How are everyone's pregnancies going?

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello ladies,

Hope everything is going well for u @Mrsass.

Think this is more of a general pregnancy type question... But u may be able to help me.

Everything I've read says I should be starting to feel better by week 12, but actually I am feeling quite a lot worse, I've felt sick all day every day for the past 3 days and I'm feeling a bit fed up! I've had absolutely no energy or appetite. Sugars have been ok, couple of above range, couple below, to be expected! I actually feel more sick when my sugar is low, which is handy when u need food/fluid! I've managed to eat my meals even tho I don't really feel like it! But I just feel awful all the time at the mo! I do remember appetite loss probably around the same time of pregnancy last time (even tho I was still unaware I was pregnant) I do remember being off my food, but has put it down to a drug prescribed by diabetic doctor that I was taking! has anyone had anything similar? X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Hi @Sarahkylie88, you may just have to be patient for your symptoms to ease. Do you remember if you were like this during your previous pregnancy? I was never sick/no loss of appetite in my first trimester but, the second trimester surge of energy and wellness hasn't happened for me. I am pretty exhausted by around 4pm and my performance at the gym is pitiful - exercises that I was 100% comfortable with before my pregnancy and even during my first trimester have become a challenge.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're only just 12 weeks so, it may take a little time for things to improve, we're not designed to work like a clock. Is it food aversions or just no appetite/sickness? If the former, have you experimented with different foods very much?

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's just appetite loss and general feeling sick all day! I am able to eat, mainly because I know I have to to keep my sugars stable, but once I start eating I'm ok, until a couple of hours later when I feel sick again, last night I felt horrendous, like I was going to be sick but wasn't. I've actually taken some medication prescribed by the doctor a few weeks ago when I mentioned I was feeling a bit off but it was manageable. He gave it and said if it gets worse don't be a hero! Take it if u need to! So today I decided to try it and I have felt a lot better, I still feel sick now, bit nighttime is definitely my worst time! Thank u! Just felt I was on my own in the feeling worse stakes! I guess you're right I just need to be patient. How many weeks are u now @Postitnote? I hope it eases up for u soon! Guess we r both waiting for the surely we of energy and wellness!

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am 19 and a few days. I make a very poor pregnant woman in afraid. Grumpy most of the time as I'm not used to being limited. I hate asking for help and being told I can't do something! :p

Don't be a martyr! If there is a way of helping you feel better then go for it!

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello ladies,

Hope everything is going well for u @Mrsass.

Think this is more of a general pregnancy type question... But u may be able to help me.

Everything I've read says I should be starting to feel better by week 12, but actually I am feeling quite a lot worse, I've felt sick all day every day for the past 3 days and I'm feeling a bit fed up! I've had absolutely no energy or appetite. Sugars have been ok, couple of above range, couple below, to be expected! I actually feel more sick when my sugar is low, which is handy when u need food/fluid! I've managed to eat my meals even tho I don't really feel like it! But I just feel awful all the time at the mo! I do remember appetite loss probably around the same time of pregnancy last time (even tho I was still unaware I was pregnant) I do remember being off my food, but has put it down to a drug prescribed by diabetic doctor that I was taking! has anyone had anything similar? X

Hello sweetie, you sound exactly like me.... I started feeling really ill and being sick from 11 weeks to 14/15 weeks. When my bloods dropped I would throw up even more - not nice when u drink lucozade and its all down the sink after lol.

I couldn't believe it, because like you, everyone said I would start to feel better in my second trimester lol. Thankfully I haven't been sick for months and if I have or am i believe it's only because baby doesn't like something I have eaten lol. To be honest after 15 weeks I hadn't felt pregnant at all apart from my bump lol.

It will get easier and better soon sweetie.

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Hun, at least I know I'm not alone! Glad your sickness has settled down now! I've not actually been sick I just feel it! Those tablets r working a treat tho! got my scan tomorrow! So excited! When is your next scan X

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Watched "One Born Every Minute" yesterday. I have decided to have a caesarean. NO ONE is doing anything dodgy with my lala thank you very much.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad tablets are working for you @Sarahkylie88 what have you been given? I think I tried them ALL but none worked for me when I had my sickness! Hope your scan goes well let us know what happens :) xx

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, will be 14 weeks on Friday. All going great with pegnancy - been lucky with sickness etc - but the lows have been causing me issues. Or, more specifically, the hospital team's reaction to them. Yes, I had a lot, but worked on basal to reduce as many as I could.

Hypos sure aren't nice, but they do sneak up on you, so sometimes there's no way of preventing them as there's just no flamin' pattern!!! And it's always in the back of my mind that bubs deals ok with hypos, but not with high sugars. Since going to the joint diabetes/anetnataal clinic, I've been seeing a different DSN, who seems to report to a different consultant, and they have turned into the hypo police. To the point that, after having an unexpected low of 2.7 a day before an appointment, I burst into tears at home, worried about how to try and explain it to them. I'm not the shy and retiting type, and can fight my corner, but you really don't need that when you're exhausted and hormonal. I eventually told the DSN that I didn't appreciate being put on the diabetes naughty step. She even asked me to fish out hypo treatment from ym handbag to prove I had some on me?!?! I've been diabetic for 32 years..................

I'm on a pump, and have had tight control for a while. HbA1c before pregnancy was 5.5%. I'm also very sensitvie to insulin so, for me, a change of 0.01 is my starting point for my basal. Latest apointment yesterday, with my usual (lvoely & very helpful) DSN but who now also seemingly reports to another consultant, led to them reducing my basal overnight and until midday, by 0.05 per hour. This ia a huge jump for me, and I told them I had reservations. With the result, woke up at 8.7 - the highest by far for 13 weeks, and stuggling even with corrections to get it back under 7.

Sorry for the rant, but am hugely frustrated. Of course I understand - and am glad of! - their concern for my safety, but I think our knowlege of our own bodies should be taken into account a little more?? I would say that I'm never had anything less than excellant care at the hospital, so this isn't intended as a slating for the team.

Karen xx

Reactions: 2 people

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rant away @kazC !! The hypo police can be patronising!! Asking to see your hypo treatment is rather rude I think! I just smile and agree with them. They only have your best interests at heart I assume. I find that most of their helpful suggestions on how you avoid hypos I have already tried.... and it hasn't worked.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@kazC I felt upset and angry on your behalf just reading that. How patronising! I'd have made a complaint about the person who asked to see yoyr hypo treatment - what on earth???

Hypos are normal in pregnancy. They're caused by the pregnancy not by 'being stupid' or doing anything wrong. I was asked how I was managing with the hypos, but I was never told off about them and I never had to show anyone all my blood test results. I was asked about patterns, and my lowest and highest. My DSN made some suggestions about changes to my basal, but let me decide how much or how little I'd change it (obviously, my suggestions were sensible).

Stand up for yourself. You shouldn't be made to feel like a naughty child, and maybe any staff who make you feel like that will think a bit more before they speak in that way to their next patient.

Hope you're feeling better now.

mf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I hope ye don't mind me joining the thread. I'm 7 weeks and my wee really smells. Also I'm having lots of hypos. Are these dangerous to baby?? Thanks

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@kazC I felt upset and angry on your behalf just reading that. How patronising! I'd have made a complaint about the person who asked to see yoyr hypo treatment - what on earth???

Hypos are normal in pregnancy. They're caused by the pregnancy not by 'being stupid' or doing anything wrong. I was asked how I was managing with the hypos, but I was never told off about them and I never had to show anyone all my blood test results. I was asked about patterns, and my lowest and highest. My DSN made some suggestions about changes to my basal, but let me decide how much or how little I'd change it (obviously, my suggestions were sensible).

Stand up for yourself. You shouldn't be made to feel like a naughty child, and maybe any staff who make you feel like that will think a bit more before they speak in that way to their next patient.

Hope you're feeling better now.
Thanks for the supportive words ladies. It is good to have people that understand how I feel. In a much better frame of mind now. I spoke recently to my usual consultant, who wasn't at all concerned about my bloods, and told me hypos were entirely normal and that I was doing a good job. #sighofrelief

@4lgd

I am now 15 weeks and just the lows that are bothering me. Constantly reducing basals and bolus ratios, especially at work - require 50% less bolus for meals and have no basal insulin for a 6 hour period through the middle off the day! Take my hat off to anyone doing this with out a pump or libre/CGM. I self fund the libre and i think it is helping prevent the really low lows (feel likeI am tempting fate with that statement). I did decide to try a Chinese take away last night (was my mums birthday so special occasion), only had chicken noodle soup and prawn toast, but wow the spike! Not being to hard on myself over one reading, I reacted quickly and got it back down without a massive crash, but Chinese is definitely now on the "Just Not Worth It" list. Lovely to hear from everyone else here, I am finding the support really useful

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello ladies! Sorry I've been missing in action! Had a crazy few days now spreading the good news!!

@kazC I'm glad your have been seen by a supportive team member! That's not what u need at all! How patronising! I'd have felt like bopping her on the head with my lucazade bottle and blaming the hormones!! you're doing your best! As are we all!! Keep it up!

@4gld I'm not quite as extreme as you, but I feel your pain! I find I'm adjusting things every few days at the moment! My afternoons are my problem! I have 0.35 u per hour and have still required a -temp basal at times! Have now reduced lunch insulin carb ratio which has helped slightly, but going to knock another -0.10 off per hour! I'm sure it won't be long till we are going the other way and increasing everything every few days!

@ellie_wilks my scan was lovely! Absolutely beaming when we came out! Baby was just gorgeous and very photogenic as the sonography for kept commenting! I was actually 13 weeks (now 14) which is what I thought so due date has come forward to 21st of December! (We worked this out to have happened the night we went to watch Adele in concert every time I hear her songs I now thank her for my very slight bump!) hehe!!

Next scan is start of August!

How are things going with u @ellie_wilks?
Here's a little pic for u!

35f67c3380c355c50860ae54330bbd85.jpg

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Sarahkylie88 glad everything was ok with your scan and the picture is so adorable - the first one that actually looks like a baby!

Ive got my 12 week (which like you will actually be 13 week based on dates) on the 5th July! When I went for my 8week + 3 day scan they said it measured at 7week + 5 days so hopefully it's had a little growth spurt and is all ok for the next scan.

I got a Doppler a couple of weeks ago so have been listening to its tiny little heartbeat every few days which is getting stronger so can't wait for my scan!!

xx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone! How r u getting on X

newtonj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello I hope you don't mind me joining this thread! I'm 12 weeks + 1 day (according to my calculations:)), and due to have my 12 week scan on Tuesday:D. It was a planned pregnancy and my hba1c was 51 when we conceived. I thought I was doing great when I got my next hba1c through of 49 (I think that's 6.5%) as its the best I've ever been ( I used to have hba1c of 10% pre-pregnancy!!) and was busy thinking well done me, and the nurse just said well it needs to be tight, no well done or anything. :rolleyes:
Im on a pump and send a report off to the dsn every week, and wait for them to come back with suggestions of how to change basal, as it seems to change every week. They just seem to expect so much more from me than I can possibly do, and I am so stressed with trying to keep my levels right, and carb counting until I have nightmares about it. I even weigh most of my meals to make sure correct bolus etc.
anyway last night I felt rubbish and tested, my BG was 16!!:arghh::arghh: And I promptly burst into tears and feel like giving up. I am so scared it is going to have damaged the baby and SO SCARED of sending my next lot of results through to the dsn, and await their telling off. I woke up this morning with a bg of 12, and so its obviously been high all night even though I had corrected.
Awaiting the scan on Tuesday, but I suppose it wont even show on there if there's been damage or not.

Have any of you had high BG's as high as this?:eek: So worried. I just want my precious baby to be healthy and feel so terrible that I might have done something to hurt it:( I feel so bad. Desperately want to give up but know I CAN NOT.

Sorry just getting it all out the system!!! :)

J xx