New member and need advice on bg/HbA1c measurements

Bud_-_Hess

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm new here, so I don't really know yet how to ask questions and recieve answers.Anyway I'll ask here and see if I get an answer. I'm confused about the Hba1c numbers you're posting .I was diagnosed as a beginning stage diabetic 6 months ago. I just recently had blood tests done as part of my regular check ups, and the report lists my HbA1c as high, at 6.3, against a normal range of 4.8 to 5.9 . So when I see numbers like 53 I think you must be using different metrics. I live in Greece,so maybe Europe uses a different scale than you do.Can someone explain to me the difference? Thank you

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We're basically a UK based site so we use UK units which will sometimes be different to those used elsewhere. Our main diabetes.co.uk site has various conversion functions that you can use to see how the different units compare; this is you'll need for the different HbA1c units, but there's al list of others on the RHS of the page: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

Confusing isn't it!

Robbity

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Kalispera @Bud_-_Hess kai xero poli.

Just different measurement scales and the link provided by @Robbity should help you. How wonderful to be living in Greece, I cannot wait to visit in August and eat my two favourite dishes ever, Fassolakia and Xoriatiki, both marvelously low carb.