Insulin Pump

Natjhan

Hi,
Not been on for a while. But am now on waiting list for the Insulin Pump.
Would love to hear some feedback from people on it, and the difference it has made to their lives.
I have been Diabetic near enough my whole life(26 yrs), and think this could obv help my control a lot. Esp with wanting children and a steady control all the time (HBA1C still high at 8)
Thanks
Nat

covman

Ive often wondered if a pump would help me but as a landscape gardener it just not practical. Good luck with it tho.

Natjhan

I'm a bit worried of practicallity, and that's why I would love feedack.
I'm supervisor of a retailers and job is quite physical, but hoping it will be the way forward for me. Seeing nurse 12th Feb, but still ayears waiting list!!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
covman said:
Ive often wondered if a pump would help me but as a landscape gardener it just not practical. Good luck with it tho.

why isn't it practical for landscape gardening? I've got mine coming next week, I thought they were pretty robust?? panicking now :? :eek: :shock:

Natjhan

That's why I would love some feedback from people on it. Am I hooked up all the time? If I am how easy is it witha physical job? How do people find it in general?
Good luck with yours. I'm excited, but nervous.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Nat,
There's an area on this forum, dedicated to pump users- those people would definately be the best ones to communicate with about your concerns.
I've no personal experience of pumps, but I've been impressed by recent posts from pumpers who've gained BG stability on a pump, and find them unintrusive and practical.
Jus :)

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Nat

I've had a pump for years, and never had any practicality issues with it. It's about the size of (and looks like) a pager, clips easily onto clothing, is quite discreet and very robust. I cycle everywhere and ski twice a year with no problems at all. The benefits far outweigh any minor inconvenience it may present, you can usually work it into your routine, whatever that may be.

(In case it wasn't obvious - I LOVE my pump!)

rgarcha

Hi Nat,
Just read your post, and i just had too say something, I myself have diabetes for 26 years now, and like you had a very high hba1c (11.5%). That was just over a month ago, because since then i've been on the pump :p .
WOW!!!! What a device!!, it has changed my life completely. I was very nerves just like you, but i knew i had to do something, as i had complication kicking in very fast. At the time my NHS didnt fund the pump, but nothing was working for me, so i had no choice but to go private. When i went on it at first you always know that its there, even in the private moments :wink: if you know what i mean. But trust me it doesnt take long to take it off, i timed it once, it took 3 seconds :lol: . Anyway part from that, its the freedom it gives you, with when, where and what food you eat. your not restricted anymore, and exercise, well b4 i went on the pump i was in constant pain cos of nerve damage, and now my sugar levels are near perfect, (for the record its at 6.5%) within a month my problem have near enough disappeared. i'm jogging, started a gym, and feeling like a reborn teenager. If there is one draw back with the pump, that is you really have to be comitted, in carb counting, finger glucose testing, and a healthy life style. But is that a draw back in reality, or is makong you more aware how well your looking after your diabetes :mrgreen: .
Overall it doesnt get in the way, you forget that its there, makes your diabetes near perfect, makes you heathly, and make you feel really GOOD!!!!.
GO FOR IT!!

Rav

barkbark

I agree with Rav, my pump has not caused any practical issues in terms of activities done including snowboarding, heavy landscape gardening, going through airports, swimming etc. A pump is not however a magic cure for diabetes control - you really have to be committed in controlling your diabetes through carb counting, blood glucose testing, healthy life style and knowing how your body reacts to different things. Without these the benefits would be limited.

nikfiabi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm considering asking my doctor to get a pump fitted to suit my life style and thought i would ask on the forum first to see if it was a wise idea? I'm a serving solider who although fit and healthy finds it hard to control my levels. My worry is that once i go onto a pump it will stop me doing my work by getting in the way? any advise or suggestions will be appreciated. :?

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Most clinics will let you trial a pump for a week or so with saline in the reservoir instead of insulin. Worth asking to see if you can do this, as it's you who has to be happy with it?