I wonder what you make of this...

frenchkittie

Thirsty said:
This thread is of interest to all diabetics. If it's shown to be the case that maintaining very low BG levels is dangerous, then shouldn't we all know about it?

To be fair... firstly it was you that posted it in the low carb forum in the first place Thirsty, secondly it is a study of type 2 diabetics, and thirdly, I'm type 1, but am reading it all the same :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Thirsty said:
cugila said:
As this is a thread of interest to Type 2 Diabetics the thread title has been changed to avoid confusion.

It has also been moved to the Type 2 area.

This thread is of interest to all diabetics. If it's shown to be the case that maintaining very low BG levels is dangerous, then shouldn't we all know about it?

No doubt cugila will censor this post or change my wording as he sees fit.

No. i have no intention of editing your post. I find it amusing. I shall leave it here for all to see.

Your insulting message to me this morning was much appreciated. I like to start the day with a joke. :lol:

The members here saw fit to get annoyed about a post you made which as you say yourself to me was deliberately provocative towards low carbers. That is a breach of Forum rules. I would normally deal with this via pm, however YOU chose to put this on the board, not I.

The Moderating team, decided to rename it because of comments made later, the moderating team decided to move it to a more appropriate area. This was explained to you, yet still you chose instead to criticise me personally.

I am part of a team who was asked to do those things here. I am sorry you feel somewhat annoyed.........shoot the messenger is always the way to go, isn't it !

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Back to the study!!!
With this Medpage article
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinolo ... etes/18170
there is an an audio clip in which Richard Bergenstal of the ADA discusses the hypoglycaemia 'theory' mentioned by Graham. He suggests that this may not be the explanation , recent further analysis of the Accord trials had not found an association between hypos and lower HbA1c levels in that trial
It's worth following the link 'Still no culprit for excess mortality', which describes this in more detail.

C

catherinecherub

Anybody out there?

catherinecherub said:
This was a 22 year study of Type 2 diabetics, 50 years and older when the study started.
What I would like to know is if there is anyone on the forum who was 50yrs. old or older when the study started and who still has good control without any medication, regardless of how they manage their diabetes.
I have been a Type 2 for 7yrs. and to date am managing to control my diabetes with diet alone. Is it inevitable that in the future I will need medication or can someone categorically say that they are still managing this way after 20yrs.plus? I cannot find any studies that say that diet alone will control it forever.
I posted this in another thread, "I wonder what you make of this", and would be pleased if anyone has this experience of Type 2 and can answer.

Thirsty

frenchkittie said:
Thirsty said:

To be fair... firstly it was you that posted it in the low carb forum in the first place Thirsty, secondly it is a study of type 2 diabetics, and thirdly, I'm type 1, but am reading it all the same :)

To be fair, I originally posted this in the diabetes discussion forum. It seems to be the case that some people took exception to a post which I consider to be of interest to all diabetics.

Have another look at the link I posted. It is the case that folks here are being advised by many to maintain BG levels that, according to this research, may be dangerous.

I didn't write the report, nor am I sure that the conclusions drawn are correct. I just thought that it should be brought to everyone's attention.

"and they only studied people over 50 for some reason"

Perhaps those over 50 were more likely to die within a reasonable timescale thus providing researchers with the cause or causes of death and thus analyse the likelihood of any relationship between recorded treatments, HbA1c etc . If some, all or most of the sausages did not die the long study would still be running.