Why can't I take control??

mattlynleanne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys, my name is Mattlyn, I am 19 and have had type one for ten years this year. I don't get how some of you guys have such control over your diabetes, it blows my mind. Granted, I've hit MANY speed bumps along the way but I'm sure you all have too.
I think alot of me not caring about my diabetes began when I was first diagnosed, I was 10 and had no idea what was going on. All I remember was going to the hospital and being hospitalized. I was pretty OG from the jump, I let the nurse do my shot once and that was it, I needed to do it from there on out. I think the issue for me was, once I was diagnosed my older sister (16 at the time) had her first baby.. so all the attention was on her and my niece when in reality I was the one who truly needed all the help and attention I could get. At this point I was still checking my blood sugar, counting carbs and doing my insulin like I should. A couple years pass, one or two, and I started realizing if I didn't do my insulin, I lost weight. So I started to slowly not count carbs anymore, not check my blood sugar and definitely not do my insulin, I was down to just doing my lantus at night. Well, then my older sister started doing drugs and my parents had to take care of my niece and I don't even know if they noticed me not taking care of myself, they were too worried about my niece and trying to get my sister clean. I feel like no matter what whenever I needed help with my diabetes I didn't have anyone there to help me.. Now, I'm 19, I had a miscarriage about a year ago because of my uncontrolled diabetes. But guess what? Still not doing anything to try and fix it. Im not really sure what to do.. I'm sure no one is reading this and no one wants to read someone just rambling on.. so i come asking for help. Someone please give me some words of wisdom, i cannot do this on my own anymore. I need a friend, someone I can call to or talk to when Im feeling i cant do this anymore. Just one person..
All i ask for is some help, advice, anything is helpful to me at this point. I want to live a long life and I know 10 years of uncontrolled diabetes isnt the way to do it.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't imagine how dificult having diabetes from the age of ten must be. It was complicated enough for me to try (and I'm still trying) to get my head round it at the start, even at the ripe old age of 23!

This forum will provide some fantastic information from persons with in some cases a lifetime worth of experience and stories to share. You're far from alone.

You must get a better control on your diabetes for your own health and well-being. Having a positive focus on your condition will also give you a target and goal to work towards, giving you a sense of satisfaction when you start reigning those BGL's in and improving your overall control.

You should arrange an appointment with your diabetes team and explain exactly what you have said here. They will be more than happy to help you out. With their professional help you will find that successful diabetes management, although far from easy, is achievable.

It sounds like you have been through a lot in your life especially being the age you are. But those events can be put in the past with your positive decision to move forward and improve things. The improvement must be an initial decision on your part and your family, friends (here included!) and diabetes team will be behind you with every step!

I hope this has helped paint the picture that you're not alone and there are people around to help, all day - everyday!

Good luck Mattlyn:)

Grant

Reactions: 2 people

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Hi Mattlyn, whereabouts are you from? There are people from many different countries on here and knowing which country you're in would help people from your country give you more specific advice, as agencies differ from country to country.

Reactions: 3 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @mattlynleanne :)

Sorry things have been hard for you. I think every Type 1 understands. Diabetes can be very wearing day after day. I don't think people rely understand the hard work and the pressure unless they have it.

How to get control? Well, I think many people have felt tempted to not bother. To not test, to eat what they want. I doubt there's one perfect diabetic anywhere. So what I suggest is to try to put thenpast behind you and make a plan for the future.

Don't plan some massive change - just tiny steps. For example, if you hardly test much - plan to increase that gradually day by day, week by week. If you run your sugars higher than you should, lower what you accept bit by bit, and set yourself new targets. If you eat a not very good diet (and when we're miserable, many of us resort to comfort foods), set yourself a food target - something simple to be healthier.

I also suggest you maybe get the book Think Like A Pancreas. It's got lots of info in it, but you don't have to take all that in in one go. I like it for that info, but I also like it because it's written in a friendly tone.

And post here - post your rants, post your problems, post your insulin dosing problems, post anything. You are not alone :)

Reactions: 4 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
All i ask for is some help, advice, anything is helpful to me at this point
Hi Mattlyn and Welcome
It takes a lot of courage for any of us to actually ask for help (i wish I had done it a few more times in my life) and that courage you have shown tells me that you will be OK and will get thru this!

I want to live a long life and I know 10 years of uncontrolled diabetes isnt the way to do it.
You are right and controlling your diabetes will give you a long life. Although I am a type 2 and can't give you much advice on handling Type 1 it would seem that you have already identified some key starting points
checking my blood sugar, counting carbs and doing my insulin
Also @GrantGam1337 suggestion that you make an appointment with your diabetes team is really important. But most important is you keep coming back to us on here if it still isn't working and if it is as there are many Type Ones here who will be able to offer great advice and tips controlling your Diabetes on an ongoing basis

Cheers

mattlynleanne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can't imagine how dificult having diabetes from the age of ten must be. It was complicated enough for me to try (and I'm still trying) to get my head round it at the start, even at the ripe old age of 23!

This forum will provide some fantastic information from persons with in some cases a lifetime worth of experience and stories to share. You're far from alone.

You must get a better control on your diabetes for your own health and well-being. Having a positive focus on your condition will also give you a target and goal to work towards, giving you a sense of satisfaction when you start reigning those BGL's in and improving your overall control.

You should arrange an appointment with your diabetes team and explain exactly what you have said here. They will be more than happy to help you out. With their professional help you will find that successful diabetes management, although far from easy, is achievable.

It sounds like you have been through a lot in your life especially being the age you are. But those events can be put in the past with your positive decision to move forward and improve things. The improvement must be an initial decision on your part and your family, friends (here included!) and diabetes team will be behind you with every step!

I hope this has helped paint the picture that you're not alone and there are people around to help, all day - everyday!

Good luck Mattlyn:)

Grant
You have no idea how much this really helped. Just getting responses made my anxiety go away. Just knowing other people are like me and have challenges like me makes me feel so much better. I will definitely look into talking to my doctor and seeing what I can do to start changing. Last time him and I talked he wanted me to just check my sugars four times a day for a month and then get me on the pump. So we shall see! Thank you again! You have no idea

Reactions: 4 people

mattlynleanne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree, I should just start with baby steps.. As far as a diet, I have celiac and gastroparesis, so I already can't have gluten or anything greasy or hard to digest so for what I can have I would say I eat pretty healthily.
I truly thank every single one of you for replying to this. It really does mean a lot to me!

Reactions: 2 people

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have no idea how much this really helped. Just getting responses made my anxiety go away. Just knowing other people are like me and have challenges like me makes me feel so much better. I will definitely look into talking to my doctor and seeing what I can do to start changing. Last time him and I talked he wanted me to just check my sugars four times a day for a month and then get me on the pump. So we shall see! Thank you again! You have no idea
Checking bloods four times a day will help the Dr get you on the right doses for your insulin. And also tell you if you're taking too much/too little with each meal.

Pumps seem to help many, many people get tight control on their diabetes. It might be worth having a wee look on the pumps section of this forum and liase with other members who are using them. It should give you an idea of whether it will suit your lifestyle and if it's something you think would help with your condition. If it's for you, then you can start having a look at which sort of pumps are on the market so that if/when you have a discussion with your Dr about them - you'll have a good idea about what he/she is talking about.

That's no problem at all, glad you're feeling a bit better:)

Keep us posted!

Grant

Roasterfred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there, i'm fred, im 17 and have had much the same experience with diabetes, my control has been non existent for around 8 years however in the last few days i have begun (trying) to care for myself if ever you wanted someone to talk to, compare experience or even try taking care of ourselves together plz feel free to message me. ( my hbaic is 13+%)

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey I'm 20 and been diabetic since I was 12 :( I know sometime it looks as though we all have really good control, but I'll let you into a secret.. many of us have good and bad days as well ! I don't know how an earth people managed to get a hba1c of 8 and below still ! I agree with the advice about chatting to your doctor about how your feeling, and just a suggestion if you find it hard to explain in words how your feeling to him/her why don't you show them what you've written here. Good luck and my advice would be start with the small things like test before each meal, then the week after test before each meal and when you get up and slowly increase it then these things will become part of your daily routine

M

mist

You sound determined to get better control, good on you. The first step is to talk with your doctor and draw up a plan of attack. The people on here are very knowledgable so any hurdles you encounter, just jump on here and ask for help.

You should have come on here years ago young miss! Tut tut! :p

Don't stress too much, your winning at life! ;)