Newly diagnosed type2

Schtompa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi,
This forum looks great! Recently got diagnosed with type 2 and waiting for my first clinc appointment. It's given me a tick up the backside to change. So far cut down on sugar, carbs and started exercising for the first time in 20 odd years. Feeling positive although confused on foods at the moment. I've started logging my foods in my fitness pal app to monitor what I'm eating. A pain to weigh things to start with but I'm getting there. I've been taking metaformin for a week. Hopefully going on the right direction. I have a high BMI so I hope this is going in the right direction.
When they talk about low carb diet, how much is that a day? I've been setting myself a target of 200 grams?

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Great to see you are diving straight into this. How many carbs? No-one can tell you this. You have to find your own threshold. 200g is a lot, however. Personally I started at about 120g but had to keep reducing and reducing this, not for weight loss as my weight was falling off, but for my blood sugar levels. My personal threshold is 30g a day. Much more than that and my levels start to rise again.

Have you got a glucose meter? If not, I recommend you buy one. Your meter will tell you how many carbs your body can tolerate at each meal, but I bet you will find 200g a day is far too many. With a meter you can test yourself before you eat and again a couple of hours later. The aim is to keep the rise as low as possible - under 2mmol/l initially, then under 1.5mmol/l, and then even lower, but that will take a long time. Keeping a food diary and recording your levels alongside the food will help enormously as patterns will emerge. You can use this method to see which foods you can or can't tolerate, and in what quantities. Sometimes 2 or 3 small new potatoes may be OK, but 4 may not!

Have a good browse round, and also read the main website where there is a wealth of information. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Reactions: 7 people

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wish I'd found this forum as soon after diagnosis as you, it would have transformed my life so much earlier. I too think you will find 200 carbs too much. My biggest help has been a book/app called Carbs&Cals. I have just been concentrating on the carbs but weight is slowly coming off without all the weighing. I have ended up at around 50 carbs a day and really can't tolerate potatoes, pasta, bread and in particular rice, so I have cut these out but you may be different, everyone is. I can't cope with much pastry (grains generally) but can use small amounts of filo pastry.

I can have small amounts of beans and other legumes like peas, but parsnips for instance really spike my BG.

Bluetit1802 is right, 120g is a good place to start, but unless you test you have no way to prove what causes your spikes.

Good luck on your journey, I am sure you will find it successful, it has revolutionised my diabetes management and for the first time in 12 years I am within the targets set for glucose levels and reducing my tablets too.

If you need any support you will find this forum excellent. Keep in touch.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 6 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Schtompa - you've com to the right place. I'm going to tag @daisy1 for you, she can provide you with all the advice for newbies - I was one myself in Januart.

Sounds like you are on the right path by reducing your carbs. It has worked for many people here, myself included. I don't A have a limit but I probably eat around 40/50g a day max. Once you understand the carbs in food it becomes easier. Ok, slightly time consuming but easy to get to grips with.

For food inspiration look at http://www.dietdoctor.com/ - some great ideas on there.

Ask anything you want while here, someone will know the answer ;) and good luck!

Reactions: 6 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Schtompa

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. It will help you to understand about low carb dieting. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
hi,
This forum looks great! Recently got diagnosed with type 2 and waiting for my first clinc appointment. It's given me a tick up the backside to change. So far cut down on sugar, carbs and started exercising for the first time in 20 odd years. Feeling positive although confused on foods at the moment. I've started logging my foods in my fitness pal app to monitor what I'm eating. A pain to weigh things to start with but I'm getting there. I've been taking metaformin for a week. Hopefully going on the right direction. I have a high BMI so I hope this is going in the right direction.
When they talk about low carb diet, how much is that a day? I've been setting myself a target of 200 grams?

Welcome...you'll get on great here with lots of supportive lovely people:)

In terms of carb quantities, the range goes from 20g per day (that's me) which is basically no carbs other than bits in green's and the odd LC treat if you leave greens out in any particular day and up to 150g per day, which I think is the amount suggested on this forum's Low Carb Programme.

Any questions keep asking, you'll soon get used to the new lifestyle:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

fene48

Hi Schtompa and welcome!

You are right, it is a great site. Lots of caring, friendly and supportive people.
You too will find the level that suits you whether it is 20g or 200g - we are all different.
Just keep posting, you will gets lot of opinions and experiences to sift through.
Best of luck - you seem to be on the right track for a good outcome.

Reactions: 4 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

Schtompa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone. Some good stuff here. I guess the NHS diet is going to be opposite of low carbs/high fat. I'm just a little confused on that front at the moment.
Started today reducing carbs to 135g to start. How you do 40/50g I have no idea. Well done

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Its really not to hard to keep the carbs low. Just takes practise. Today i had bacon and eggs and one slice of 12 grain bread. About 25 carbs. Lunch was a salad with half and avacado and french dressing. Also one ham pepperoni. About 6 carbs. Supper will be a hamburger steak with tomato paste and cream sauce and cauliflower and broccoli. Should ding in at less then 10 carbs.

This is pretty typical on my daily intake. Things like pasta are out. I have the meat and sauce but put it on steamed cauliflower. I teally can't go with out bread at breakfast unless its an omelette. Check out diet doctor website for tons of good ideas.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Typicaltwo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Royalty, Religion, Gardening, Baking, Piston heads, vegans
Thanks everyone. Some good stuff here. I guess the NHS diet is going to be opposite of low carbs/high fat. I'm just a little confused on that front at the moment.
Started today reducing carbs to 135g to start. How you do 40/50g I have no idea. Well done
The NHS diet otherwise known as the Eatwell Guide (previously the Eatwell Plate) is produced on behalf of the government by a quango, now called Public Health England, which is made up of supposed experts in the field of nutrition and health. Although slightly tweaked in 2014 the Eatwell Guide has basically stayed the same since 1994. The Eatwell Guide is actually formulated and written by a body called the British Nutrition Foundation (BNF) whose members include Tate & Lyle, MacDonalds, Coca Cola and most food industry companies including all the main supermarket chains. If you want to want to reverse your diabetes and lose weight stick with the LCHF diet.

Reactions: 3 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
It easier to aim for zero carbs (you will never get anything like that low) than try to control exact numbers also different types of carbs have different effects on different individuals, So always choose the low carb option and before and after meals.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
The NHS diet otherwise known as the Eatwell Guide (previously the Eatwell Plate) is produced on behalf of the government by a quango, now called Public Health England, which is made up of supposed experts in the field of nutrition and health. Although slightly tweaked in 2014 the Eatwell Guide has basically stayed the same since 1994. The Eatwell Guide is actually formulated and written by a body called the British Nutrition Foundation (BNF) whose members include Tate & Lyle, MacDonalds, Coca Cola and most food industry companies including all the main supermarket chains. If you want to want to reverse your diabetes and lose weight stick with the LCHF diet.

Haha:)...I didn't realise big food were responsible for the formulation of Eat Well... Well that makes a lot of sense, now you've slotted that piece of the puzzle into place. Thanks:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.