Shirataki Noodles

pedro606

I heard that Shirataki Noodles are extremely low in carbohydrates. I was pleased to hear that as I could then still continue with my 'stir-fries'.

I ordered some on line and they arrived today. Not as I expected - I thought they would be 'dry' noodles in a packet but are in some sort of watery solution in a packet. I haven't opened the packet yet.

I have absolutely no idea now how I should go about cooking them. Does anyone have any idea. has anyone ever used them before and could recommend ways of cooking them?

Desperately want to try them!

thanks,

Pete

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

pedro606

Hey Dennis,

Many thanks for that! It looks lie a very very versatile noodle. I shall look forward to trying them out.

Cheers,

Pete

pedro606

That would be a bonus if they reduce cholestrol in the bargain as well!

I had some the other night. Rather bland but I think that was my fault as I did not really cook them with the sauce in order to absorb the flavours etc. I opened the packet and poured off the stuff they were floating around in. Then I rinsed them in water and then boiled them for a few minutes and then added them to my casserole type meal. Next time I will let my wife doo a stir fry with them as she knows what she is doing(being from the SE Asia)!

I personally think they would be excellent in a duck or pork soup.

Pete

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been meaning to try these. Quite fancy 'em stir fried with sesame oil, chilli/curry powder and garlic.

(My god I've made myself drool. Gonna pop in the Chinese Supermarket tonight and grab a pack...)

Trinkwasser

Patch said:
I've been meaning to try these. Quite fancy 'em stir fried with sesame oil, chilli/curry powder and garlic.

(My god I've made myself drool. Gonna pop in the Chinese Supermarket tonight and grab a pack...)

pass the cloth

Yes I suspect like many other things they probably taste of the other things you mix them with

Suave

Hi All!

Wow! I just made a post about Shirataki Noodles and then came across this post! I have finally and after some serious effort managed to get the Tofu Shirataki Noodles and I have to say, they are much, much better than the standard ones we normally only get in the UK - they are 2 carbs & 40 Calories per packet but that is hardly anything and well worth it! Feel free to read my post and if you have ant questions, let me know!

Suave!

Suave

ShyGirl said:
I'll have to buy some as I haven't had dinner tonight due to not finding anything edible in my house. Low carb is a pain. Hope they are veggie suitable :(

Hi Shygirl,

Where are you based? If you live in or close to London, I can let you have some of the Tofu Shiratki ones - I have stocked up for my low carb diet but could do with making some room in the fridge!

Suave!

newbienosugar

Hi there
Anyone know where to buy them by post or in London/Herts area. I cant seem to find them in regular supermarkets lke Tesco, Sainsbury or Asda.

A google search didnt bring up anywhere where its in stock
Thanks

newbienosugar

Thanks Pedro. Bad news :(
"NEWS
LOOKING FOR SHIRATAKI YAM NOODLES??

Due to unprecedented demand for Shirataki Yam noodles, since they were featured on the Channel 4 Diet Show, we have SOLD OUT!

We can't accept orders for Shirataki until further notice.
Thank you.
"

pedro606

Newbienosugar,

Whilst you are on an Oriental theme foodwise may I suggest you try 'cauliflower rice' as well. I absolutely love curry and can make a very very mean one indeed. I was so glad I found a rice substitute so I can still enjoy curry!

pedro606

Would you believe it!! Strange he has no 'buy now' price!! Personally I hope he gets stuck with them! I bet he bought them just to profiteer on us poor unfortunate low carbys!!!

trudieb

Hello all,

I'd really really like to try the Shirataki Tofu Fettucine type noodles. Is there anywhere in England that I can buy them. Please help. Have tried the normal Shirataki noodles and I like them. By the way, don't ever freeze these ones and it ruins them. What I mean by freezing them, is when they're still in the packet. My mum did this by mistake, thinking she was putting them in the frige and she ruined ten packets. Anyway... please can someone help re the tofu shirataki fettucine.

trudieb