Fruit And Nuts Fight Off T2 Claims Harvard School of Public Health

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Reactions: 2 people

fobbletops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
http://www.medicaldaily.com/plant-based-diet-type-2-diabetes-prevention-389522#.V2Bp_rDPtxk.gmail

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

14/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 7lbs, waist 30". Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.
Fantastic. I also am Type2 with great success on low carb and fasting. HBA1C 6.3 (45Mmol)this week. BSL's down from 8-13 to 5.3-7.2
Need to work on my cholesterol though. I went off all meds 21 days before this testing and do not have to start taking my diabetic medicine(Hooray) but am now on Ezetrol only for cholesterol. I was on Lipidil and Ezetrol as well as Jardiance and Gliclazide.. Happy as a pig in mud.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fantastic. I also am Type2 with great success on low carb and fasting. HBA1C 6.3 (45Mmol)this week. BSL's down from 8-13 to 5.3-7.2
Need to work on my cholesterol though. I went off all meds 21 days before this testing and do not have to start taking my diabetic medicine(Hooray) but am now on Ezetrol only for cholesterol. I was on Lipidil and Ezetrol as well as Jardiance and Gliclazide.. Happy as a pig in mud.

Great stuff:)

You have every prospect of seeing progress with your cholesterol.

As my signature shows in under 3 months I am making significant progress with HDL up, LDL down, Trigs downs...keep going and yours is likely to go the same way:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

fobbletops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great stuff:)

You have every prospect of seeing progress with your cholesterol.

As my signature shows in under 3 months I am making significant progress with HDL up, LDL down, Trigs downs...keep going and yours is likely to go the same way:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app
Thank you. Will do.

Teresa9584

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Vigorous exercise and chillies!
Hi. I'm just about to start taking Jardiance in an effort to assist with my weight. Can I ask how you found it? Did you have any side effects? Thanks,

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. I'm just about to start taking Jardiance in an effort to assist with my weight. Can I ask how you found it? Did you have any side effects? Thanks,

What is Jardiance and what does it do?

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

Teresa9584

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What is Jardiance and what does it do?

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.
Hi. Jardiance is a diabetes drug which I understand helps with weight management whilst reducing blood sugar levels. I'm hoping to go on to this in the next couple of days as I'm really struggling with my weight due to eating large portions. If I don't eat sufficient portions I get very light headed and dysfunctional and eating is the only way I can settle these symptoms. Hope Jardiance helps!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. Jardiance is a diabetes drug which I understand helps with weight management whilst reducing blood sugar levels. I'm hoping to go on to this in the next couple of days as I'm really struggling with my weight due to eating large portions. If I don't eat sufficient portions I get very light headed and dysfunctional and eating is the only way I can settle these symptoms. Hope Jardiance helps!

Thanks Teresa, I appreciate you helping this newbie understand:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

fobbletops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Teresa.Jardiance is a medication that inhibits the reabsorption of glucose from the kidneys back to our bodies for use in energy production.Therefote it directs the sugar out of our bodies via the bladder.You need to be vigilant for Urinary tract infections as the high sugar urine is a great breeding environment for bacteria.Just be careful with hygiene.I have not had any problems in 12months.Does help with weight loss and does bring down sugar levels.It is a sodium glucose co transporter2 that inhibits the protein that usually redirects the sugar back to our bodies.

Teresa9584

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Teresa.Jardiance is a medication that inhibits the reabsorption of glucose from the kidneys back to our bodies for use in energy production.Therefote it directs the sugar out of our bodies via the bladder.You need to be vigilant for Urinary tract infections as the high sugar urine is a great breeding environment for bacteria.Just be careful with hygiene.I have not had any problems in 12months.Does help with weight loss and does bring down sugar levels.It is a sodium glucose co transporter2 that inhibits the protein that usually redirects the sugar back to our bodies.
Thank you fobbletops, very much for the information. I've been on this for a few days and have already seen a great improvement in my BS readings and have dropped 3lbs in weight in 5 days. No adverse stuff as yet but I know it's early days. Fingers crossed all goes well. Again, thank you for the info.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
http://www.medicaldaily.com/plant-based-diet-type-2-diabetes-prevention-389522#.V2Bp_rDPtxk.gmail

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

14/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 7lbs, waist 30". Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

The researchers should have compared their all plant diet with an all meat diet to lend some credibility to their claim.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The researchers should have compared their all plant diet with an all meat diet to lend some credibility to their claim.

"...the researchers gave plant foods higher scores and animal foods lower scores."

The researchers appeared to have looked for their results from the beginning, and this study only looked at the risk for an onset of Type 2. I agree with you, the assumptions for such a study should include the possibility that meat can be healthy.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
"...the researchers gave plant foods higher scores and animal foods lower scores."

The researchers appeared to have looked for their results from the beginning, and this study only looked at the risk for an onset of Type 2. I agree with you, the assumptions for such a study should include the possibility that meat can be healthy.

Well spotted... Makes the basis of the study look dubious:)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Ok, having read the article now, the conclusion should have been avoiding refined carbs, starchy veg, and sugar reduces your chance of getting type regardless of your level of meat intake.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I cannot believe that study.
I've eaten well all my life. My father was on a very high wage. The only chief engineer for commercial in the north-east for british gas.
For a north-east family growing up after the thatcher cuts, I felt very privileged.
My diet was filled with fish and seafood and many meats, daily. I ate mixed nuts from a young age and various fruits. My diet lacked in nothing, maybe only in control.
Well balanced meals and I was only one chubby with constant thrush. Thirst and stressed. I found sitting stressful, cross legged.
I'd be more inclined to blame stress than diet.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot believe that study.
I've eaten well all my life. My father was on a very high wage. The only chief engineer for commercial in the north-east for british gas.
For a north-east family growing up after the thatcher cuts, I felt very privileged.
My diet was filled with fish and seafood and many meats, daily. I ate mixed nuts from a young age and various fruits. My diet lacked in nothing, maybe only in control.
Well balanced meals and I was only one chubby with constant thrush. Thirst and stressed. I found sitting stressful, cross legged.
I'd be more inclined to blame stress than diet.

I believe you :) I understand that there are factors that increase the risk of diabetes type 2, and, for me, I am sure genetics play a role. Myself, I grew up with a lot of home-cooked food, but with too many carbs, and after moving out I got on the low-fat band-wagon abusing my metabolism with large pasta portions too many times. Then again, my cravings and my blood sugar issues were certainly linked. I have always had the sense of low blood sugar, with migraines and intense hunger pangs followed by overeating if I missed a meal. Add stress to the equation, and I can see how my pancreas suffered.

Back to the study; before diagnosis I had already made an effort to eat healthier. I often had vegan meals, with quinoa, buckwheat, roasted organic root veggies, etc. By the time my HbA1c was at its highest, I was not eating processed foods, no cakes, sweets, hardly any fruits, etc. It did not help.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I believe you :) I understand that there are factors that increase the risk of diabetes type 2, and, for me, I am sure genetics play a role. Myself, I grew up with a lot of home-cooked food, but with too many carbs, and after moving out I got on the low-fat band-wagon abusing my metabolism with large pasta portions too many times. Then again, my cravings and my blood sugar issues were certainly linked. I have always had the sense of low blood sugar, with migraines and intense hunger pangs followed by overeating if I missed a meal. Add stress to the equation, and I can see how my pancreas suffered.

Back to the study; before diagnosis I had already made an effort to eat healthier. I often had vegan meals, with quinoa, buckwheat, roasted organic root veggies, etc. By the time my HbA1c was at its highest, I was not eating processed foods, no cakes, sweets, hardly any fruits, etc. It did not help.

Wow...that feels like an anomaly based on my personal experience. Just does to show we are all unique:)

Did you get to the bottom of what was going on and how did you eventually get your A1C under control or is it still a challenge?

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow...that feels like an anomaly based on my personal experience. Just does to show we are all unique:)

Did you get to the bottom of what was going on and how did you eventually get your A1C under control or is it still a challenge?

I had to cut down on the carbs and up my exercise, and my blood sugars have been okay since :) I was eating more meat at first, but now I eat smaller portions of different protein foods, and much more fat, e.g. olive and coconut oil and butter.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I had to cut down on the carbs and up my exercise, and my blood sugars have been okay since :) I was eating more meat at first, but now I eat smaller portions of different protein foods, and much more fat, e.g. olive and coconut oil and butter.

Ahhh I see...so a little bit of an adverse reaction to too much protein which would have been converted into glucose as well as dropping the carbs and upping the exercise.

I had that to start with as I struggled to get the balance right:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum