New here. Type1.

mattlynleanne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys, my name is Mattlyn and I have had type one for 10 years now.
I came to this website for many reasons, but the main one being I need help. The last ten years for me have been the hardest. I was diagnosed at about 10 and just wasn't ready to "give my life away". Ever since I was diagnosed I have never been able to have control over my diabetes. The main reason I came here is because I need help. I can't seem to do this on my own, no matter how hard I try.. I find myself forgetting to check my sugars and do my insulin and I can't figure out why. I want to get to know other people with the same disease as me and see how they handle it, because I don't. I don't even think I've coped with it yet to be honest. I need tips and tricks and anything in order to help me be healthy. I've already had complications due to uncontrolled diabetes such as gastroparesis and gastritis which neither are any fun.
If anyone has anything they can help me with it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @mattlynleanne
welcome to the forum :)
getting to a level of acceptance can be really really hard yet is what is going to give you the longest happiest life.

I try to just focus on 1 day at a time and I try to be kind to myself when things don't go to plan (like high blood sugars)
or hypos from not getting my insulin dose right for a meal.

for right now just telling us is very brave and we will do our best to try and help you.
lots of good people here.

I am tagging a few nice people to come and offer some support.
@becky.ford93 , @claire1991 , @Juicyj , @Mrsass

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @mattlynleanne Welcome to the forum. There is no time like the present to start taking control, it's a battle for all us to some degree or another, but lots find their day to day care second nature, so literally like breathing to test, inject and move on. Don't dwell on the past or the future, live for each day and it is an easy condition to live with. I also think it's important to think about what life you want to lead, so will it be one of you in control and owning your diabetes or one that could lead to lots of hospital visits. I have a daughter so never want to be a burden to her, so for that reason I try to do the best I can, I try not to beat myself over bad readings, this morning I woke at 12.8 so a minor blip, but correct and move on, they happen just let it go.

Try and focus on something that you feel passionately about, whether it's sport, exercise, music and type 1 becomes something that you deal with alongside life.

And also talk, tell people how you feel, don't bottle stuff up, you're not alone here ;)

Reactions: 6 people

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found the app DiabetesConnect (there are others apps too) that has a feature where you can set times for it to send you a reminder on your phone or ipad. Also, I asked my husband and friends to please ask me if I have checked bs and injected especially at meal times and if I am acting more ;) bizarre than normal. I leave the test supplies and pen on my bathroom counter so it is visible throughout the day. You might also want to put together a kit for your purse with a meter, test strips etc that stays in your purse so you will not forget it when you are out. As others have said, it is a new day and a new start.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 4 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there :)
You've definitely come to the right place for advice. I'd recommend starting just by focusing on getting one thing right, like making sure you always test and inject for breakfast. Personally I find that the easiest meal of the day to "get right" because I tend to eat similar things every day.
Good luck, message me if you need anything!!

Reactions: 6 people