T1: Cola Zero: Is It ok to drink it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seriously? Don't be so ridiculous. It wouldn't be permitted for sale if it contained "chemicals and poisons". The ingredients in diet drink products may not be particularly health-promoting but they are certainly safe in limited quantities. Scare mongering like that is not helpful. What's astonishing is that in this day and age people think that these products are so unsafe.

Poisins was probably a bit strong in the previous post but basically it is full of junk. Permitted junk yes, and not illegal - but still junk I'd never choose to drink.

But, we all make our choice, so please enjoy your Coke!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Phil_Slater

I think anything that contains artificial sugars is bad for health.
The truth is now out in the open, Artificial Sugars do possess Health risks.
So Coca Cola Zero is definite not good for you.
Even in your regular diet, I suggest you use

healthy alternatives instead of aspartame or saccharin!

Thanks, Stay Fit, Stay Healthy!

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
There is some recent research suggesting stomach hormones are activated by "sugar free" sweetners that have a debilitating impact on BS as well as continuing the addictive stronghold centres within the brain, which is already established science.

Edited by a mod

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app
If you're talking about that one in Israel, it was very very weak evidence, was mostly about Saccharin and only done on mice. Animal studies aren't very convincing and don't relate to humans. Chocolate after all is poisonous in quite low doses to dogs, whereas as we all know, it's a superfood for humans.

Coke Zero is brilliant, it's like fizzy water, but tastes nice and is actually cheaper than fizzy water in many pubs. It's like Diet Coke but for men. (I believe women are allowed to drink it if they're accompanied by a male)

Reactions: 2 people

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I find it astonishing that in this day and age people still don't know that any cola drink is nothing but chemicals and poisons. Your father is correct. One now and again won't hurt though.

Have you seen the ingredients of an all 'natural' apple?
http://reading-skeptics.org.uk/memes/health/apple_E-numbers.jpg
PHOSPHORUS!!!! and ACIDS!!! Wake up Sheeple. They're poisons, it's even got H20, they try to disguise it by calling it 'Aqua', but it's deadly if it gets in your lungs.

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
If you're talking about that one in Israel, it was very very weak evidence, was mostly about Saccharin and only done on mice. Animal studies aren't very convincing and don't relate to humans. Chocolate after all is poisonous in quite low doses to dogs, whereas as we all know, it's a superfood for humans.

Coke Zero is brilliant, it's like fizzy water, but tastes nice and is actually cheaper than fizzy water in many pubs. It's like Diet Coke but for men. (I believe women are allowed to drink it if they're accompanied by a male)

Thanks, that's a helpful counter balance:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
I'm borderline hooked on sugar free drinks of most flavours - it's the sensation and the coldness I crave, yet I've tried sparkling water and find it revolting. I prefer the still variety.

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
I have found a lot of the things I used to enjoy are just not the same now, I drink sugar free energy drinks now, I also enjoy Sainsbury's sugar free D & B and cream soda, I am not so keen on coke zero or diet coke, they are different and I don't like them, I used to be a Coke drinker above all others but now rarely at all.
Like all sodas/fizzy drinks they have some form of artificial sweetener so according to some are rubbish hey ho

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coke an Pepsi light, diet or 0 have no noticble impact on my sugar levels.

However at the risk of getting shot down:-
One or two Whisky and coke light /diet/0 in the evening is the best thing I have found to keep my blood sugars stable overnight (that's after 40 years of dealing with type1.)

I use a Dexcom G4 do have real time graph to look at, it uncanny how the highs and lows smooth out. (It works for me)

Dicky1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find cherry flavoured Pepsi max much tastier than any coke. All diet drinks however should only be drunk
In moderation.
40 years type 2 and every day above ground is a good day

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The OP is a young person with Type 1.

Please can people bear that in mind when responding.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've been out tonight and enjoyed a nice cold can of diet coke :)

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.