Urgent help

hayleyowen90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering what to do? I've just took my humalog( fast acting) 12 units by mistake and meant to take my humlin I (slow releasing) insulin, I've just had a load of sugar what shall I expect at night time and is there anything else I can eat to keep it stable ??? And what kind of reading will I expect in the morning and will I have hypos ????

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Eat sufficient food to match the insulin, but I would go to bed a bit later tonight and maybe test during the night until you know the humalog dose is exhausted.

hayleyowen90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem I got is how much sugar or carbs do I need to have ? I don't count the carbs to match the insulin so not got a clue xx

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with @noblehead
I did this before, and I suffered hypos in the night. Try eating something with slow release carbs if you can.
I think it's a good idea to set an alarm to do some during the night testing too @hayleyowen90
Hope it stabilise's out for u nicely tho

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

hayleyowen90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not had a hypo in the night so I'm really worried right now, I don't know what to expect ? Xx

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The problem I got is how much sugar or carbs do I need to have ? I don't count the carbs to match the insulin so not got a clue xx

Most people start at 10 carbs per 1 unit of insulin so you would be looking towards 120 carbs, don't eat them all in one go though otherwise you will go sky high and feel very sick.
Have you taken your background insulin as well? If not then you probably wont need quite as many carbs.

hayleyowen90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had half a bag of marshmallows and eating toast now, and no I've not had my slow releasing insulin and it will be to much won't it x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Quick acting is normally out of our bodies by 5 hours.
Try to have some longer acting carbs as well..

Brillpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow... I nearly did that a few times and it can happen so easily Good to hear all the good advise given. I think I would watch a lot of night time TV with lots of snacks.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

hayleyowen90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you guys, and im a perish who needs a good night sleep to be ok the next day lol, and would you leave my slow releasing insulin for tonight? X

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only just seen the replies to this thread - hope u were OK during the night?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

hayleyowen90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well my sugars were 10.7 which is quite high for me at 3 in the morning so I ended up taking my slow releasing insulin and it brought it to 7.5 thank you for your advice guys

Reactions: 4 people