Rice replacement

P

paula.nolan42

I tried the Bare Naked Noodles from Holland & Barrett this evening with my roast/steam green veg - have to say I thought it was great - nice to have a noodle option - might try a spaghetti style dish soon

I have gotten the rice to try also but will wait until the weekend to try

Reactions: 2 people

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My problem with cauliflower rice is that it doesn't soak up the juices like normal rice or mashed potatoes does - I need something that does that for many of my meals - maybe roasting it would be the answer. Quinoa doesn't look like it's very low carb, at 39g per 100g - rice is better than that.

It isn't low in carbs but apparently it is a lot slower in releasing them into the bloodstream. A few weeks ago I took about 100 grms of them along with pork slices and vegetables and I was under 7 after testing. A week later 200grms and corned beef and vegetables didn't spike me much to my surprise.

Lizj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's worth remembering that not all carbs are the same. If I eat white bread, white rice etc my sugars rocket. If I eat chick peas, beans, nuts etc I get little or no increase. I exercise a lot and I need some carbs - I am losing weight at a steady rate but while I am happy to lose fat, I resent losing muscle which I need!

Lizj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My problem with cauliflower rice is that it doesn't soak up the juices like normal rice or mashed potatoes does - I need something that does that for many of my meals - maybe roasting it would be the answer. Quinoa doesn't look like it's very low carb, at 39g per 100g - rice is better than that.
Quinoa is very different to white rice though, and is unlikely to push your sugars up in the same way. It's also full of protein and amino acids.

Lizj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It isn't low in carbs but apparently it is a lot slower in releasing them into the bloodstream. A few weeks ago I took about 100 grms of them along with pork slices and vegetables and I was under 7 after testing. A week later 200grms and corned beef and vegetables didn't spike me much to my surprise.
Quinoa is excellent. Never pushes my sugars up.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
So, had spag bol for tea last night, but with spring greens instead of spaghetti, it was really great and easier to eat to boot, as cabbage sticks to your fork better than spaghetti.