BG meters and airport security

Sparkz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cold weather!
Has anyone got any advice please about BG machines with airport security and flying? Is it better to just leave them in your hold luggage than have to explain to security what it is.
I have a BG meter but its not on prescription as I am type 2 and my Doc wont prescribe one for anyone with type 2 diabetes, so I wont have any ID such as a letter from my GP or a copy of my prescription to show that I need the machine?

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine went through LHR hand luggage security last year with no comment. SD Codefree in its case with spare lancets, pot of test strips and the battery fitted.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Sparkz
To be honest...I've always been more concerned about taking insulin and other paraphernalia through customs...I've never given my meter a thought...but equally it's never been a problem...customs must come across this stuff all the time...I really wouldn't worry.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never had to explain my meter to security when having my hand luggage scanned...

I have however had "the Spanish Inquisition" regarding a guitar pedal, a lightsabre & a forgotten bottle of water. :rolleyes:

jodysd6

I have meter and pump supplies with me when I fly and unless asked I never even mention what's in my bag and it has never been mentioned! Sometimes my pump gets swabbed but nothing in my bag has been an issue!

Sparkz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cold weather!
Thanks all :) One less worry...they have some weird rules at times!

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been questioned about my Accu Chek mobile a couple of times (I put it in the plastic tray with my Kindle etc.)

They've never batted an eyelid at my insulin but for some reason the mobile really piques their interest.

Once they've eyeballed it and spoken to me they're fine though. Never been asked for a doctor's letter even though I always have one.