Fasting with LCHF diet?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only thing with me is my anti inflammatory meds that shouldn't be taken on an empty tummy....

I think I'll give it a go on Monday and see how I get on.

Jason hung says 18/6 is ok as well as diet doc so I think I'm doing it right.....

Need to get weight off and bg. I've had enough!!!

X

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook. Thank you! I saw Jason on diet doc and he was interesting although didn't have enough detail for me to start it so I'll go back and google him.

What I'm thinking is this:
Mon to fri stop eating at 7pm and skip breakfast but have coffee with double cream. Eat at 12.45 a normal low carb meal then nothing again till dinner.

Would that work? Is that an example of a diabetic intermittent fast?

I used to be really confident with dieting but now feel the pressure to get it right. I've had days where I've unintentionally fasted by missing breakfast so I know I can do it but wonder if doing that daily is too much? If it's not, it's save me a load of hassle with breakfast solutions!

Thanks
D x

You are describing almost exactly what I do, on a daily basis. Gives me great control over bg.

I have done quite a lot of fasting in the past, all pre diabetes. 7 day total fasting. Fruit fasts of 1-3 days. Intermittent fasting. Weekends of protein only...

It taught me a lot - mainly that total fasting longer is disastrous for me - possibly because I also have reactive hypoglycaemia. I am ok for short periods, overnight and part of the morning, but after that I crash into a hypo, especially if not resting.

My solution is to fat fast, Mon-Fri, from about 8pm to about 1pm the following afternoon. The only thing I 'eat' during the gap is cream in my coffee and tea, herb teas, water and occasionally a low carb hot choc (but only if I have hunger pangs at bedtime preventing sleep).

I'm not doing it for weight loss, so do not portion control the cream :wacky: and it works like a charm for bg control.

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you!!

I'm going to try it and see what happens. Bg is all over the place at the mo - could be past behaviour or slightly outdated strips (I think it's the first reason) so I need to do whatever I can to get it down. On the normal 5:2 diet you are allowed 500cals during a fast so I guess coffee with cream is ok.

I may start a separate thread with my bg etc so I stay on track and an accountable.

In fact, I think I'll go do that now ;)

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Chook. Thank you! I saw Jason on diet doc and he was interesting although didn't have enough detail for me to start it so I'll go back and google him.

What I'm thinking is this:
Mon to fri stop eating at 7pm and skip breakfast but have coffee with double cream. Eat at 12.45 a normal low carb meal then nothing again till dinner.

Would that work? Is that an example of a diabetic intermittent fast?

I used to be really confident with dieting but now feel the pressure to get it right. I've had days where I've unintentionally fasted by missing breakfast so I know I can do it but wonder if doing that daily is too much? If it's not, it's save me a load of hassle with breakfast solutions!

Thanks
D x
Deb, I too am looking into into intermittent fasting as a way of regaining control of my basal metabolism which has been lowered by years of dieting. I highly recommend Dr. Fung's new book, The Obesity Code , which is very well written, clean and lucid prose. Funny too.
You can also go on his clinic website, Intensive Dietary Treatment, and read a huge assortment of his posts over the last three years, which eventually became the book. Fasting is also explained there, and I think his explanation of what fasting does and how your body responds is the best I have read anywhere. Best of luck trying the fasting. Dr. F suggest that you start by 16 hour fast, and that it's OK to skip breakfast! Keep us posted

Worrierfrog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do I do fasting if my only highs are wake up ones? I can wake up with bs in the 7s and after I have a boiled egg and coffee it drops. If otoh I don't eat it will keep going up! And worse if I exercise!
I eat very little carbs. A1c has dropped ...but I still battle to lose weight. No meds.
I'd love to fast but scared because morning numbers already too high and skew a1c
Anyone???

Sent from my SM-N910V using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do I do fasting if my only highs are wake up ones? I can wake up with bs in the 7s and after I have a boiled egg and coffee it drops. If otoh I don't eat it will keep going up! And worse if I exercise!
I eat very little carbs. A1c has dropped ...but I still battle to lose weight. No meds.
I'd love to fast but scared because morning numbers already too high and skew a1c
Anyone???

I'm the same - I always eat breakfast, but restrict the remainder of my eating to an 8 hour window on most days - I also find I sleep better on an empty stomach. Seems to work for me.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
Fasting will not raise blood sugar levels. Please see dr. Jason Fung website for more information about this. Experiment. Fast for longer and 24 hours say perhaps 36 hours and see what effect this has on the dawn phenomenon. For most people fasting blood sugar levels are reduced.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
For those of us who worry about losing muscle mass as a result of fasting please remember that by fasting we allow our body to burn the fat that we have stored. We do not lose muscle mass when we fast. We lose fat.

Worrierfrog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thinking..when I eat typical boiled egg and coffee or tea at 7am and then if I don't eat ..by late afternoon..I feel weird...shaky..anxiety and bs will be around 5ish...then dinner of Fish or chicken and vegetable and I feel ok again.
How could I not eat?? Would crummy feeling go away with fasting?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thinking..when I eat typical boiled egg and coffee or tea at 7am and then if I don't eat ..by late afternoon..I feel weird...shaky..anxiety and bs will be around 5ish...then dinner of Fish or chicken and vegetable and I feel ok again.

I've been doing 24 hour fasts on alternate days for just under a month now and had some great results. My morning bg is down from 6/7s to mid 5s (although I'd like it to go down) and I've lost 3kg of pure body fat so I can say it works!

It's been fairly easy to do - and I love eating! Yesterday was my 11th fast and was so easy! I had one hunger pang at 1pm and it vanished after a glug of water. I don't feel dizzy or lightheaded and my body has adapted itself to not pester me while fasting.

Believe me - if I can do it, anyone can!

I initially tried 18/6 but that did nothing for me and I'd agree that one has to fast for longer periods of time to help reduce the background insulin that's always hanging around.

It's also made me shift my thinking and I'm even more resilient around temptation which is the best result for me. Also, my life is pretty stressful and historically I've used food for comfort but IF has stopped this for me. Yes I get tempted at times but I stay on track and find another way to cope.

I say try it for two weeks and see. It's good!

X

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

You have to be careful. Ignoring a hypo increases your risk of losing your hypo awareness. Which is a worse problem.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely readings in the 5s is not a hypo?! Sounds to me like its psychological. I used to feel faint and would check bg only to discover a normal reading so would have a drink and carry on feeling fine.

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF