Type 2 Sugar

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be better if you didn't.. why do you feel you need to?
As i'm sure you know most of us avoid carbs not just sugar to help to control our blood sugar levels.
You're not being a pain so ask away.
Regards
Mark

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No one is ever a pain @Debbie gott - ask away as @bulkbiker says.

Consuming sugar will mess up your BG levels. I've found over time, and it didn't take too long, I can live without the sugar I previously consumed. I don't really miss desserts as my BG is on a level so I feel better.

Please don't feel alone, there are many people here to help you.

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You are not alone @debbie got, on this forum we are all in a similar position. Sugar (and carbs) isn't good for us. I have got used to doing without it, and am fine with using sweeteners instead now.

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debbie gott not only are you not Spain, but you are probably asking all the questions I asked when I was diagnosed. The people here were wonderful and answered all my questions and helped me come to terms with being a diabetic. Two months on and my BG levels are looking pretty good, I am eating healthier ... and I am happy.

You ask all your questions, you have a right to know and there are people here who will have the answers.

As for the sugar bit .. well my experience has been that it's a nonstarter. However there are plenty of alternatives - Stevia being only one.

Welcome aboard our happy band.

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I do like sugar in a coffee and i do drink a lot of it
I drink a lot of coffee and tea, and used to have two sugars in them, but now I use sweeteners like Truvia. Does taste a bit different, but I have got used to it and find that if I do use sugar now it tastes too sweet. Your taste buds will adapt.

Reactions: 3 people

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Giving up sugar in your tea/coffee is just something you should do, it takes a week or so, but then you're over it and that's it. It's far better to get used to it than try sweeteners, most of which add a weird taste. I did this when I was about 20 just because I was poor and was a way to save money, but it's better for your diabetes, your teeth and your overall health.

Also, there's a school of thought that says the less sweet stuff you have (sugar or sweeteners) the less you'll want it.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You will find that giving up sugar in tea or coffee is the best thing you can do for your own health. After a while you will find that tea/coffee taste so much better without the sweetness. You actually taste the coffee and not the sugar. Do please give it a try, and you will not regret it.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I used to take two sugars in tea and coffee - long before becoming type 2 diabetic I had got down to just one sugar in tea, it is something I do miss and I do add a tiny bit of stevia/truvia to a cup of tea just to take off the no sugar taste - I drink less tea now as I do not enjoy it as much but make up for it with coffee as can tolerate that without sugar and without sweetener.
It does get easier and if you do revert back to sugar it will taste so sweet and not like you remember it.
You can do it - it will make a huge difference - if you do use the stevia or truvia then remember it is 3 times sweeter than sugar so use it very sparingly.

Welcome and do ask questions - so many people have helped me and continue to help me on this forum - never feel like you cannot ask.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would recommend weening yourself off sugar in coffee. I was an addict for the stuff once and as folks have noted, it does not take long to get used to it... and with time you will find that your sense of sweet becomes more sensitive.. I find tomatoes too sweet now!
Wish you well with this as a sweet tooth and DB is not a good mix.
Welcome to these parts.
Hj

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am used to coffee without sugar now. You can have cream instead of milk which is nice! I am new to this and I have had more questions answered here than anywhere. Just ask. I have found that somebody has an answer or suggestions. Welcome the world of D's!?!?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just about to say you can add double cream to your coffee, which will give it some sweetness, and it is delicious.

Ask whatever questions you like, and try to take the answers on board. :)

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't take sugar in tea and use sweeteners in coffee, give it a try.

Al44

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Debbie and welcome. Giving up sugar is excellent advice, if you can.

Unfortunately I love espresso coffee, and while others can & do drink it without sugar, I can't:
I need two cubes of sugar, each of 4 grams; cubes/lumps because they're easier for precise control.
However, I limit myself to one espresso a day, morning usually.
If I feel like another coffee, mid-morning or later, I'll have a cappuccino, with just one cube sugar.

Whenever I've given up sugar in coffee, even in instant coffee, I end up giving up coffee. Even taken with milk or cream.
Once I persevered without sugar in coffee and tea for 6 weeks, honestly, without sugar it tasted as disgusting on the 42nd day as it did on the first day. Yet people here get used to no sugar in a few days: guess we're all different! Or I'm particularly addicted.

As for tea, I can drink it without sugar, but don't like it; it's no coincidence I've almost given up tea altogether.

Occasionally I worry about putting sugar in my espresso and instead use xylitol for a few days; I find xylitol acceptable while ALL other sweeteners are nauseating (especially "fashionable" stevia) and more disgusting than espresso without sugar.

But I suspect overuse of xylitol can lead to diarrhoea. Metformin does too, I tried the slow/prolonged release version, my fasting blood glucose level crept up and the diarrhoea reduced but didn't disappear, so I returned to ordinary Metformin.

Obviously sugar is not to be recommended to diabetics, and I'm not doing that, but I find rice, bread, potato, pasta (all the usual other suspects) and even whey protein spikes my blood glucose more than sugar.

FYI, I've been type 2 for 10 years, and on Metformin 500mg for 7 years.

Sorry, this has turned out longer than intended, best wishes, Aldo.

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people looking down at me as if wondering why l am in a wheel chair (I am in a high risk of falling
Should diabetics not have sugar at all? I'm still very confused and feel very alone with this diagnosis. I am sorry to be a pain

Sent from my 5017X using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Hi like you l am new to the forum but thought l would share this.
Many years before l was diagnosed with type 2, l used to have 2 heaped teaspoons of sugar in tea and 3 on coffee and loads on my cereal. I realised this was useless especially as l was starting a diet so l stopped sugar altogether and l didn't like the taste of sweeteners. I carried on for a month and told myself the drinks and cereal tasted disgusting. One morning l decided to enjoy just 1 breakfast. I had half a spoon of sugar in my tea and on my cereal. I couldn't believe it, it tasted awful. I realised my mind was telling me it was horrible. That was the end of that. Ever since then just the slightest grain and l can taste, it feels like l am drinking syrup, so it just shows your taste buds can change.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to love eating chocolates and crave for them, must have a piece after every meal. Not anymore. I find them too sweet now. The only sweet stuff I eat are dates, just a couple.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I use this stuff from Russia that is not normally sold in the US. It's inevitable that you are ging to have something in a chocolate 80% and you have to be wary that some fake sugars are harmful. The blue stuff is particularly difficult because it can cause eye problems especially in sunlight, the pink stuff if you take something like 500X the normal daily amount might cause stomach cancer, the yellow stuff in one study cuased depression in 40% of the women who used it for daily and baking use,

Sorry, what are the blue, yellow and pink stuffs you refer to here? And can you provide links to the research that you have mentioned above? Scaremongering stuff about cancer seems to be everywhere and I would definitely like to read that one (but why would anyone take 500 times the normal amount? Is that even possible?)