Dexcom G5 vs libre

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I've been using the libre since it launched and find it overall a good bit of kit, despite its niggles and occasional issues.
Now I am thinking about getting a Dexcom G5 as I like the idea of the alerts to your smart phone /device, rather than manually scanning.
I know the cost is more but does anyone have any experience of the G5 and particularly of both devices ? Is the G5 accurate any bugs etc, any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't used either - so do feel free to ignore me - I do use the G4. I understand that the main difference between the dexcom and the libre are that the dexcom will continuously be pulling your readings to the receiver (or phone with the G5) so you don't need to scan. This allows you to set alarms for a high alert, low alert, dropping fast, rising fast - so the dexcom can be more proactive and alert you.

Worth bearing in mind re cost of a dexcom - you can get 21 days + out of a dexcom sensor.

In terms of accuracy/reliability I think dexcom & libre are pretty much on a level, perhaps with dexcom slightly ahead but not in a way that would have any real impact on how you use it day to day.

If the proactive alerts appeal (if you want to be woken up at night so you can correct) or if the convenience of receiving readings on your phone is a big plus for you, the G5 might be worth the additional expense.

iHs

The 21 Days might be possible for the G4 but not the G5. It's accuracy starts to change after 7 days .

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't used either - so do feel free to ignore me - I do use the G4. I understand that the main difference between the dexcom and the libre are that the dexcom will continuously be pulling your readings to the receiver (or phone with the G5) so you don't need to scan. This allows you to set alarms for a high alert, low alert, dropping fast, rising fast - so the dexcom can be more proactive and alert you.

Worth bearing in mind re cost of a dexcom - you can get 21 days + out of a dexcom sensor.

In terms of accuracy/reliability I think dexcom & libre are pretty much on a level, perhaps with dexcom slightly ahead but not in a way that would have any real impact on how you use it day to day.

If the proactive alerts appeal (if you want to be woken up at night so you can correct) or if the convenience of receiving readings on your phone is a big plus for you, the G5 might be worth the additional expense.
Great thanks !

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The 21 Days might be possible for the G4 but not the G5. It's accuracy starts to change after 7 days .
Thanks - when you say it changes after 7 days, do you mean it becomes more or less accurate. If it becomes more accurate does this mean it isn't accurate for the first 7 days ?

iHs

It starts to get less accurate some of the time......so a bit variable and less trustworthy when compared with bg testing. At the current prices, buying the G5 transmitter every 50 days is going to be too much money for most people

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also use G4 and agree with all that @catapillar wrote.

I would add that you may consider also G4 as an option. At the same time I have to admit I am also looking into G5 as having the glucose data available in one's phone seems quite tempting.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as sensor life is concerned, different people have different experiences. My last one did 26 days but I usually expect 3 weeks. Others struggle to get the full 7 days.
As to G5 v G4 sensors, well for now they are exactly the same, so there is no reason for sensor life to be any different. Dexcom are going to introduce a simpler insertion system for the G5 & the sensor itself may change then, I don't know.

I can monitor my G4 readings on my phone & Pebble watch via a DIY xDrip box & software. Have a look at:
http://stephenblackwasalreadytaken.github.io/xDrip/
The main cost difference between G4 & G5 is the transmitter. G5 transmitters stop after 3 months, G4 are warranted for 6 months & can last 12 or 13 months.
UK costs have come down significantly since Dexcom started selling direct here

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was one of the first to begin wearing the G5 system and I'm on day 13 of my current sensor. In my experience, the sensor is most accurate from days 2-15 (sometimes longer).

I've been on 15 planes in less than a month and have stayed in hotels more than I've stayed in my own bed. My Dexcom G5 has been an integral part of allowing my hectic schedule to be very manageable.

I've always believed that a CGM is not a replacement for finger testing (and most agree). It serves a much more valuable purpose.

-I can sleep at night knowing that my blood sugar isn't trending down and going to cause a hypo.

-I know to give myself a 4-5 mmol/l correction dose in the morning even though I often wake up with bloods below 6-7. If I don't correct, it will jump to 15 WITHOUT food or drink.

-I can drive without fear.
-I can drink (the occasional) alcoholic drink without fear.
-I can run 10 miles without fear, or lift weights for 1.5hrs without fear.

It's not fool proof but what is?...at least in terms of diabetes management. Insulin, finger tests, carbs, and everything else doesn't always behave as it should just like a CGM doesn't.

At in all, it's extremely valuable to me because of the peace of mind. It's something that shouldn't be obsessed over but it's an extra layer (and a very strong one at that) of protection from highs/lows.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 6 people

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Based on my personal experience of using G4 for almost a year now, the sensor works very well for 14 days. I have had the occasional sensor perform well for 21 days but that was an exception. I now routinely replace the sensor after it has been in for 14 days.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The length of sensor use is dependant upon the user's body chemistry, I get between 25 and 30 days on each, however I know of two people who struggled to get 7 days and in the end gave up on the Dexcom.

For me its a life changer - I've been IDD for 45 years and only today was told I'd got my HBa1c down to its lowest ever at 6.1, I could never have done this without my pump and CGM.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The length of sensor use is dependant upon the user's body chemistry, I get between 25 and 30 days on each, however I know of two people who struggled to get 7 days and in the end gave up on the Dexcom.

For me its a life changer - I've been IDD for 45 years and only today was told I'd got my HBa1c down to its lowest ever at 6.1, I could never have done this without my pump and CGM.

Yup. CGM got me to sub-6 and open loop pancreas software with pump got my glycaemic variability below 30%.

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What is glycaemic variability ? (for the un educated)
It's the standard deviation of your glucose levels about the mean . Ideally, it is less than a third of your average blood glucose level.

iHs

My lowest hba1c with a pump has been 6.4% and lower carbing. I was just skating above the hypo level with some 4mmol bg levels but also bg testing every 2hrs. As long as my bg can stay most of the time between my target levels of 6mmol, 8.5mmol and 6mmol, I don't worry about complications. Although I use cgm while I can afford it, I don't need to rely on it and can sense the hypo feeling without the cgm, when bg drops to 3.8 to 3.5mmol (I test after treating the low just to confirm that I was correct to treat.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not low carbing, I am aiming to keep my BG's between 4 and 8 as well as taking my meal bolus initial insulin (like the old days) 30 mins or earlier before meals and then with the pump spreading the rest (is this called sugar surfing ?).

This is working really well for me and I'm not suffering from lots of lows like I had in the past.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pre bolusing is part of sugar surfing, but sugar surfing (as a concept) is really more about using your CGM to be proactive in keeping your blood sugar within target so you can make small changes (micro bolusing or 4g so glucose) before you hit your high or low lines to "nudge" it back to where you want it to be. So you do something when you see the arrow change, rather than when the alarm goes off to tell you you have gone yellow/red.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pre bolusing is part of sugar surfing, but sugar surfing (as a concept) is really more about using your CGM to be proactive in keeping your blood sugar within target so you can make small changes (micro bolusing or 4g so glucose) before you hit your high or low lines to "nudge" it back to where you want it to be. So you do something when you see the arrow change, rather than when the alarm goes off to tell you you have gone yellow/red.

This is what I do :) so I am but not as I explained above :)