How do you deal with....

bufferz

the sugar pangs on low carb(which by implication is no sugar esp as T2)? to be honest, my first slip up this week was a dairy milk bar about an hour ago and feel really guilty about eating it, but whats done is done, and its the 1st time i really wanted a sugary snack, and im not gonna deprive myself, never have done, its not like i'll have another for a good while, but doesnt stop me feeling ashamed of myself :roll:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The carb cravings do subside if you persist.
Says Me, who has been at the Twiglets this afternoon :evil:
the trick that works for me is to have a "little".
I've had 1 handful of Twiglets and now a cup of tea.
Hana

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
Like Hana says, it gets easier quite quickly. Although I do keep an emergency bar of 70% chocolate, which I dole out 1 square at a time when I need the psychological boost! (the current one's lasted me since well before Christmas).
You can get low-sugar chocolates if you don't like the very dark stuff, although some of them taste like wax :? ..... the Cavalier bars are nice, but they tend to give you the runs and they are low-sugar, not low-carb.

bufferz

As is put, this is the first time since i started i had a "slip", might have to invest in some sugar free jellies for my sweet tooth pangs, which seem to subside, but the problem is when the choccys sit staring at you saying "eat me, eat me" :lol: Think the best thing is to forget about it, until next time..... :twisted: :twisted:

Fujifilm

bufferz said:
but the problem is when the choccys sit staring at you saying "eat me, eat me" :lol:

Glad its not just me with that problem, mine even call me from the kitchen cupboard :lol:

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Try not to beat yourself up too much over it ,its done, move onwards ! I had a terrible day on Friday , felt quite murderous :evil: So bad tempered and deprived, so sorry for myself, pathetic really but I swear I would have killed for a pork pie !!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've been awful with nuts and Twiglets today, but the pre-Christmas bar of chocolate is still unopened and I have a box of low carb chocolate truffles I made for Christmas guests, which is still uneaten.
I have to confess iI'm not really a choccy person. Still it's the swimming poo;l at 8:30 tomorrow morning, followed by the gym and a few days on the very Strait and narrow. Gym Group weigh in om Thursday and DSN( with lates HbA1c) later the same morning
Hana

Doczoc

Rule 1 - Never feel guilty for your high carb lapses.
Rule 2 - Remember to carry out Rule 1

But seriously, it does get easier. I used to make frozen full fat yoghurt flavoured with Da Vinci's syrups - hazel nut with real hazel nuts. I tend not to bother with sweeteners any more though. On the occasional craving I have a large glass of red and some 85% choccy, but that's not to everyone's tastes. Hmm got me craving hazel nut yoghurt now! :D

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I try to plan for something yummy as part of my menu because I need it! :D 8)

JanetS

Well...my colleagues insisted I join in the birthday lunch today, even though I had to rush off for a dentist appointment, and I unfortunately just HAD to have some of the home made mud chocolate cake!! It was simply sublime!! Did I feel guilty? Nah. For supper I just had steamed salmon and vegetables (without the tatties) so hope this went a little way to compensate. Had it not been snowing this afternoon I would have gone out walking, but twas cold!! :roll:

Got my appointment tomorrow (still very much hoping she'll let me have a meter!).

Synonym

Dislikes
Hi Janet,

Hope all goes well tomorrow and that you get your meter! :D

Cazz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been lo-carbing for around ten months now and have really struggled with my sugar cravings. I think the problem has been not enough fat in my diet which I found very hard to increase. I'm now eating around 140g fat per day and for the last three weeks have been able to say no to my beloved puddings with custard! Seeing the excellent results on my meter helps too and I'm also really enjoying my diet. I absolutely love meat, cheese, cream, gold top milk etc.. and I'd rather have those than sugary carbs. Don't be scared to snack on ham and cheese. It took me a long time to get over the fat is bad mentality.

JanetS

Hi synonym, I didn't get the meter, but that's not to say I won't ever get one! She wants me to go on the X-pert course first (start this Tuesday for 3 weeks) and I will have another blood test in about a month's time. From that she will decide whether it will be worth my while. :wink:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
JanetS said:
Hi synonym, I didn't get the meter, but that's not to say I won't ever get one! She wants me to go on the X-pert course first (start this Tuesday for 3 weeks) and I will have another blood test in about a month's time. From that she will decide whether it will be worth my while. :wink:

You would be far better off ignoring the advice about the meter and go and buy one, start testing as previously advised and get a head start on the rest on the course. You will be able to clearly see just what certain foods do to your Bg levels. Keep a food diary too.

It is YOUR body, YOUR health we are talking about here ! Why waste a month....... :(

Synonym

Dislikes
Hello again Janet :)

Cugila is quite right, it is best to just get on and buy one. After all what will you do if she rules it out in one months time as she probably will? :roll:

If you don't test after foods you won't know how they are affecting your BG levels and you need to know so that you can make sure you have a healthy future. :)