Am I still diabetic?

karazey27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Eating junk food ? In all my life I've eaten about 10 burgers n 6 kebabs lol I've all ways cooked fresh food I'm sixty something so wear does mine come from geeezz ...... sorry

Reactions: 2 people

Bunjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dr Jason Fung unpicks what causes obesity and also T2 diabetes in his book '"The Obesity Code". Much of what you say he echoes, but he makes a point of saying that while what you eat is very important (reduce sugars and refined carbohydrates, modest protein, increased natural fat) another key factor is *when* you eat. He suggests that 'snacking' helps maintain high insulin levels and so should be avoided. He also recommends that you use intermittent fasting to help reverse insulin resistance. Exercise, good sleep, and lowering stress are other factors.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I believe very strongly that genetics play a very strong part in getting diabetes. If you are predisposed to the diabetic genes, then I am afraid there is no getting out of it. It is only a matter of time. I have seen people who eats junk food, drinks, smokes and do not get the disease in spite of their diet. There are some people who takes care of their health, exercise and eat well; and they still end up getting diabetes later on in life. How can you explain that? Genes.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe very strongly that genetics play a very strong part in getting diabetes. If you are predisposed to the diabetic genes, then I am afraid there is no getting out of it. It is only a matter of time. I have seen people who eats junk food, drinks, smokes and do not get the disease in spite of their diet. There are some people who takes care of their health, exercise and eat well; and they still end up getting diabetes later on in life. How can you explain that? Genes.

Genetics is one reason for becoming diabetic. This is well known, and there are members of this forum in this group, where diabetes runs in their family. However, it is not the only reason by far. There are many reasons.

Bunjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe very strongly that genetics play a very strong part in getting diabetes. If you are predisposed to the diabetic genes, then I am afraid there is no getting out of it. It is only a matter of time.

I'll agree and then I'll disagree. Yes, sometimes particular diseases are caused by a genetic defect in a specific gene. T2 diabetes is not one of those diseases. Diabetes is the consequence of a person's metabolism (many, many genes working or competing together) and how that metabolism is affected by what they eat, how often they eat, and how stressed their metabolism is.

This takes place over a number of years and varies from person to person. Many will never develop diabetes, some will over a number of years, some over a number of decades. Some people only develop diabetes when they move to another country and/or culture. Which suggests that while some people are more disposed to developing diabetes than others the bad gene(s) = diabetes is too simplistic. It is a recipe for pessimism or fatalism. Particularly as some people are able to reduce or reverse their diabetes by diet and lifestyle changes - while their genes are unchanged.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I also agree and then disagree. The only reason diabetes can be reversed is when a person who is obese and lead a very unhealthy lifestyle, and needs to lose a lot of weight. Once they change their habits and lead an active and healthy lifestyle, they can reverse it for good.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
It is managed brilliantly, what ever you do, keep doing it. Do all you can to protect your body, sounds like you intend to. Keep the fight up and be an example to the newly diagnosed and the youngsters that you can live a great life and still manage it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I got it from steroids!!!

And so did I. Although after well over a decade on steroids I did end up weighing over 18 St (252 lb).

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heart problems and was eating a gov gide lines healthy diet .. Over the years my health declined ..I was told it's my heart problems ..my weight increased ..again told not to worry ... Then got T2 ..told I am not eating enough low fat and must eat more carbs ..bread ..potatoes whole wheat pasta ... I took the advice ..my weight incread again in a short space of time ..I felt very unwell ... My diabetic nurse told me again I must eat more carbs ... So with nothing to loose ..I did not take the Drs or dbn advice and went LCHF .. Lost a shed load of weight ..got my life back ... I can now seem to eat whatever I like and my bs is stable within the non diabetec range.
My point here is .. My Heath problems were caused by following a healthy diet as dictated by my dr ... My weight increased when following the higher carb lower fat eating ...
People who have become overweight and T2 don't have to be eating junk foods ... They just have to be following the nice eat well guidelines.....
I don't know if I am still diabetic .. My DSN will never take me off the register..as in her view diabetes is for life end of .... I like to think I am in remission... And if I ever go back to eating what the gov recommend then my diabetes will return..as will my weight

Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
On further consideration I think what happened with me was started taking steroids long term at that time not particularly over weight then at some point became diabetic undiagnosed for quite some time during which had tremendous weight gain culminating in being a T2 who is or was obese..

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Is an Hbalc of 45 mmol still diabetic please?

You're doing well...keep going and decide to make it a total and permanent life style change:)

Hopefully your A1Cs will then continue to fall and you'll have a much better chance of avoiding T2 complications down the track.

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

barbaraww

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow that is absolutely amazing - you are all so very inspirational. I do so well on low carb regime & then out of the blue I get this absolute longing for carbs & I go beserk on them again & become the rice cake queen. Any tips to overcome this weaknesss of mine would be most welcome too. Thanks again everyone

Bunjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow that is absolutely amazing - you are all so very inspirational. I do so well on low carb regime & then out of the blue I get this absolute longing for carbs & I go beserk on them again & become the rice cake queen. Any tips to overcome this weaknesss of mine would be most welcome too. Thanks again everyone

I've found that if I have knowingly or unknowingly eaten more than a few carbs that's when I am hit by the carb munchies a couple of hours later (when the BG drops, I guess). So I drink a glass of water and wait... or better still, for me, a mug of coffee (decaf later in the day/evening) with a dollop of double cream. This seems to take the edge off. It's helped by not having any rice cakes, biscuits, sweets or crusty fresh bread in the house!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don't need to inform the DVLA unless you are on insulin. I wouldn't bother telling your travel insurance company if they already have it on record that you are Type 2 diabetic. Until your doctor takes you off the diabetes register, you are still diabetic. He is unlikely to take you off the register until you have shown him you can maintain non-diabetic levels without the aid of medication for a year or more.
If you are a driver, you need to tell your insurance provider, even if controlling by diet and/or not on meds, even oral meds like Metformin. Failure to do so may invalidate your insurance. They should not increase your premiums though.

However, Life insurance could lead to an increase charge, but annuity/pension costs should reduce. Again check their small print since many say that pre-existing conditions undeclared may invalidate the policy. I had this on a hospital plan where it paid for a diabetes consultation visit but refused to pay when I had admission for a stroke,, since in their opinion my diabetes had made this a pre-existing condition (i.e. I must have had furred up arteries when I applied for the plan, and did not declare it)

Last edited by a moderator:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eating junk food ? In all my life I've eaten about 10 burgers n 6 kebabs lol I've all ways cooked fresh food I'm sixty something so wear does mine come from geeezz ...... sorry

I got mine from junk food, and too much of it, but then again I ate about that a day. (Well maybe on a bad day, but if a bbq is a bad day......)
And when I stopped eating that, and lost a quarter of my body mass, I lost the diabetes with it.

So, I have no problem facing the fact I ate my way to diabetes, as that meant I could take the steps required to resolve it.

Mediterranean diet now, healthy non saturated fats, exercise, and fresh food.

So even if may not help the 20% who aren't obese, perhaps it can help the other 80%, and 4 out of 5 is a good enough starting point for me.

Reactions: 4 people

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make low carb snacks like muffins and even chocolate mousse... for muffins use almond flour instead of flour ( cup of af to 4 eggs, i cook chopped onion and garlic in butter, basil salt pepper and baking soda, mix and then a sardine hidden in the centre (or olive).

Mousse i use 90% dark chocolate, melt half bar with butter in bain marie, mix with electric whisk for 3-4 minutes in a seperate bowl 2 eggs, pot of cream and sweetner (i use about 4 tbs). Add into the chocolate bit at a time and fold in. (While still over bain marie) put into pots and then in the fridge until it sets.

Tastes yummy.

barbaraww

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Muffins sound wonderful & could possibly hit the spot. Will look out for almond flour now then. Ta muchly for that