Are tattoos safe?

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

I am considering having a tattoo on my foot. I already have four which I had years before diagnosis of type 2diabetes.

Is it safe for diabetics to have tattoos?

My BG is not particularly under control and I'm having a few issues with it being too high which the doctor is aware of. I'm just wondering if this would have any impact on me having a foot tattoo.

If there is anyone here who can offer any advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tattoos are fine for diabetics - if your blood sugar is controlled - if you have very high blood sugar and a high hba1c, it is probably not a good time to get a tattoo as that will make healing more problematic and make you more high risk for infection. I would advise getting your blood sugar under control & then think about a tattoo.

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sean01

I saw your question and my immediate thought was - it all depends on what the tattoo is. For example having 'Fugitivus' written in block latin text across your forehead might possibly get you arrested and killed on the spot if you run into some Romn Legionaries on the way home from the taverna.
I'm sure other people will have more sensible answers.I do not speak with any experience of tattoos but I am half way through watching the box set of Spartacus.

Reactions: 8 people

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I am considering having a tattoo on my foot. I already have four which I had years before diagnosis of type 2diabetes.

Is it safe for diabetics to have tattoos?

My BG is not particularly under control and I'm having a few issues with it being too high which the doctor is aware of. I'm just wondering if this would have any impact on me having a foot tattoo.

If there is anyone here who can offer any advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

The only problem you may have is it might take longer to heal.

Just make sure to follow the instructions for cleaning it, etc.

I am a type 1 but had very bad control but still got tattoos done and they are all perfect (I have 31 now)

Reactions: 4 people

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
The only problem you may have is it might take longer to heal.

Just make sure to follow the instructions for cleaning it, etc.

I am a type 1 but had very bad control but still got tattoos done and they are all perfect (I have 31 now)[/QUOTE

Thanks for the reply. So when you had yours, was your blood sugar not under control? Did the tattoo bleed more than normal? Sorry for the questions I just want to be fully prepared. The ones I had prior to me being diagnosed were no trouble at all. No scabbing, pain anything. I know I'm probably being over cautious.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
I have has one since learning I am a type 2. . Tattooist wanted to know ahead of time as it was on the waiver form but was not a problem.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got plenty of tattoos and have had 3 done since I was diagnosed including a big one across my back and they've all healed up quickly and without issue. However, if your BS control is a bit off, I'd be very wary of having one on your foot as they can be problematic anyway without the added complication of a tattoo
It's your choice, but in your position I'd probably try and get my blood sugar under control first

sony7

Having diabetes doesn't mean you can't have a tattoo, yet before choosing to have one done you should be well and guarantee that your diabetes is all around controlled. High glucose levels, for instance, can muddle the recuperating procedure and expansion the danger of contamination.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
e65cf25fb477d5bc78c8dafde607e6bd.jpg
New tatt! Took 1.5hrs & bloods only slightly elevated afterwards!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 4 people

Geecornes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm type 1 with pretty poor control. I had a tattoo done 3rd July and it has completely healed without any complications. The only concern I would have would be getting one on my foot as I know cuts do not heal well on my feet. Apart from this I would say you'd be completely fine x

parker92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tattoos are perfectly fine as long as you look after them. I had a tattoo done on my foot years ago when my control was awful and hba1c was shocking and it healed quickly and well.

I now have over 10 and counting. Absolutely love them