Coming off of medication

Cracker467

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone.

I was told a while ago by my GP, diabetic nurse and diabetic nutritionist that my sugars are under control and that I should start coming off of my Metformin SR 500mg twice a day dose.

For a few months now I've been on just 500mg a day taken in the morning and today I stopped taking it altogether and I feel like death my sugars in the morning were 5.0 mmol/l two hours after breakfast and 4.3 mmol/l two hours after lunch.

I'm not really sure what to do I feel like my sugars are really high and I keep crashing.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt if stopping the Met for one day has much to do with your feeling grotty.

It takes about 3 weeks of taking Metformin for it to build up in the system to full effectiveness, and I would imagine there will be an equivalent wearing down period after ceasing the tablets. Certainly missing a dose has no appreciable effect on blood glucose. It is a 'slow burner' if you know what I mean. :)

Maybe you are coming down with something? Tired? Dehydrated?

Cracker467

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I don't believe it's a coincidence that my first day off of Metformin has left me crashing. Not having my morning Metformin with breakfast has left me feeling more and more drained through out the day.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry you're feeling so rough. When I came off Metformin my glucose levels raised slightly but I didn't notice any other changes apart from relief from the "digestive issues" it was causing.

Hope it's just a coincidence and you feel better soon.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

I don't believe it's a coincidence that my first day off of Metformin has left me crashing. Not having my morning Metformin with breakfast has left me feeling more and more drained through out the day.
If you feel that your sugars are low, I think this is what you mean by crashing, then do a few random blood sugar tests when you feel at your worse to see if the readings match how you feel.

Cracker467

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I feel at my worst about twenty minutes after eating both breakfast and lunch today, yet for the last few months on 500mg of Metformin in the morning I've been fine. Roll on today and I stop my single dose in the morning I feel terrible.

ronita33

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, I came off Metformin when my diabetes levelled out and dropped, I felt better straight away for not taking it amazing some of the things that happened - my hearing has improved again and I have more energy too - have been off any medication for about 4 months now and I continue to test before and 2 hours after my main meal. I have stopped dropping down to under 4 now and my 2 hours after food test has not gone higher than 8.1 usually shows between 6 and 7 so I am well happy.
Am hoping that I do not come out of remission - I have been warned that it can happen and I am still counted as having diabetes ............. so we will see

Reactions: 4 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Cracker467
Congratulations on getting your BG levels under control so that you can come off the medication. Your BG's are fine and I'm sure you will settle down once you are used to not taking the metformin.

Unless your testing shows any problems with your BG's enjoy the fact that you no longer have to take them

Well done

Cheers

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Hi everyone.

I was told a while ago by my GP, diabetic nurse and diabetic nutritionist that my sugars are under control and that I should start coming off of my Metformin SR 500mg twice a day dose.

For a few months now I've been on just 500mg a day taken in the morning and today I stopped taking it altogether and I feel like death my sugars in the morning were 5.0 mmol/l two hours after breakfast and 4.3 mmol/l two hours after lunch.

I'm not really sure what to do I feel like my sugars are really high and I keep crashing.

I'm so pleased you've managed to come off your medication:)

Be patient and hang in there, I am sure your body will adjust pretty quickly and with a low carb, higher fat diet, you will start to feel better soon. Your BG levels are a credit to all your hard work:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi yes well done you will be fine you have done so well. I go for my 6 month review in July wish they would take me off metformin or at least knock one off .:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi yes well done you will be fine you have done so well. I go for my 6 month review in July wish they would take me off metformin or at least knock one off .:)

You never know and you can always ask:) are you following a good lifestyle, diet exercise etc?

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
You never know and you can always ask:) are you following a good lifestyle, diet exercise etc?

Hi Kevin, yes I think I will ask when I go, I have stuck to the LCHF diet since being diagnosed in Jan this year I have lost weight down from 12st 4lbs to 10st 6lbs feel great. As for exercise I do the school run every day, I look after 4 of my 11 grandchildren on a daily basis and I see to my elderly parent 2-3 times a week so I think that is enough exercise for me. Thank you. :)

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Kevin, yes I think I will ask when I go, I have stuck to the LCHF diet since being diagnosed in Jan this year I have lost weight down from 12st 4lbs to 10st 6lbs feel great. As for exercise I do the school run every day, I look after 4 of my 11 grandchildren on a daily basis and I see to my elderly parent 2-3 times a week so I think that is enough exercise for me. Thank you. :)

Wow...that's great. Definitely pursue it with them. Well done in that incredible weight loss:)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Wow...that's great. Definitely pursue it with them. Well done in that incredible weight loss:)

Hi Kevin, forgot to mention I am 65yrs and have always been active, and my BG reading in Jan was 19.3 now in the 5s most of the time and its all down to the help and support of all the nice people on here, don't know what would have happened to me if I had not joined this site, and only listened to my diabetic nurse advice, of < Oh go ahead eat anything in moderation > kind of thing :eek::eek::eek::eek:
and obviously my own willpower thank you so much all of you and you Kevin for taking the time to reply to me. :happy:

Reactions: 6 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Kevin, forgot to mention I am 65yrs and have always been active, and my BG reading in Jan was 19.3 now in the 5s most of the time and its all down to the help and support of all the nice people on here, don't know what would have happened to me if I had not joined this site, and only listened to my diabetic nurse advice, of < Oh go ahead eat anything in moderation > kind of thing :eek::eek::eek::eek:
and obviously my own willpower thank you so much all of you and you Kevin for taking the time to reply to me. :happy:

65 or not...I'm very impressed and confident you will continue to make excellent progress:)!

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

Cracker467

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
My sugars seem to be sitting roughly the same after two hours after eating but I feel terrible in the mornings after breakfast so I'll be going back on the morning dose of 500mg which makes me feel more energised.

I wish they had smaller dosages so I could come off it easier without feeling so fatigued.