FURIOUS!!!

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I requested my repeat prescription on Friday 3rd June to give the surgery plenty of time to process it etc. and went to collect it from the pharmacy last Friday (10th) only to be told it hadn't been sent. Then I went to the surgery to be told it had indeed been sent to Boots the previous Monday. Phoned Boots, the assistant said that there had been a problem with Patient Access and that the surgery needed to cancel the prescription and issue a paper one (why she couldn't have told me this when I went in the morning I don't know). Spent 20 minutes waiting for someone in the surgery to answer the phone to be told that Boots were wrong and they needed to give me a token (or something - I was rapidly losing the will to live by this point). Phoned Boots again, different assistant this time thank goodness, who said that the surgery were wrong and she'd ring them to sort it out. She rang me back later, she hadn't been able to get through on the phone and so had sent an urgent fax explaining what they were doing wrong and that I'd collect the prescription from the surgery this evening. Finished work early today, got to the surgery, guess what? No prescription, apparently there was no prescription clerk there so they didn't know what to do. Presumably the prescription clerks had ignored the fax from Boots! I was told to come back tomorrow. I work 20 miles away and it's not easy to get back before they close! On Wednesday I have an all-day hospital appointment and I have enough metformin until Wednesday morning. I have about a week of my BP tablets and my HRT (God help them if my HRT runs out!).
Needless to say, I am hopping mad. I'm not sure what to do. I'm definitely going to make a complaint but in the meantime, how do I get my metformin? I'm sure the prescription won't be there when I call in tomorrow.
Any ideas and has anyone had this same difficulty?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It might be worth popping into boots to see if they will do you an emergency issue of a short supply of metformin while they are waiting for the technical issues to be sorted out. If you can speak to a helpful pharmacist, let them know the fun you have had to endure today and they can check your records to see that they do usually issue you with X amount of metformin every month, they can probably be persuaded to issue a weeks supply on an emergency basis (then, when they fill your prescription they will just discount the metformin by however much they give you on an emergency basis in order to complete the script).

Reactions: 4 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a local chemist ..not a big chain like boots .. but if there is any problem with my prescriptions the chemist will sort it out.. but now my prescriptions are issued yearly !!!!!! I just collect every two months. Maybe you should look round to see if you have an independent chemist and change over to them.

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I might do that. I'm considering explaining all this when I'm at the hospital on Wednesday to see if the doctor can prescribe me some.

Reactions: 2 people

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a local chemist ..not a big chain like boots .. but if there is any problem with my prescriptions the chemist will sort it out.. but now my prescriptions are issued yearly !!!!!! I just collect every two months. Maybe you should look round to see if you have an independent chemist and change over to them.
Yes I will, thanks

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We have trouble with the FIL prescriptions from Boots all the time!
Either wrong or something he hasn't ordered, the OH is fed up with complaining, but he won't change from them.
Me and the wife use an independent chemist and they get a reminder of us by phone an we get them delivered within a couple of days, never wrong, unless the surgery mucks up!

There is no reason why you can do without metformin for a couple of days!

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have trouble with the FIL prescriptions from Boots all the time!
Either wrong or something he hasn't ordered, the OH is fed up with complaining, but he won't change from them.
Me and the wife use an independent chemist and they get a reminder of us by phone an we get them delivered within a couple of days, never wrong, unless the surgery mucks up!

There is no reason why you can do without metformin for a couple of days!
Yes I'll be fine for a few days but I don't know when I'll be back on my feet again after Wednesday. I'll just have to see if I can get someone to collect my meds

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @KathrynB, sorry to read about your troubles .... Not much help to you, I know, but the subject of Boots' efficiency - or otherwise - was raised quite recently. It seems that experiences of their management of prescription services differ quite widely, possibly depending on where you happen to live. From what I can remember, the independents seemed to fare rather well by comparison.

It's here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/posts/1144187/ if you want to take a look.

Meantime, I really hope that they give you a temporary supply, particularly as it's the same branch that your normally use, so they must know you, and your prescription needs fairly well.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I use my local Lloyds pharmacy in the village and they never fail me. It sounds like you need a serious talk with the practice manager and perhaps stop using Boots? BTW I always have about 2 months supply of my stuff 'in stock' as they say as it never changes and it provides a safe-guard.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I requested my repeat prescription on Friday 3rd June to give the surgery plenty of time to process it etc. and went to collect it from the pharmacy last Friday (10th) only to be told it hadn't been sent. Then I went to the surgery to be told it had indeed been sent to Boots the previous Monday. Phoned Boots, the assistant said that there had been a problem with Patient Access and that the surgery needed to cancel the prescription and issue a paper one (why she couldn't have told me this when I went in the morning I don't know). Spent 20 minutes waiting for someone in the surgery to answer the phone to be told that Boots were wrong and they needed to give me a token (or something - I was rapidly losing the will to live by this point). Phoned Boots again, different assistant this time thank goodness, who said that the surgery were wrong and she'd ring them to sort it out. She rang me back later, she hadn't been able to get through on the phone and so had sent an urgent fax explaining what they were doing wrong and that I'd collect the prescription from the surgery this evening. Finished work early today, got to the surgery, guess what? No prescription, apparently there was no prescription clerk there so they didn't know what to do. Presumably the prescription clerks had ignored the fax from Boots! I was told to come back tomorrow. I work 20 miles away and it's not easy to get back before they close! On Wednesday I have an all-day hospital appointment and I have enough metformin until Wednesday morning. I have about a week of my BP tablets and my HRT (God help them if my HRT runs out!).
Needless to say, I am hopping mad. I'm not sure what to do. I'm definitely going to make a complaint but in the meantime, how do I get my metformin? I'm sure the prescription won't be there when I call in tomorrow.
Any ideas and has anyone had this same difficulty?

So sorry about this awful experience...the last thing you need within your busy lifestyle.

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30". Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went abroad once for 3 nights and forgot my metformin. Didn't change my results at all. My local pharmacy repeat service works very well, although I always order 2-3 weeks in advance so I make sure I don't run out.

Tim_J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With Boots it seems to vary from one branch to another. When I used to work in London I got my repeat prescriptions from the one in Oxford Street and they were brilliant. Now I use my local branch and they are... less brilliant. I am considering maybe jumping ship, there is a Lloyds down the road...

Tim

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the prescriptions system fell over...

"The NHS electronic prescription service (EPS) has barely been working since Monday, and is still suffering a Total Inability To Support Usual Performance [TITSUP] in many parts of England, thanks to problems with system supplier Cegedim."

I added the 'TITSUP' anagram...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/10/eprescription_service_outage_nhs/

Reactions: 3 people

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone for your replies. Paul c the titsup thing made me chuckle! Anyway, seems I'm sorted out, the practice had fixed things, I have my prescription and they've changed my designated chemist to one local to me.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Thanks everyone for your replies. Paul c the titsup thing made me chuckle! Anyway, seems I'm sorted out, the practice had fixed things, I have my prescription and they've changed my designated chemist to one local to me.

Great stuff! Back to a happy medium again :)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app