EU changes night-time hypos driving rule.

C

catherinecherub

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_u...abetes/?_ga=1.154861048.1511596751.1459238820
DVLA does not differentiate between daytime and night-time hypos

That the DVLA does not currently differentiate between daytime and night-time episodes of hypoglycaemia means that some people with diabetes are losing their driving licence unnecessarily. Experts on driving and diabetes across Europe came together last year to review the Directive and, based on current evidence, have voted overwhelmingly for amendments.

The European Commission has responded by advising that the driving ban for people experiencing recurrent severe hypoglycaemia when asleep, be lifted. They will ask the DVLA to make the necessary legislative changes by 1 January 2018.

Having campaigned over the last five years to get the night-time hypoglycaemia ban overturned Diabetes UK warmly welcomes this move by the European Commission. The charity is now calling on the DVLA to implement necessary legislative changes as soon as possible to prevent even more people with diabetes unfairly losing their licence due to night-time episodes of hypoglycaemia.

Reactions: 8 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is one of the reasons why I am voting to leave the EU - they discriminate against diabetics

The EU have actually advised that the ban be lifted :)

"The European Commission has responded by advising that the driving ban for people experiencing recurrent severe hypoglycaemia when asleep, be lifted. They will ask the DVLA to make the necessary legislative changes"

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is one of the reasons why I am voting to leave the EU - they discriminate against diabetics

This is actually the opposite of what the post you are replying to you says - the EU is advising that the ban on those with nocturnal hypos driving is lifted, therefore improving things for diabetics in the UK.

If there is some different EU discrimination against diabetics you are referring to, please advise. I can't think of anything, but obviously interested to learn.

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Several things, I live in France and am a diabetic. The EU had no problems with me keeping my HGV, the UK would have and in fact the EU kept on at the DVLA about their silly stance. Some EU info, the human rights act may be repealed if the UK leaves the EU. In the event of the UK leaving the EU it may be necessary for many UK expats that are retired to return to the UK, about 2,000,000 is projected and of these about 150,000 will have monthly medication bills in excess of £4,000. How will that affect the NHS, well to a tune of £600,000,000 a month. Oh yet another point, the UK border force place at Calais has been informed that they will have to depart Calais within weeks in the event of a Brexit. So who will stop the illegals...no one they may be found at Dover so look out for a VERY LARGE camp of illegals near Dover within weeks, however, some will not!
This last bit of information were on French radio and TV

davidjb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football; anything by Kylie Minogue, Madonna, Whitney Houston, any X-Factor/BGT winner, groups like Girls Aloud etc. (you get the picture); misuse of 'your', 'you're', 'their', 'there', etc.; the use of 'of' as an auxiliary verb; Facebook and Twitter (just what the hell is all this 'hashtag' stuff?); 'celebrities'; I could go on but I'm beginning to sound grumpier than I really am.

Did you actually read the article? Or are you another of those who only have to hear or read 'EU' and immediately hear or see something negative without bothering about what is said. The EU in this instance is doing something positive for diabetics and therefore are NOT discriminating AGAINST diabetics but acting FOR them. Blind bigotry is a very weak argument for anything and seems to be the platform chosen by those who want to leave the EU, or who support UKIP, usually with added abuse for those who disagree with them. If you want to bring politics to this forum please do it intelligently.

Mike_Speakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The border control arrangement is nothing to do with the European Union. It is a bilateral treaty between the UK and France and is not invalidated if we leave the EU. I agree the EU is being sensible about night time hypos and I am a UKIP member

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
They said they are ADVISING that the ban be lifted people, it doesn't actually mean it will be and if they do how long will it last?? They can put the ban back on anytime they want.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't need to worry about this anymore due to yesterday's vote!

Hopefully the DVLA will abide by the EU's advice and allow people who only have nighttime hypos to drive.

The EU was trying to make things fairer and easier for people with diabetes, and, no matter what people think about the EU, I for one hope the DVLA complies with this advice.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
This has been advised for quite a while now and still nothing really happened from DVLA.
Unless they get pressuirsed from diabetes charities etc they will just sit on it and do nothing.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This has been advised for quite a while now and still nothing really happened from DVLA.
Unless they get pressuirsed from diabetes charities etc they will just sit on it and do nothing.
You would have thought the government responsible for implementing any change, as they are for other regulation in our lives. At least our government will [hopefully] soon be free to decide [without EU interference] & we thus empowered, as we will be able to vote them out if we don't agree with what they decide to implement.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.........we will be able to vote them out if we don't agree with what they decide to implement.

Nah! On a technicality perhaps, but in practice a single vote againt does not contribute much in iolation. Even if voting against one's local MP may unseat them, the rest of the bunch will also nred to be unseated for your statement to come viable. The current government went into the last election very unpopular, after swingeing austerity cuts, and declaring more cuts to come, yet they increased their majority. I was NOT able to vote them out, nor were you.

Personally IMO if someone is having hypo's that they are not aware of, and that need external intervention, then they should not be driving since this presents a danger to both themselves, and to other people. We had a thread in the forum where someone admitted that they black out with sudden hypo's due to their specific condition, and they were arguing that they should still be allowed to drive. DVLA revoked their licence since the events were unpredictable.

In the case of hypos during sleep time, then this can be argued that it does not affect ability to control a vehicle hence the EU ruling change. I think this is a fair judgement, and that DVLA should also implement it regardless of our status in the EU. However I think the ruling should be clear that it is 'during sleep' rather than any general nightime episode.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Nah! On a technicality perhaps, but in practice a single vote againt does not contribute much in iolation. Even if voting against one's local MP may unseat them, the rest of the bunch will also nred to be unseated for your statement to come viable. The current government went into the last election very unpopular, after swingeing austerity cuts, and declaring more cuts to come, yet they increased their majority. I was NOT able to vote them out, nor were you.

Personally IMO if someone is having hypo's that they are not aware of, and that need external intervention, then they should not be driving since this presents a danger to both themselves, and to other people. We had a thread in the forum where someone admitted that they black out with sudden hypo's due to their specific condition, and they were arguing that they should still be allowed to drive. DVLA revoked their licence since the events were unpredictable.

In the case of hypos during sleep time, then this can be argued that it does not affect ability to control a vehicle hence the EU ruling change. I think this is a fair judgement, and that DVLA should also implement it regardless of our status in the EU. However I think the ruling should be clear that it is 'during sleep' rather than any general nightime episode.

Trouble is you cant argue with DVLA about night hypos.... No individual is in that position. Thats why we have to rely upon diabeic charitys and pressure put on them..