I want my old eyes back!

TabbyL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most of the T2 is okay to handle - I'm eating healthily, exercising and have lost 10lbs since being diagnosed two weeks ago.

I'm even coping with Metformin.

But my eyesight has gone :(. My laser corrected perfect vision is blurred and I have to wear reading glasses to see anything closer than 50cm.

I am gutted. Will it ever come back, or have I got blurred close vision for ever?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my short experience, it does go back to normal. It took about 8 weeks for diagnosis. I was told that it is due to a build up of glucose on the lens. Good luck, it's all still overwhelming for me after 12 weeks but it is becoming more manageable. This site has been my lifeline so ask!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
My eyesight returned back to normal in a couple of weeks ....

It was awful for a time though - could not read a book or mag, but my far distance improved (now gone back to normal)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have glasses which got made when high sugars so I can see well, whatever my bgs!
Good control = no or less blurring.
I think we are more prone to cataract because of it.
Concentrate on good control and everything else will settle down.

Reactions: 2 people

JenBry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Most of the T2 is okay to handle - I'm eating healthily, exercising and have lost 10lbs since being diagnosed two weeks ago.

I'm even coping with Metformin.

But my eyesight has gone :(. My laser corrected perfect vision is blurred and I have to wear reading glasses to see anything closer than 50cm.

I am gutted. Will it ever come back, or have I got blurred close vision for ever?

Hi Tabby
What you say here reminds me of what I went through just a few months ago with my own eyesight. It was horrible and very worrying! I have glasses to be able to see my computer screen, and another pair to see for book reading ie closer vision. Normally, I can see from 2 arms' length away from me VERY clearly, and long distance is perfect. My eyesight went so screwy and blurry, that I was considering going to the optician! I was having to wear my computer glasses to drive, for goodness sakes!! Close up vision was a nightmare. A friend, who knows a lot about a lot, advised me to wait until my diabetes settled down with treatment before heading to an optician, as the blood sugar levels were causing a distortion of the eye lens because of extra fluid build up in the eye. So, I rode it out, and I'm glad that I did. It took a few weeks/couple of months, and then settled down. I went for a retinopathy scan, and I spoke with the chap there, and he confirmed what my friend said. I will admit to being very worried at the time, worried that my vision would remain blurred, and who knows what else may have followed... dare I say it.. I was so worried I would go blind... And thankfully, my blood sugar levels started to come down (I was up at 25mmols in Feb!), and my eye sight returned to normal levels (normal for me) and the right glasses (or no glasses) are being used for the right purposes :) So, hang in there if your eyesight hasn't yet started to normalise.. It will take a little while once your body starts to adjust to lowering blood sugar levels...

zebs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had this also when diagnosed and told it was something to do with your eyes readjusting to the normal blood sugar. Something to do with osmosis and amount of water in the eyes, changing refractory index ...all affected by blood sugars. After I was started on insulin my eyes were bad but completely back to normal after about 3 weeks.

Mark Smiles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently experiencing the opposite. I'm two & a1/2 weeks into the ND and I've had to stop my glucophage. My bs is averaging 5.1 with lows of 4.0 And B.P now 120/80 68 beats a minute. Problem is my eyes have started going 'squiffy' and reading is a problem at normal distance. I'm guessing I'm experiencing a far lower B.P in the eyeballs and the lens is still out of focus slightly. I'm not panicking just yet but will leave it until I visit the doc in a few weeks. I've just been advised to go to boots to get some glucose tabs on case of hypo's as a 4 is considered low.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've also made an appointment to get my eyes rechecked. I was prescribed glasses in late December. Then in January I found out I was diabetic. But now that my blood sugars are back down to almost normal (5.5 in late May) I've found my new glasses are horrible and everything is blurry again. I didn't put two and two together until this post. Unfortunately if my prescription has changed I'm going to be out of pocket for glasses as it's with in two years of getting a prescription.

Just Jeff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics, Football.
I have a problem with blurry vision at time. My optician told me it was to do with my eye's being dryer than normal and a tired or dry eye mist from boots should fix it until I got my BG under control

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

TabbyL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the replies and reassurances. My eyes still aren't right, but my bg readings are averaging 7 now, and things are becoming more stable. Fingers crossed that my eyes come back - I am not enjoying wearing glasses to read at close range!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks for all the replies and reassurances. My eyes still aren't right, but my bg readings are averaging 7 now, and things are becoming more stable. Fingers crossed that my eyes come back - I am not enjoying wearing glasses to read at close range!

I think they will settle down, mine did.
Try and keep sugar below 7.8mml/l at all times which helps prevent damage.
I'm sure you can achieve excellent bgs. You're nearly there now. Well done.

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I started metformin, my doctor said my vision will be blurred, but come back to normal later on, and it did.