Lonely

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All

Over the last couple of days I have had 3 hypos. Mostly due to the heat and one i accidently miscalculated my insulin. These have left me very tired and wanting to rest, however, my partners sister alluded to the fact that everyone gets tired and i should just do exercise to perk me up!!!

Does anyone else feel slightly alone with diabetes? I could have slapped my sister in law...if id had the energy lol x

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I feel the same at times, I had two hypo's yesterday, out with my granddaughter, age 7, also type 1, and I wanted to sit down on a bench at my dad's care home summer fayre. By the time we got home and I cooked the meatballs ( so glad I actually made them in the morning) and trying to be upbeat, put together a parachute she won and trying to think of my 5 favourite colours too, but, so very tired.
Take care and have a restful and an enjoyable Sunday.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. We all vary. I never have those feelings with my diabetes but I have never suffered any depression either. Doing some exercise may help reduce any slight depression. Do you go to a gym? I find going out and mixing with others at our gym helps me think about the world outside the home.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh bless your (ignorant) sister in law. Non ds tend not to realise that you are constantly doing the job of a pancreas which is an automatic function. It's a full time ish job on top if just living. We do make mistakes on occasion, and it can be knackering.
Ignore her - unless you actually do want to go the gym.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think people without diabetes don't get hypos at all. They think "Ok, you had a hypo but you treated it, so what's the problem? Let's get going!" Some years ago, I had to specifically tell my partner that I needed to sit and rest for 15 minutes and no, I couldn't just eat the glucose and then continue on the hike!

I honestly think they just don't get it. So, although I understand how tempting a slap must have been, maybe an explanation of how long you need to recover and how some hypos can suck all the energy out of you might be better and hopefully educate her.

I often wish I could give someone Type 1 for a day when they're being particularly unsympathetic (as education not punishment!) and more than once I've wanted to transfer the feeling of a bad low to peolle who just don't get it.

All you can do is try to educate them, and then vent here where people understand :)

Reactions: 3 people