Cured my diabetes

jaym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey everyone just wanted to share my success story! Had my first diabetic review today! My Dr gave me the fantastic news in her own words that I no longer have diabetes and have cured it, also there is no sign that I have any complications from having had diabetes. Have lost so far 3 1/2 stone! Hba1c I'd down to 35 from 51! Said she will see me again in 6 months, if everything is ok they will take me off the diabetic register, feel on top of the world! Just wanted to share my sucess story and give other people hope that through diet and lifestyle changes this illness can be beaten!

Reactions: 6 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hey everyone just wanted to share my success story! Had my first diabetic review today! My Dr gave me the fantastic news in her own words that I no longer have diabetes and have cured it, also there is no sign that I have any complications from having had diabetes. Have lost so far 3 1/2 stone! Hba1c I'd down to 35 from 51! Said she will see me again in 6 months, if everything is ok they will take me off the diabetic register, feel on top of the world! Just wanted to share my sucess story and give other people hope that through diet and lifestyle changes this illness can be beaten!
HI jaym firstly very well done you, you must be so proud of yourself, I know I would be. But you see this is were I get a bit confused, if the doc says you are cured from diabetes does this mean you can now go back to eating sugar and things you ate before, or will you be sticking to what you have been eating while being a diabetic. You see I was led to believe that once a diabetic always a diabetic have I been misinformed, don't take this the wrong way as I was only diagnosed in Jan this year and am fairly new to all this myself and still learning, I had a reading of 148 in Jan April results down to 54 next blood results July.

Reactions: 2 people

jaym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the lovely comments! I still have more weight I want to lose so for me I will be sticking to a low carb diet! Dr did say if you have had diabetes you are in the high risk group of getting it again! Maybe one of the more experienced member can answer this better! But for me it was my lifestyle that made me diabetic, so once I get to my target weight I will adopt a balanced diet with sugar in moderation! Well done with your blood results :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done with your success. You have every right to be pleased that all your efforts have paid off, and relieved that you are well on the way to reaching your goals.

Good luck with the remainder of your planned reductions - you're certainly looking well on it so far

Reactions: 4 people

jaym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks so much for all your lovely comments and support! Could not have done it without this site and all the lovely people!

Reactions: 6 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

Congratulations ..... Keep living a great healthy life:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Excellent HbA1c and weight reductions @jaym! Well done and keep up the good work!:)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many congratulations @jaym great results, really pleased for you. Please do stick to a healthy diet, it's the best way to keep your diabetes in check.

PS your profile pic is great, you must be so pleased with the weight loss :)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @jaym

Congratulations on an absolutely sensational result. It provides hope and inspiration for all of us on here. You deserve to be very proud as it is down to you and the changes you made in your lifestyle to get to this point. Its great that you are still chasing a little weight loss as it will help you keep your the hands on the steering wheel and get that removal from the register at your next review.
Cheers

morradichi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People with a talent for bullsh1t
Well done sir! I'm also trying for the same goal. It's early days yet but the signs are good so far.

Dark Horse

Congratulations! However, the National Screening Committee recommend that once someone has had a definite diagnosis of diabetes, they should continue to have regular diabetic eye screening even if their diabetes goes into remission. Not all GPs are aware of this so it's worth making sure you are still offered it.