X-Pert Course - positive thread

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I booked onto a local x-pert course with some misgivings, having read the experiences of some of the members of this site and having myself been reasonably successful with a LCHF type diet. I was expecting regressive advice.

However, one of the first things that the leaders of the course said was "you know more about your diabetes than anyone else."

The general discussion on the first week got on to metering. The nurse was a little sceptical of those who brought 'a list of numbers' but fully accepted that eating to the meter, and checking the impact of certain foods on blood glucose was helpful to those who chose to do it. One page of the booklet explains how to do this.

The leaders also recognised that NICE guidelines are outdated but said it probably takes 17 years for that body to make changes!

The Course Handbook is Version 11 and contains details of low fat diets, low and very low carb diets, Mediterranean and intermittent fasting (5:2), and finally 500 cal deficit. It gives an explanation of each and its pros and cons.

There seems to be a recognition that different people need different approaches. It is a little simplistic on one level, but it would seem that some people on the course don't have that understanding yet and subscribe to definitely outmoded ideas and myths, so perhaps it's necessary to start at that level.

I'm pleased, and finding it a useful boost to motivation.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's brilliant that you got the New version of the course!

It is my understanding that the trainers are sent for refresher courses periodically, so that over time the new lower carb thinking will be rolling out... But it depends on a few things
- the willingness of the budget holder to send their staff for the refresher
- the openness of the trainee to take on ideas that have been heretical for so long
- and the willingness of the local health mindset to allow the new ideas to be disseminated.

Am so glad that some of the info it getting through to the course goers!

Thank you for posting this. Made my day :D

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like the version of the Desmond course I went on many years ago, we discussed testing, and those that had a list of readings. (They didn't do anything with the readings, but they took them religiously).
We went through various diets and food substitutions, but the hardest part was getting anyone to accept change anyway.
Although the thrust probably was more lower calorie and mediterranean, and less saturated fats.

Good to see them including the rest now.

Reactions: 2 people

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although the thrust probably was more lower calorie and mediterranean, and less saturated fats.

Good to see them including the rest now.

There is also a recognition of the value of different fats, with only trans fats being 'harmful'.