LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

adriangoatseye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Banks
I haven't posted for while but I owe a huge thanks to this forum for the massive difference made to my life this year. At the start of this year I was, similar to a poster above, overweight (15st 3lbs), feeling drained all the time and getting breathless easily. In January a pre-op revealed a HbAC1 level of 51 (making me diabetics). I was lucky in that I cut sugar out immediately and stuck to a fairly decent meat and two veg diet which meant that in early March I recorded 47. At that point I had just started a LCHF diet with calorie counting and 5:2 and my weight had come down to 14st 10lbs. Today I am 12st 13lbs and I feel like I did when in my 20s. My relationship with my young daughters is way better because I have the energy to deal with them (before I was grumpy, tired and dismissive). At the present time I am letting more naughty stuff into my diet but sticking with calorie counting (loosely) and the 5:2 (strictly). TBH the naughty stuff doesn't come in bucket loads because I haven't just dieted down but have actually changed the way I eat for my lifetime (hopefully). I never want to go back to how I was before. I have learned so much about what to eat over the last five months and today was looking at how I can take courses to understand diet and nutrition and the science behind it. The one thing I have thought is that losing around 15 per cent of my bodyweight was much easier than I would ever have believed. You just need to read and understand and put it into action.

Reactions: 6 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done @adriangoatseye! Great weight reduction and your HbA1c figures should be coming down too. Keep up the good work!:)

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have just received my 3 monthly HbA1C results. In 3 months, by following a LCHF diet (with very few slip ups) and Metformin SR 2g a day, I have gone from 111, to 65. Well chuffed. Celebrated with a cup of coffee and cream out.

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
When diagnosed with diabetes I weighed 16 stone 3 Lbs that was 13 months ago, my current weight is 13 stone 2 Lbs. The reason I am putting these thoughts into words is I just cut my toenails with ease! 13 months ago to cut my toenails was agony I couldn't breath I cut 1 or 2 toenails then I would have to straighten up until I could get my breath it had got so bad I was thinking of paying a chiropodist to cut my nails for me, now I can cut them with ease and no need to stop. I went on a low carb high fat lifestyle and although difficult at first it is now a part of my new life. My blood sugar was 17.5 the last 7 days it has averaged 5.8 so I am delighted, I would not have lost the weight and I haven't finished yet my target is 12 stone none of this would or could have happened until I had the diagnoses. So I am so thankful to my doctor and nurses and to diabetes.co.uk between you all I think you have given me a much better life and hopefully a longer one.

Terrific story... Congrats:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have just received my 3 monthly HbA1C results. In 3 months, by following a LCHF diet (with very few slip ups) and Metformin SR 2g a day, I have gone from 111, to 65. Well chuffed. Celebrated with a cup of coffee and cream out.

BOOM... You're in the big league now... What a result. I bet the doc was impressed:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I haven't posted for while but I owe a huge thanks to this forum for the massive difference made to my life this year. At the start of this year I was, similar to a poster above, overweight (15st 3lbs), feeling drained all the time and getting breathless easily. In January a pre-op revealed a HbAC1 level of 51 (making me diabetics). I was lucky in that I cut sugar out immediately and stuck to a fairly decent meat and two veg diet which meant that in early March I recorded 47. At that point I had just started a LCHF diet with calorie counting and 5:2 and my weight had come down to 14st 10lbs. Today I am 12st 13lbs and I feel like I did when in my 20s. My relationship with my young daughters is way better because I have the energy to deal with them (before I was grumpy, tired and dismissive). At the present time I am letting more naughty stuff into my diet but sticking with calorie counting (loosely) and the 5:2 (strictly). TBH the naughty stuff doesn't come in bucket loads because I haven't just dieted down but have actually changed the way I eat for my lifetime (hopefully). I never want to go back to how I was before. I have learned so much about what to eat over the last five months and today was looking at how I can take courses to understand diet and nutrition and the science behind it. The one thing I have thought is that losing around 15 per cent of my bodyweight was much easier than I would ever have believed. You just need to read and understand and put it into action.

Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed personal summary.... It's an inspiration:)

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Re: Success stories

Well, since I suggested this thread, I suppose I had better go first. Apologies to those of you who have heard it before.

I have had type 1 diabetes for 27 years. For the first 20 of those I had gradually worsening health - increasing blood glucose, insulin use, hypoglycemia attacks and weight. I followed an approved diet based around starchy carbohydrates and low in fat.
In 2000 I began trying to reverse my decline by restricting carbohyrates in my diet and replacing them with more meat, fish, vegetables, eggs, dairy foods and nuts, although I received no encouragement from my doctors in using this approach. The results have been remarkable.

2000: HbA1c 7.6%, BMI 29, HDL 1.7, LDL 2.4, triglyceride 0.7, daily insulin use ~80 units

2008: HbA1c 4.7%, BMI 22, HDL 3.1, LDL 1.8, triglyceride 0.5, daily insulin use ~ 20 units

I have always tried to look after myself, staying physically active and working hard. I have never consciously reduced my calorie intake. I believe all diabetics should be made aware of the potential benefits of such a diet before deciding how to deal with their condition.

fergus
I have had type 1 for 54 years (am coming up to 63 yrs old) & have always used low carb diet (with insulin). I have never had any signs of retinopathy, have very good kidney and liver function, normal cholesterol, blood pressure etc etc etc--no complications in any shape or form. I also exercise a lot!!! No medics ever ask me about my diet or how I manage my diabetes. I have only seen a dietician once since 1968 and she had no idea how much cho was in a slice of bread and kept on asking me the same questions again and again which was exceptionally tedious!!! HBA1C is always between 4-7 (and has been for years now--when blood testing sticks 1st came in doc would not believe that bm was always 4 before meals --I had no idea what that meant as hadn't been explained to me at that stage--kind of took wind out of doc's sails)!!! Keeping low cho diet also affects other things like blood pressure --when I was pregnant with 2nd child there was some consternation about fact that blood pressure always remained the same whether lying down, sitting up, standing up (part of a student's research). I did all 3 very quickly whilst having blood pressure taken. I had many docs and nurses in room taking blood pressure & many different BP machines used. Eventually all were in corners of room whispering so I asked if anything was wrong, I was told yes because I should have high BP for 3 reasons a) diabetic b) long standing diabetes (coming up to 30 years & c) 6 months pregnant. I stated that that must be a good thing--medics response was that I had ruined their research!! I trained in ballet, danced in Italian Operetta Company and other professional jobs in theatre, Finished my degree at 50 and teacher training at 52. Low cho diet was definitely contributory to all of this and made keeping blood sugars within normal range much easier over very many years. When dietary recommendations changed and I was told I could can eat what I wanted & should have loads of pasta, bread and carbs I ignored it--just couldn't be a**** basically--why mend something if it is not broken?

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Popped in to Gap yesterday as they had a sale on, and, and tried on some 32in waist jeans as now needing a belt for my new 34in ones, but they were too big, so with only a bit of a squeeze, tried 30in and they fit! This is down from 36in waist 3 months ago. The downside is, I now can't borrow my 17yo son's pants anymore, as he's a 32 waist.

Totally made up with this, and can't wait for diabetic nurse appt tomorrow to find out my first results.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Popped in to Gap yesterday as they had a sale on, and, and tried on some 32in waist jeans as now needing a belt for my new 34in ones, but they were too big, so with only a bit of a squeeze, tried 30in and they fit! This is down from 36in waist 3 months ago. The downside is, I now can't borrow my 17yo son's pants anymore, as he's a 32 waist.

Totally made up with this, and can't wait for diabetic nurse appt tomorrow to find out my first results.
Do what I do and wear a pair of braces. Then many sizes fit one.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
That is a great result congratulations and keep it up

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I haven't posted for while but I owe a huge thanks to this forum for the massive difference made to my life this year.
Fantastic result both on the BG and the great weight-loss. And what a great reward to be able to keep up with the kids. I agree re this forum. Congratulations

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, just returned from the meeting with diabetic nurse, and got my HbA1C results - down from 66 to 38 (5.6%). That's just a smidgen off normal non-diabetic. I literally broke down and cried. Nurse was very happy and said she's literally never seen a turnaround like that.

Bear in mind that this was a 3 months period in which I only started testing 2 months ago and was wobbling back and forward for the first month or so until I found a happy path in my eating, so I reckon if I had been eating like the last month, it would be far lower.

It's fair to say I am feeling very emotional today.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, just returned from the meeting with diabetic nurse, and got my HbA1C results - down from 66 to 38 (5.6%). That's just a smidgen off normal non-diabetic.
Excellent reduction @ChrisSamsDad, well done!
And a HbA1c of 38 is in the normal/non-diabetic range (below 42). :)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well, just returned from the meeting with diabetic nurse, and got my HbA1C results - down from 66 to 38
Sensational result. No wonder you were emotional. We all know how much determination,dedication and concentration such a big change in diet and lifestyle takes
As others have advised me many times on here keep on top of it
Congratulations

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well, just returned from the meeting with diabetic nurse, and got my HbA1C results - down from 66 to 38 (5.6%). That's just a smidgen off normal non-diabetic. I literally broke down and cried. Nurse was very happy and said she's literally never seen a turnaround like that.

Bear in mind that this was a 3 months period in which I only started testing 2 months ago and was wobbling back and forward for the first month or so until I found a happy path in my eating, so I reckon if I had been eating like the last month, it would be far lower.

It's fair to say I am feeling very emotional today.

Wooo great results...well done...you must be so pumped, 30" (or nearly:)), and that drop in your HbA1C...brilliant:)

BTW - that A1c is non-diabetic range. Prediabetic starts at 42 and diabetic at 48:) a celebration is required...PARTY PARTY PARTY:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sensational result. No wonder you were emotional. We all know how much determination,dedication and concentration such a big change in diet and lifestyle takes
As others have advised me many times on here keep on top of it
Congratulations

Well, you know what, I feel a bit of a fraud when people say that, I must say that I've found it really quite easy. I started on the 8 week blood sugar diet, but couldn't hack the 800 kcal per day, so just did that for about 3 weeks, with quite a few falling off the wagon days, but found the weight was still dropping and BS improving, so I just stuck to LCHF after that (with a lot of help from this forum and some other Googling), and after a very short time, found I'd settled into a sustainable pattern of eating, not feeling like I was depriving myself of good tasty food and absolutely didn't miss the things I'd given up (except for toast and jam). Once I'd cracked the toast and jam problem (by eating toast and jam, then going for a 4 hour bike ride or to the gym, and later by eating Burgens, it's been a breeze

Once I was into the lifestyle, I found that I had so much energy I HAD to go the gym, I was going manic if I was stuck in the house and took to dancing on my own in the kitchen or running up and down stairs, or getting up at 5.30am and cycling for half an hour. Now I'm loving going the gym, I pound along on the bike for half an hour or so listening to mostly disco music and do a couple of miles walking on the treadmill (I say 'walking' - it's more of a disco strut, one does not simply 'walk' to Jive Talkin')

Other than that, I've found the learning required fascinating, I never realised I knew so little about my own condition and how much is wrong with the current treatments.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Other than that, I've found the learning required fascinating, I never realised I knew so little about my own condition and how much is wrong with the current treatments.
Totally agree I can't believe how ignorant I was and have gained a lot of that knowledge thru this forum and DR Google

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Totally agree I can't believe how ignorant I was and have gained a lot of that knowledge thru this forum and DR Google

Oh I totally agree...

...let me confess this....just 3 months ago, I didn't even know what Complex Carbohydrates were:)! I know bad eh?...but I am sure I am not the only one.

You can quickly forget how far we have all come:)!

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow stories like this have inspired me to start my low carb high fat diet today. Not radically low but between 20-30g a day is my aim. I have always had an hba1c of 9+ i worked really hard and got it down to 7 but i have been very unstable recently with major swings from low to high and the other way round. so i have decided to take control and go low carb. I love bread and carbs so i am expecting it to be tough. I have researches lots so i am well prepared. I struggle to lose weight followed slimming world lost 10lb but it just doesnt shift after that, i got about another stone to lose so i would love to see my weight and control decrease. I Love reading these stories thanks for sharing. Now im off for a coffee with cream feels strange after being brain washed low fat is the way to go.