• Yes

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

desidiabulum

Sounds irresistible, doesn't it? and how could you argue with statistics that 'An early trial on 22 men in Chile found it kept blood sugar under control for months'? So would a low-carb diet, but of course that hasn't been proven clinically to work (apparently).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would need a lot more info.
At first glance, the two ideas that improving the body's ability to absorb sugar, and improving blood sugar control are fairly incompatible.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
22 men in Chile eh. Obviously another miracle cure then. Oh **** I'm washing my hair that day and won't be able to make it.

Reactions: 2 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My answer is in my signature.........."I may be old but I'm not stupid"......well not yet anyway.......if it was going to work all the hot cuppas I've downed would have done the job already.......:bag:

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Blimey, the fatty police are out in force on that link's comments section :blackeye:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Isn't burning away a bit of gut lining similar to what happens when you have an ulcer?
If so, then nobody with an ulcer should have diabetes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If some crazed doctor on a mission tried to stick something like that down my throat they would be likely to lose a few fingers.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why can the world not accept that the right diet can work .... quick fixes and stupid devices can do far more harm than good,

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My thinking is that this must work like the endobarrier. Burning the duodenum doesn't create new cells that absorb glucose, it makes the duodenum dysfunctional, so nutrient rich food hits the ileum, which is known to improve BG control (this is how gastric bypasses work).

There is research in rats showing that after a gastric bypass, the ileum becomes much bigger and begins to become a huge glucose metabolising organ.

tammypettifer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think I like almost everything and can't think of anything I dislike at the moment!
Where do I sign up, I would happily take part in this trial. Anything that gets me off this roller coaster!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Is this the same thing.

Most of the UK media has got rather overexcited about the UK launch of Obalon, a gastric balloon in pill form that can be swallowed to help overweight people achieve rapid weight loss without invasive surgery.

The Obalon pills are designed to be inflated into balloons in the stomach, reducing the free volume of the stomach and therefore how much a person can eat before they feel full.

Intra-gastric balloons are not new, and are sometimes provided to extremely obese people through the NHS, although these often have to be surgically implanted.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/01January/Pages/Gastric-balloon-pill-launched-in-UK.aspx

Mdorrian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why would you want to blow a balloon up in a overweight person it would surely make them look bigger. Just saying like.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

The trials are in a London Hospital, according to the article @alexkypriadis.
You could contact them to see if you are eligible. You do not have to vote

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think not...

Sugar helps make me diabetic, so I've stopped eating it. Why then would I want to have my guts burned just so I could start eating it again? :banghead: Is there also a pre op session to fry my brain so I'd be willing to go through with this?

Robbity

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
You must be joking:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.