Pump users

tomfalc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's a pump section on here, i have found im hypoing more on the pump atm, but thats all trail and error with basal testing ect,
You generally need a lot less insulin on the pump than when injecting. If you're still using ratios calculated for MDI that could explain the hypos. As you say, trial and error. I'm confident you'll get there, but it can take several months.

Tom

Reactions: 2 people

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
Thank you!

If it's just a case of basal test until you figure it out, while it doesn't sound like much fun, at least I know what to expect and what I need to do to get there. I have been trying to basal test, but all the instructions say don't bother if you have been hypo in the last 6 hours. Which is a bit like trying to find a unicorn...

I'm not keen on enlite as I'm up & running with my dexcom now. I doubt I'll get funding for an integrated one (despite no awareness etc) because my ccg hates diabetics. I've looked into the animas vibe, which is offered by my clinic,but it doesn't currently do low suspend, I don't think & I sort of think that is shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

I don't want to wait for someone to release a pump suitable for my specific needs. I hope the change of switching on to the pump will just allow me to accept running a bit higher for basal testing etc - maybe I won't feel so guilty for the hypers if it's for a purpose? & I'll feel like there are more tools to try to find the middle ground (5-8) rather than having to choose between 2 & 12, which is what I feel like I'm doing on MDI.

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
Hi Catapillar
Sorry to say there is no easy answer 40 years ago I found a very weird "thing" I had Hypo's that went into a Coma Since Then I have been shouted at by Many Doctors, Consultants, etc: So I started my own DIY my Insulin was 8hour so 1 x 8 = 8 2 x 8 = 16 3 x 8 =24
I even got shouted At for that??? So Pen + Paper (I was awake working 17-18 hours Sleeping 5-6 hours) I found I had
17mmol going to Bed 17mmol getting up???? Doctors said (INCREASE YOUR INSULIN AT ONCE) one Consultant said
are YOU trying to Kill Him? I had Tested, Every 2 hours with a Meter that was 12" x 12" x 2" Only to find my Bloods went

17mmol 24:00 10mmol. 02:00 2.8mml @ 04:00. at 09:00 it was (ha ha) 17mmol. It ONLY took another 34 years to get A Pump, So yeah its Hard very & You can find a Unicorn if you look very hard!
To Start your Basal you have to try and get a straight line Use some Low Carb and low Basal for breakfast & Lunch Try NOT TO Bolus If you mess up Bolus then try again, a few days Later and try again! (No One Said it Was Easy)
INSULINMAN still on a Pump

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I think everything has been covered here, it sounds that some people get a choice of what pump they are going to have. I didnt but i like to think that i have a good one the MiniMed 640G with the Contour next Link 2.4 glucose meter. I'm currently on saline and move onto insulin in a weeks time. It will take time to get things under control i realise but it is the way forward and will be. Good bye to high BG's before bed and when i get up in the morning despite pre bed corrections.
No one wants to be on Meds or Machines to stay/improve ones health but its the way forward for many of us and should be used to the full to acheive the best for ones self and in many ways could also improve the lives of those with which we share with.
Regards
Martin

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
The pump can help stop hypos in another way. I have been on a minimed pump for just over a year now and had a lot less problems with hypos. My sugar still often drops suddenly and sometimes for no apparent reason (perhaps trying to fight off a cold before it catches me, or some other stress of which I am unaware). I often don't get warning symptoms until my sugar is 2.2 when it can be a bit late! But there is a fantastic feature on the pump which has saved me from getting into a severe hypo many times - the suspend feature is great, and using that combined with fast acting glucose has stopped my sugar dropping even more. The pump can be much more finely tuned to an individual's insulin requirements than MDI routine and, although I still have a lot to learn about how to use it to its full advantage, it has been a really big help for me.
Hope this is encouraging.
Best wishes
Janet

Reactions: 2 people

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I originally went on a pump to gt my HbA1c down as MDI weren't helping me achieve that. I lost all hypo awareness when I ws pregnant and got a CGM with the pump. It changed my life, I loved my pump anyway but the alarm on the cgm helped me get my hypos under control and I could see exactly where i was going low and act on it. My pump allows me to make a 0.05 change to my basal rates and it was through tweaking these that the hypos stopped. It took almost 5 years for me to get my hypo awareness back but I would never have been able to do this without the pump and cgm.