Baby Smith update

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I posted on Saturday in the new baby news thread but thought I'd do a post with my little story n more detail of everything and just a little update for anyone interested :) - FYI sorry I've rambled loads!

I went in hospital Thursday afternoon for induction at 38+1 everything started a bit slow, I got pains later in the evening but they went away in the early hours. Dr broke my waters around noon Friday as they decided head was far enough engaged, everything was going well but I stopped dilating at 6cm so 5:45am Saturday they took me down for a section, I had all the pain relief I was allowed during labour, I like to think I'm a tough cookie but wow seriously, contractions hurt!!

C section was nothing like what I had dreaded, the team of people that done it were amazing and it was so quick, she was born at 6:51am - I was back on my pump by 10am which I was really happy about, hated not being on my pump and being out of control of things concerning D, while I was on sliding scale bgs were a little higher - I know they needed to be running me slightly higher than I've been used to they just seemed so clueless about diabetes

As advised by many on here I'd stocked up well on lucozade, snacks etc for hypos cos wow since having her there's been a lot of hypos! can't believe how tiny my insulin requirements are at the moment, even changing all my basal settings, sensitivity & carb ratio I'm still getting such low numbers!

Breastfeeding hasn't really worked out for me which I'm gutted about, she didn't seem interested any time I've tried and so my milk hasn't really came, not going to beat myself up about it but I'd have just loved to have done it although her very first feed when she was born was successful so that was nice.

Her bg's were all fine, she had 3 tests over 12 hours and she was between 3.2-3.8 so I was over the moon! :D

We came home Sunday which I was surprised at but because they said everything went really well, I was managing D ok, they had no reason to keep us in :)

We were told she weighed 7lb 8oz but on her notes it says 7lb 5oz! Quite surprised cos at the growth scan last Monday they said her weight was 7lb 8 but I was still expecting her to be around 9lb odd as everyone says it's never correct! Lol

We have decided to call her Francesca

Just wanted to write this for those that are expecting at the minute as I read a post like this when I was pregnant and found it helpful

I know I'm only a few days in but wow sleep deprivation is an absolute killer isn't it!! it gets better yeah?

65a468b5e1c52ea24a5b01a5544a46e7.jpg
822c0c42c3b33b8874aa9052d5ec980e.jpg
bb83999e3b43ce89920d1abc06bcb1e0.jpg

Attached a few pics :)

Abbie Xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 11 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What lovely pics! I especially like the last one - she looks very alert and curious :) I love the name - very pretty :)

Yes, the hypos are mad! I was eating bolus-free snacks like nobody's business.

Don't be fooled by those baby care books - babies often sleep less than those say! I'm sure little Francesca is pretty typical of young babies :) My son woke every hour or so to feed, and that's perefctly normal. I tend to think babies know what they need, and coming into this world is a big shock for them so it's not surprising they want lots of closeness and reassurance :)

Look after yourself too - eat well, and rest when your daughter does. That's a really good tip - housework can wait!

Enjoy these special early months - they go all too quickly. XXX

Reactions: 6 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Beautiful - great head of hair - my mum said I was born with a perfect crew lol lovely name - as to the sleep - yes it gets better when they're. about 30 haha - enjoy your time with her xx

Reactions: 4 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Mrsass she is lovely. I told you the sleep deprivation is a killer! I was up 5 times last night although slightly different with twins. ...

Have you tried hand expressing to get your milk going? You could try now it's not too late if you want? You can hire hospital grade pumps which I did for the twins. None of my 3 could breastfeed but did express for all but especially for my twins as my little boy was so ill. It is quite hard to do though. You need to do what's best for you and F and people don't understand the impact on type1 mums with hypos unless you have been through it.

Try and rest after your section though as it can take longer to heal with the diabetes-and watch for infection in the scar xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I posted on Saturday in the new baby news thread but thought I'd do a post with my little story n more detail of everything and just a little update for anyone interested :) - FYI sorry I've rambled loads!

I went in hospital Thursday afternoon for induction at 38+1 everything started a bit slow, I got pains later in the evening but they went away in the early hours. Dr broke my waters around noon Friday as they decided head was far enough engaged, everything was going well but I stopped dilating at 6cm so 5:45am Saturday they took me down for a section, I had all the pain relief I was allowed during labour, I like to think I'm a tough cookie but wow seriously, contractions hurt!!

C section was nothing like what I had dreaded, the team of people that done it were amazing and it was so quick, she was born at 6:51am - I was back on my pump by 10am which I was really happy about, hated not being on my pump and being out of control of things concerning D, while I was on sliding scale bgs were a little higher - I know they needed to be running me slightly higher than I've been used to they just seemed so clueless about diabetes

As advised by many on here I'd stocked up well on lucozade, snacks etc for hypos cos wow since having her there's been a lot of hypos! can't believe how tiny my insulin requirements are at the moment, even changing all my basal settings, sensitivity & carb ratio I'm still getting such low numbers!

Breastfeeding hasn't really worked out for me which I'm gutted about, she didn't seem interested any time I've tried and so my milk hasn't really came, not going to beat myself up about it but I'd have just loved to have done it although her very first feed when she was born was successful so that was nice.

Her bg's were all fine, she had 3 tests over 12 hours and she was between 3.2-3.8 so I was over the moon! :D

We came home Sunday which I was surprised at but because they said everything went really well, I was managing D ok, they had no reason to keep us in :)

We were told she weighed 7lb 8oz but on her notes it says 7lb 5oz! Quite surprised cos at the growth scan last Monday they said her weight was 7lb 8 but I was still expecting her to be around 9lb odd as everyone says it's never correct! Lol

We have decided to call her Francesca

Just wanted to write this for those that are expecting at the minute as I read a post like this when I was pregnant and found it helpful

I know I'm only a few days in but wow sleep deprivation is an absolute killer isn't it!! it gets better yeah?

65a468b5e1c52ea24a5b01a5544a46e7.jpg
822c0c42c3b33b8874aa9052d5ec980e.jpg
bb83999e3b43ce89920d1abc06bcb1e0.jpg

Attached a few pics :)

Abbie Xx

Congratulations, I am so happy for you, she is delightful and what a cutie pie. so pleased for you and dad too xxx.

Reactions: 2 people

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mrsass

Congratulations!!!

Your little one is absolutely lovely and a gorgeous name.

Hope you are both doing well x

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
She is beautiful!!!! Congratulations sweetie! Xxxx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't see your post the other day for some reason!! Congratulations she is beautiful!! get as Muxh rest as u can c

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Congratulations @Mrsass and thanks for taking the time, at what must be a very hectic and tiring time, to repost and update, I missed your original post. Baby Francesca is lovely, you and Mrass can be very proud.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you everyone

@Prem51 yes we are very proud, just keep looking at her can't believe she is here!

@1Sarah1 I'm finding myself sat writing a tx and my eyes just close, I had the tv on for about an hour yesterday and someone came to visit and asked what I had been watching, I had no idea because all that's on my mind is going to sleep my husband said on the first night we came home - where we had zero sleep because she wouldn't settle at all - oh god can you imagine doing this with 2 or 3! People that have twins and triplets deserve a medal! I have a new found respect for you being mummy to your twins and toddler!!
We hand expressed her first feed and it was really tough but I wanted to, then realised at next feed nothing was coming and I needed to get a feed into her for bg test so chose to use the milk I had taken in case of 'emergency' like that. I didn't realise you could hire the hospital pumps! I'll speak to my midwife about that tomorrow!
I'm trying my best to rest, I'm doing well most of the time but I'm terrible for pushing myself to see what my limits are, I've lots of people around to help with anything we need but it's like I go looking for things to do even though I know I shouldn't be!

@azure she had just had her hair washed when we took that picture, she hates a bath but seemed to love her hair being washed! lol
Yeah not bolusing for snacks is so crazy to be doing again, I seem to be able to have more bolus free snacks now than at the beginning of pregnancy when I had so many lows!
I've been very lucky in late pregnancy and at the moment my mother in law is loving doing my housework so I am more than happy to let her carry on doing it for the coming weeks lol
I'm trying to rest when she sleeps and In between visitors, it's hard because I just want to look at her! Lol

Reactions: 10 people

jade88

Congratulations she is gorgeous and wow that hair! Sounds like your doing amazing! Don't beat yourself up about the breastfeeding as long as baby is being fed that's the important thing! Don't worry the older they get the more they sleep! Charlie is going 10-12 hrs now and he's not even 5 months yet! Enjoy every single minute they grow so fast! xxx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 8 people

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Congratulations!! She is beautiful!! Take care of yourself, and each other :)

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a gorgeous girl - well done. Make the most of the help and grab some sleep when you can.

My 2 aren't sleepers but they are lush and my youngest walked for the first time tonight!

EnjoyM

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aw, congratualtions! She is just gorgeous :) Hope the M-I-L is still cracking on with the housework! xx