Operations and blood glucose levels

KeithinHerts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The failing NHS and bigots
Have just had a major operation on my back and one of the side effects has been to send my blood sugar levels up. The hospital put me on insulin straight away for a couple of days and then on to Metformin which I have now stopped because of side effects.
Anyone know why blood sugars should rise after an operation. Are they likely to fall again naturally.
Before this my HBA1c was 44 and everything was being controlled by diet and exercise.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's quite normal for blood sugar to go up with an illness or operation. It should slowly go back down to normal. Keeping the carbs extra low for a bit should help.

Tez_Ann_J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok to add to this discussion, I had a pacemaker fitted 3 wks ago & everything seemed to be going well apart from sugars a bit high. Felt very ropey last night with hypo-like symptoms at 6.3 on my meter. Got completely checked over with nothing obvious to doctor (all well with mechanics & no infection). Could this have been a 'false hypo' because I've been running high?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok to add to this discussion, I had a pacemaker fitted 3 wks ago & everything seemed to be going well apart from sugars a bit high. Felt very ropey last night with hypo-like symptoms at 6.3 on my meter. Got completely checked over with nothing obvious to doctor (all well with mechanics & no infection). Could this have been a 'false hypo' because I've been running high?

Sounds like good possibility. :)
Don't worry, as your levels settle back to their old, lower levels, they will start feeling normal again.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just had a major operation on my back and one of the side effects has been to send my blood sugar levels up. The hospital put me on insulin straight away for a couple of days and then on to Metformin which I have now stopped because of side effects.
Anyone know why blood sugars should rise after an operation. Are they likely to fall again naturally.
Before this my HBA1c was 44 and everything was being controlled by diet and exercise.

Sorry you had to have an op - and hope you are feeling better!

I think bg levels rise for a number of reasons - stress, pain, lack of sleep, tiredness after op, drugs and anaesthetic still in the system, gawdawful hospital food... Steroids and statins are well known for raising blood glucose levels, as are other drugs.

Hopefully your bgs will return to normal.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I have had a lot of surgery and ICU time and have been on Actropid which is IV insulin on every occasion. It is normal to have higher than usual BGs during your healing process. I had severe sepsis last time and my BGs were raised for months after a 9 week hospital stay. See your GP or DSN if you have one if it not improving. Take care and get well ! Hugs. :)

KeithinHerts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The failing NHS and bigots
Thanks for the advise folks. Does encourage you to take care of yourself when you know you have the support of others.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope the op was a success and that you will shortly feel better.

Does anyone know if hospitals routinely test blood sugars of non-diabetics pre and post surgery?