Deeply Concerned

lucullus

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am on a 5:2 diet. Eating 650 calories 2 days at 1600-1800 hundred the other days. I started about 6 days ago. At first my blood sugars dropped from 6-7 fasting. But in the last two days have soared to 8.2. Each day I have been walking about 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs and exercising in the gym for an hour on on my bike for about an hour. My BMI is approx 27 and I have body fat around 20%. My sedentary calorie requirement is between 2300-2600. The diet I have is low carb. I am concerned that my blood sugar isn't dropping . Last three days fasting level has gone from 6.3 to 7.3 to 8.2. I am concerned there is something much more serious than diabetes wrong with me such as pancreatic cancer. Could anyone tell me if on a low carb diet their blood sugars rose in the first few weeks???

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some people on low carb diets have substituted their lack of carbs for an increased intake of protein. Protein can have an effect on BGL but as a pre-diabetic I wouldn't imagine this would be the case.

Your liver can produce a hormone called glycogen as a source of fuel when you have little carbohydrates in your system to covert to glucose. This can, and does, increase BGL readings for many people.

Grant

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some people on low carb diets have substituted their lack of carbs for an increased intake of protein. Protein can have an effect on BGL but as a pre-diabetic I wouldn't imagine this would be the case.

Your liver can produce a hormone called glycogen as a source of fuel when you have little carbohydrates in your system to covert to glucose. This can, and does, increase BGL readings for many people.

Grant
What I think Grant is decribing is that at the start of an LC diet, the reduction in carbs leads to your body starting to use already stored glucose (with water) and this will act to reduce body fat stores, and hence lose weight. While you are in this mode, the liver will tend to provide much of this 'stored glucose' from the liver by placing it into the blood (i.e. reverse storage). As your glucogen stores become depleted this effect will also become less obvious, and things should settle down

lucullus

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks very much guys. I am great fun for your input, I hope that this is the case. I was tested a few weeks ago for my adiponectin levels and they where quite low. low adiponectin is associated with type2 diabetes and also atherosclerosis and many cancers. My family has a history of death from cancer at an early age. So I am a bit concerned. However I think my calorie intake the last two days has been around 2400 and my calorie use 8800 maybe that has something to do with it. I am hoping that I have a fatty liver which is dumping glycogen.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much guys. I am great fun for your input, I hope that this is the case. I was tested a few weeks ago for my adiponectin levels and they where quite low. low adiponectin is associated with type2 diabetes and also atherosclerosis and many cancers. My family has a history of death from cancer at an early age. So I am a bit concerned. However I think my calorie intake the last two days has been around 2400 and my calorie use 8800 maybe that has something to do with it. I am hoping that I have a fatty liver which is dumping glycogen.
Also whilst not ideal 8.2 isn't really "soaring" especially not after only 6 days of dietary change. I was in the 8's and 9's a couple of weeks into my Low Carb diet don't worry and give it a chance. The lower your carb intake the better your bloods will get over time. Give it a chance.

lucullus

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Also whilst not ideal 8.2 isn't really "soaring" especially not after only 6 days of dietary change. I was in the 8's and 9's a couple of weeks into my Low Carb diet don't worry and give it a chance. The lower your carb intake the better your bloods will get over time. Give it a chance.
Thanks bulk biker. Could you tell me where ur bloods lower when u started the diet and they rose during the first part of the diet?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks bulk biker. Could you tell me where ur bloods lower when u started the diet and they rose during the first part of the diet?
Hi I was diagnosed and of October 2015 FBG tested at the docs was 10.1 I then started LCHF almost immediately but didn't get my code free until 21 nov so started testing then. During the discovery phase when I found what raised my BS levels I had a few 9's and some 8's. Once I had removed the foods that caused the spikes I start getting more 6's and 7's.
By January 2016 I was mainly in the 6's with a few 5's (only one over 8 after battered squid from a chinese takeaway).
I am now usually in the 5's with occasional 4's usually when fasting. FBG were the last things to come down for the past month they have been 6 or below. Hope that helps.
Regards
Mark

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry just understood your question... They were high to start then started to come down after a month or so.

Madame_Duke

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bossy people.

Grant

Is the production of glycogen a natural phenomenon and is it ongoing, can it be balanced ?

lucullus

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Does the production of glycogen from the liver in the early phases of LOw carb diet usually lead to a spike in blood sugars?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is the production of glycogen a natural phenomenon and is it ongoing, can it be balanced ?
Yes it is a natural process. It is believed that once your glycogen stores have been depleted (i.e. the liver has none left), then things will level off and so will BGL.

I cannot vouch for this though as I've never done it, but I've read many times that this is the case. People who are using the LCHF dietary approach will be able to tell you whether this is the case or not.

Grant

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does the production of glycogen from the liver in the early phases of LOw carb diet usually lead to a spike in blood sugars?

Glycogen could result in a spike in BGL, yes.

Grant

Last edited by a moderator:

lucullus

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes it is a natural process. It is believed that once your glycogen stores have been depleted (i.e. the liver has none left), then things will level off and so will BGL.

I cannot vouch for this though as I've never done it, but I've read many times that this is the case. People who are using the LCHF dietary approach will be able to tell you whether this is the case or not.

Grant
thanks Grant