Going on first holiday since being diagnoised

pinklady69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im getting a little anxious about my holiday ro Cyprus soon. I got diagnoised 3 months ago and ive lost 27lbs since by healthy eating and apart from the odd headache i do feel better. My concern is the holiday what if i go off the rails? What do i eat? What if i want a little fun or ice cream? I dont know what to do snd i havnt even gone yet!

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am sure you will enjoy it, if you have a little slip up hey your on holiday!!
You have done really well to lose so much weight in three months.Take your meter with you and you can legitimatley experiment with new foods ;-)
Failing that just get stuck into most things from a Mediterranean island.Grilled fish,lean meats, olives,grilled cheese,nuts, Greek yogurt,salads and red wine......and repeat.
Enjoy.

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@pinklady69 I've found that every time I have been away on vacation or weekend breaks my BG levels have not suffered even though I have often strayed from my usual diet.

I put it down to being more relaxed, and also doing more walking (wandering around)

I would wager the food you will generally eat in Cyprus will be far more diabetic friendly than you might fear, and the odd ice cream should not cause you huge alarms.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Cyprus is LCHF heaven - apart from the gorgeous flatbreads, **** them. I am a freak and always come back from holidays a bit lighter. My wife can't believe it, she usually gains the same weight I lose. We've figured she's less active whereas I'm more active (She works at a university and spends the day walking between bits of the campus, I'm desk bound). When we're on hols, we swim, surf, cycle most days.

Mind you last holiday, to Marrakech, I got amoebic dysentry and lost 4kg, but I don't think that's a good solution.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was in Paphos recently there was an ice cream shop which sold sugar free frozen yogurt and a selection of fruits to have mixed in with it. Lovely.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Just enjoy your holiday. The meter will guide you if you go too far but I'm sure you can select some of the lower-carb foods and still have good meals

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I go on vacation, I usually do not worry about my diabetes but do try eat within the guidelines and eat in moderation, staying away from things like ice cream, cakes, pastries and anything that has a load of sugar. Seldom have dessert. I do not test during vacation as my doctor told me not to bother, just enjoy myself. I do a lot of walking and sightseeing and have actually lost some weight too. I get back on tract when I return and all is well, so no worries. Just remember to take your medication with you. Happy vacation!

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I remember going for a meal in Limassol it consisted of several meat courses what you got was a plate with the meat on and salad in a large bowl which you just helped your self to together with yoghurt (used rather like salad cream ) Mind you that was a long time ago and I was working not on holiday

Edit to correct error that meal was in Limassol not Paphos Paphos was another day involving a large quantity of booze being imbibed.:).

Last edited by a moderator:

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
I just wanted to post a .... HUGE congratts @pinklady69 on your massive achievement in weight loss in such a short time

Enjoy your holiday - life is for living

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Im getting a little anxious about my holiday ro Cyprus soon. I got diagnoised 3 months ago and ive lost 27lbs since by healthy eating and apart from the odd headache i do feel better. My concern is the holiday what if i go off the rails? What do i eat? What if i want a little fun or ice cream? I dont know what to do snd i havnt even gone yet!

Massive congrats. Your is s great turn around:)

I'm on hols now... The first since my diagnosis... eating more than usual, but trying to be thoughtful about the carbs and am therefore only nudging up my BG readings.

I am sure you can do the same:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

pinklady69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was in Paphos recently there was an ice cream shop which sold sugar free frozen yogurt and a selection of fruits to have mixed in with it. Lovely.
Hi Carol i dont suppose you can remember the name? X

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@pinklady69 Sorry didn't look at the name. We stayed at the Annabell Hotel and it was only a short walk along the sea front, if you get to the harbour, you've gone too far. There were seats outside the shop but you will have to have a good look because every shop has seats outside. Google Earth doesn't have street view for Paphos.

pinklady69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@pinklady69 Sorry didn't look at the name. We stayed at the Annabell Hotel and it was only a short walk along the sea front, if you get to the harbour, you've gone too far. There were seats outside the shop but you will have to have a good look because every shop has seats outside. Google Earth doesn't have street view for Paphos.
Thank you ill take a look when im out there