Bolus is your quick acting insulin - e.g.: Humalog, Novorapid, Apidra

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
You have basal just once-twice a day, depending on your routine & having basal at meal times or for correcting during the day. Basal lasts between 18-36hrs & bolus can last 2-4 hours (depending on type of insulin)

Juliejwise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've just changed back to lantus, after not getting on with levemir, but because I only have the one lantus injection at night, I'm having a hypo each morning in the early hours. Even if my bloods are about 14. I still have a hypo the next morning..
Can lantus be spilt into two injections, so I don't have to have so much insulin at night. :(

iHs

Hi, I've just changed back to lantus, after not getting on with levemir, but because I only have the one lantus injection at night, I'm having a hypo each morning in the early hours. Even if my bloods are about 14. I still have a hypo the next morning..
Can lantus be spilt into two injections, so I don't have to have so much insulin at night. :(

I too had this for a while so switched to morning instead of evening but at the time .....2002, DAFNE courses were just a dream child and weren't available like they are now. By switching to the morning bg rose up a lot more in the evening and I needed to do a correction b4 bed. This did cause some worry over the hypo problem when fast asleep and meant doing another injection. So, decided to go back to bedtime jab and just eat a carb snack before bed and that stopped the hypo around 2-3am so was ok again. I later changed to Levemir and used bg targets to aim for and adjusted the bolus to suit the action of the basal and got my correction factor sorted out a lot better.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
What's the difference between these here it all the time

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
All these terms are confusing at first
I have started a website to hopefully help other diabetics. It is still be updated most days with new articles and pages etc. I did one on diabetic terms and abbreviations the other day, have a look when you have 5 mins
https://type1bri.com/category/newly-diagnosed/jargon-buster

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Juliejwise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I too had this for a while so switched to morning instead of evening but at the time .....2002, DAFNE courses were just a dream child and weren't available like they are now. By switching to the morning bg rose up a lot more in the evening and I needed to do a correction b4 bed. This did cause some worry over the hypo problem when fast asleep and meant doing another injection. So, decided to go back to bedtime jab and just eat a carb snack before bed and that stopped the hypo around 2-3am so was ok again. I later changed to Levemir and used bg targets to aim for and adjusted the bolus to suit the action of the basal and got my correction factor sorted out a lot better.
I was put on to levemir when I did the dafne course, which yes my sugars are better controlled but they kept leaving lumps and bruises most of the time. So that's why I'm on lantus again. Couldn't put up with the lumps, my legs have had enough of it over the years, and now my butt .....NO!!
My sugars are still ok but it's the hypos that are getting me down. When I use to use lantus last year, I did it in the morning too. This is why I'm asking if anyone splits their dose with lantus.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was put on to levemir when I did the dafne course, which yes my sugars are better controlled but they kept leaving lumps and bruises most of the time. So that's why I'm on lantus again. Couldn't put up with the lumps, my legs have had enough of it over the years, and now my butt .....NO!!
My sugars are still ok but it's the hypos that are getting me down. When I use to use lantus last year, I did it in the morning too. This is why I'm asking if anyone splits their dose with lantus.
I also had huge lumps when I tried Levemir so I went back to Lantus. My consultant did suggest that I tried splitting my Lantus, so it's not unheard of.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

You can split your lantus - I did for a while, for the same reason (enough to keep me from rising was making me hypo overnight when given all at once before bed, I think I just split it 50/50) but now on levemir.

Juliejwise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also had huge lumps when I tried Levemir so I went back to Lantus. My consultant did suggest that I tried splitting my Lantus, so it's not unheard of.
Ok thanks, I think I have spoke to you before as you said about you had a expensive insulin. Lol

Juliejwise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You can split your lantus - I did for a while, for the same reason (enough to keep me from rising was making me hypo overnight when given all at once before bed, I think I just split it 50/50) but now on levemir.
Ok thanks. Didn't like the lumps levemir gave me lol

Juliejwise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've split my Lantus dose successfully. 26 units at 8am & 8pm. I think it's a ridiculously high dose but my DSN says nothing to worry about! My old carcass just doesn't like this diabetes game! :)
Ok I think I might give it a go and see how I get on. Thanks :(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You have basal just once-twice a day, depending on your routine & having basal at meal times or for correcting during the day. Basal lasts between 18-36hrs & bolus can last 2-4 hours (depending on type of insulin)
I think you meant Bolus at mealtimes and not Basal.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds as well that your Basal shots may be too high and causing the excessive blood sugar reduction during the night? May be reduce the Basal shot(s) and increase your Bolus ratio?