other posts here regarding erythritol: those 100g carbs are not actually digestible so should have no effect at all on glucose levels. Weird and somewhat unbelievable maybe, but true, fortunately for us!

Robbity

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Have a look at our other posts here regarding erythritol: those 100g carbs are not actually digestible so should have no effect at all on glucose levels. Weird and somewhat unbelievable maybe, but true, fortunately for us!

Robbity

What... Not digestible. Curiouser and curiouser:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.