Gently downwards

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again after a regrettable break. Hope you're all doing well.

My six-monthly MoT was this week and my HbA1C is a point lower at 45, so that's nice and steady. Cholesterol after a year without statins has nudged up from 7 to 7.2 but still with loads of good HDL (2.4) and TC/HDL at 3.2. Non-HDL (I believe that's LDL plus all the other bad bits) at 4.81 is also high but I don't know how to gauge that against the old measure of plain LDL. Also I don't know how to work out the triglycerides.

Having read on this forum the case against statins and the nature of cholesterol, I see no point in starting statins again and I hope my GP will agree ("it's your body," she says). For me 7 is normal and healthy.

Last week I had an encouraging review with a diabetic nurse I haven't seen before and we agreed a middle course about diet ("moderation in everything"). I was especially pleased when she assumed correctly that I'm not eating spuds, rice or pasta. That's a welcome concession from an NHS person.

Sorry to have been awol but we moved from a flat with little attention needed to a house and garden with a great deal of attention needed. We were without a landline for three weeks and without internet for two months. I'm still busy but will try to spend more time with my friends here. After all, I owe my wellbeing as a diabetic to you. Thanks.

Reactions: 18 people

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on all your low numbers BUT OMG... NO INTERNET FOR 2 MONTHS, HOW ON EARTH DID YOU SURVIVE? *breathes into a bag*

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you back :)

Glad everything is OK (have been wondering) and looking forward to hearing more of your delicious menus...

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DeejayR you've been missed, glad to hear the numbers are good. In the same boat in terms of statins and high Chol and hte interpretation of... and my GP is going with the flow, which is fine by me.
Any update on your brother, who, if I recall, was not so on message but may have been moving his position.
Good to hear from you and wish you well.

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on all your low numbers BUT OMG... NO INTERNET FOR 2 MONTHS, HOW ON EARTH DID YOU SURVIVE? *breathes into a bag*
I have just come back from a cruise and had no internet for a week and that was bad enough!!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to see you back here @DeejayR.
Been waiting for invitation to the housewarming party.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back :) You genuinely have been missed.
Great to see you are still doing well, and hope your new house will bring you plenty of happiness.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, now I feel guilty for not using a cocoa tin and string or something to communicate.
@hankjam , my bro is doing well on metformin and self-testing and eating a weird home-made bread of soya, linseed and spelt flour which he says is good. My daughter-in-law, who had gestational diabetes on her first pregnancy five years ago, has now been diagnosed with T2 and is troubled by the conflicting advice most of us get. She's in the anger phase atm. She is very slim and fit and runs half-marathons.
@Pipp and @Bluetit1802 we love the house and garden and we have invited everyone we know to drop in but no one has come yet :( I don't think they can find us tucked away.
I was late starting planting on the allotment but am going for broccoli, cauli and celeriac, loads of salad stuff and green beans. No more butternut squash! And I can't resist a greenhouse full of cherry tomatoes (eating never more than 4 at a time without fat).

Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Direct your daughter in law here. She will get help to cope with her T2.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back @DeejayR your well judged inputs have been missed.

Pleased to see that your results show you are still firmly on track.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we're having @DeejayR Welcome Back celebration :p:p - I've really missed you too and have been wondering what happened to you.

Well done with your good numbers, and sympathy over the lack of an internet connection - I'd curl up and die without one as it's been an important part of my life for nearly 25 yeas now both at work and at home...

Robbity

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey great to see you back here.I also haven't been on the forum much lately, but did wonder about ya.Funny how you look out for certain forum members,probably those that have initially been helpful or most influenced your new approach to tackling T2.
Good to know your numbers are fine. ;-)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Hello again after a regrettable break. Hope you're all doing well.

My six-monthly MoT was this week and my HbA1C is a point lower at 45, so that's nice and steady. Cholesterol after a year without statins has nudged up from 7 to 7.2 but still with loads of good HDL (2.4) and TC/HDL at 3.2. Non-HDL (I believe that's LDL plus all the other bad bits) at 4.81 is also high but I don't know how to gauge that against the old measure of plain LDL. Also I don't know how to work out the triglycerides.

Having read on this forum the case against statins and the nature of cholesterol, I see no point in starting statins again and I hope my GP will agree ("it's your body," she says). For me 7 is normal and healthy.

Last week I had an encouraging review with a diabetic nurse I haven't seen before and we agreed a middle course about diet ("moderation in everything"). I was especially pleased when she assumed correctly that I'm not eating spuds, rice or pasta. That's a welcome concession from an NHS person.

Sorry to have been awol but we moved from a flat with little attention needed to a house and garden with a great deal of attention needed. We were without a landline for three weeks and without internet for two months. I'm still busy but will try to spend more time with my friends here. After all, I owe my wellbeing as a diabetic to you. Thanks.

If you contact your doc he will have a separate Trig score, which should 1.5 or below to be in the optimal zone:)

They will also have a separate LDL score:)

I personally agree re your statins decision as your HDL is terrific and my guess is therefore your LDL will be large and fluffy...so good:)

Glad you're back!

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again one and all. I'm afraid my daughter-in-law has been here and gone again in the midst of her anger. She'll stomp around for a bit I expect and then settle down.
@KevinPotts Useful, thanks. Let me try these little icons under our posts -- they're new to me. Can we only do one at a time?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can we only do one at a time?

Yes, unfortunately.

Agree and Useful for the same post would be useful and agreeable, but not possible under the current regime.

You can only "Like" on the app currently as well............

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@KevinPotts ..................not being rude, but can you sort out your signature mate ?

It appears twice, which can be a little disconcerting at times, especially when I'm using the app as I read it thinking it's part of your post :eek:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My thoughts also ...

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Thanks again one and all. I'm afraid my daughter-in-law has been here and gone again in the midst of her anger. She'll stomp around for a bit I expect and then settle down.
@KevinPotts Useful, thanks. Let me try these little icons under our posts -- they're new to me. Can we only do one at a time?

If you mean the smiling face they are on my key board. If you mean my signature, go to top right (several horizontal lines) scroll to Settings and then down to signature and complete the text box :)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.