Ketone testing

jords

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just wandering what meters everybody uses to test there ketones? I currently use the Freestyle optium neo, but after having it for years the screen is starting to die on me so need to get a new one as I can't test my bloods on my usual glucose meter. If there any meter you particularly like and would recommend I would be v grateful

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ring Abbott up and they'll send you out a replacement meter free of charge.

I use the GlucoMen LX Plus for ketone testing, don't use it for bg testing so can't really comment on the accuracy.

Nat_Ryan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey. I also use a FreeStyle Optium Neo and found it to be the best for me. If your meter is run down and you still like that model you can also get another one from your doctor on prescription if you can prove you need a new one.

Hope I've helped.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just Googled "freetime optium neo" and the Abbott site offers you a free* meter but doesn't say anything about ketone testing (at first look).

*haven't looked to see what the catch is with the asterisk

The catch is that it is free for insulin users only.

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ring Abbott up and they'll send you out a replacement meter free of charge.

I use the GlucoMen LX Plus for ketone testing, don't use it for bg testing so can't really comment on the accuracy.

Got any tips on where to get the ketone strips from? They seem horrendously expensive but I quite fancy testing my ketone levels to see if I am properly ketogenic.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Got any tips on where to get the ketone strips from? They seem horrendously expensive but I quite fancy testing my ketone levels to see if I am properly ketogenic.

I get mine on prescription so unsure, maybe have a look on Amazon or ebay.

They are extremely expensive for what they are, but thankfully I don't have to test my ketones that often so don't request them that often.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I normally get them from ebay - still expensive but about half the price of getting them from a chemist.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I normally get them from ebay - still expensive but about half the price of getting them from a chemist.
Just ordered some from amazon at £1.85 per strip..found another site with them at £4.65 each!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Reading the reviews on Amazon there are a couple of down sides listed:

(1) Each testing strip comes individually foil wrapped which makes testing a chore

(2) The meter requires a large blood sample (ouch). I used the Freestyle Freedom Lite which works with a very small blood sample so I'm not keen on having to produce more blood - being a major wuss at the best of times.

Are these comments from Amazon accurate, and is there a better alternative meter?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Just bought the OnCall Dual (BG & Ketones), from Amazon, as I've been relying on sticks which are very poor.

Will be interesting to see the ketone levels comparing fasting state and none fasting state.

Hoping in fasting state I am over 1.0-3.0 and .6 when not fasting.

We'll see:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
(1) Each testing strip comes individually foil wrapped which makes testing a chore

The foil wrapped strips can also be a bonus,if you purchase them in a pot of 10 they have to be used up 6 months from the opening date, if you don't test for ketones that often it can be a quite a waste.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just bought the OnCall Dual (BG & Ketones), from Amazon, as I've been relying on sticks which are very poor.

Will be interesting to see the ketone levels comparing fasting state and none fasting state.

Hoping in fasting state I am over 1.0-3.0 and .6 when not fasting.

We'll see:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
Didnt see that one .. let us know how it works..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading the reviews on Amazon there are a couple of down sides listed:

(2) The meter requires a large blood sample (ouch). I used the Freestyle Freedom Lite which works with a very small blood sample so I'm not keen on having to produce more blood - being a major wuss at the best of times.

Are these comments from Amazon accurate, and is there a better alternative meter?
Well the meter you use doesn't test ketones does it? which is kind of the point.. I thought there were only 2 but it seems that Mr Internet Shopping @KevinPotts has found a third (just after I had ordered one of the two) . Will wait and see what happens when mine arrives. It's more for curiosity than health as I think I am in ketosis most of the time but wanted to be sure so the astronomical cost of the strips won't be too onerous. I will only test every other day or something like that.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's more for curiosity than health as I think I am in ketosis most of the time but wanted to be sure so the astronomical cost of the strips won't be too onerous. I will only test every other day or something like that.
If you only want to check for being in ketosis then Ketostix would suffice - it's just that they are not very accurate. I use them as a cheaper guide and only resort to blood ketone testing if I am very high on the ketostix or feel I want to do a spot check.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean ketone strips for the Glucomen LX plus? I have spares. I can send you a pack in the post if you like?!
That's very kind but I've just ordered a meter and strips so should be fine for the moment. I won;t be testing too often as it's more for my own interest than anything else.