Diagnosed as Type 1 - now tablets only

Balde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello guys I've just reversed from type one to type 2 diabetes any advice from anyone would be much appreciated thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello guys I've just reversed from type one to type 2 diabetes any advice from anyone would be much appreciated thanks.

Welcome @Balde :)

Were you wrongly diagnosed or have you been able to come off insulin temporarily?

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry mate, you can't reverse type 1. You're maybe in the honeymoon phase. Keep checking those numbers.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Balde would you be able to explain a bit more what you mean?

Type 1 diabetes is an incurable autoimmune disease and I'm afraid it cannot be reversed.

Perhaps you were misdiagnosed as type 1 when you are in fact type 2 and able to be treated with oral medication alone? Or perhaps you are LADA/1.5 and able to come off insulin temporarily because you are honeymooning?

Balde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well guys I had been on insulin for at least 2 years. I'm not denying the fact that it could be misdiagnosis because everything is possible but I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and I was on Insulin at first I used to take INSULATARD after breakfast and dinner And ACTRAPID after lunch. After a while I shifted from INSULATARD TO MIXTARD. And that went on for like 2years and what happened is that I am Muslim and we Muslims have a Fasting month of which my doctor told me I cannot fast. However, I tried to actually fast and at that moment I had no insulin left in my fridge for the whole month I fasted my BG were normal after the month i got back to my usual diet and still the readings were considerably good compare to normal readings of type 1 diabetes who did not take shots for that long. That's when I decided to go see my doctor and explain to him about it and I asked for a blood test and once the results were he was also surprised and that's when he put me on Meds and so so good. By the way thanks for the alert I will keep on track of the readings incase of any change so that am aware of it.

Now it's Ramadan and I am fasting with no problem again.

Balde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome @Balde :)

Were you wrongly diagnosed or have you been able to come off insulin temporarily?

I have been Off insulin for the past 6 months and so far things are well. But I still keep tracking my Gulcose levels in case of any change

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been Off insulin for the past 6 months and so far things are well. But I still keep tracking my Gulcose levels in case of any change

So it sounds like you are having a 'honeymoon period'? This is quite common with Type 1, and some people do manage to come off insulin for a while.

Unfortunately, if that's the case, it doesn't mean you've changed to Type 2.

You may want to look at the LADA section here - LADA is also known as Late Onset Type 1. Some people there are managing without insulin for the moment.

Eventually all Type 1s will need insulin as their remaining islet cells stop working.

Enjoy this 'honeymoon' while you can, and enjoy the forum :)

If it does turn out you were misdiagnosed, then there are lots of friendly Type 2s here and a Type 2 section : )

Edited to ask - was the blood test your doctor did a GAD test (that looks for evidence of an attack on your pancreas by your own immune system?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Balde,

Though the rule of thumb is established type one diabetes means insulin for life.
I'll tag a T1 that managed to come off insulin that may give some insight to your query... @June_C

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi Balde,

As @Jaylee has mentioned I'm a T1 no longer on insulin. I have two opinions as to what has happened to me.

Either I was mis-diagnosed and I'm in fact T2 or I'm T1 and in the honeymoon phase. I was on mixed insulin for 10 months, but had to keep lowering the units as I was getting hypos.

Now I control my BG levels by a LCMF diet and no medication. What my DN is going to make of me at my annual review next month is going to be interesting :)

Balde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Balde,

As @Jaylee has mentioned I'm a T1 no longer on insulin. I have two opinions as to what has happened to me.

Either I was mis-diagnosed and I'm in fact T2 or I'm T1 and in the honeymoon phase. I was on mixed insulin for 10 months, but had to keep lowering the units as I was getting hypos.

Now I control my BG levels by a LCMF diet and no medication. What my DN is going to make of me at my annual review next month is going to be interesting :)

Hello thanks for getting in touch that's very interesting to hear well I had been on mixed insulin for 2 years before shifting to pills tho cause unlike you am on pills now which seem to be perfectly working as for now cause my readings are good. Am taking KOMBIGLYZE XR ( saxagliptin and Metformatin HCI extend-release) 2.5mg and I am taking two in after breakfast and that's all.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I leaning towards being T1 in the honeymoon phase as I displayed all the classic signs, unexplained weight loss and permanent thirst. I can't help but think being on insulin gave my pancreas a rest and thanks to its 'holiday' it's come back to life, not 100% though as if I eat too many carbs then I spike quite high.

Could I ask if you had the classic signs before diagnosis?

Balde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ya definitely had all the signs. Suddenly loss of weight, constant thirst as you said, peeing like crazy, and I even had started to have some vision troubles. That's when I spoke to my dad cause he also is diabetic of type 2. And he recommended to his doctor.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
welcome @Balde :) - out of interest... did your docs do the GAD test and c-peptide test initially? and have they done those tests again recently? I would've thought that if you have auto immune diabetes that would show in the GAD test result... I could be wrong. But with me I have a negative GAD test and I've had it done 3 times. I'm insulin deficient though and have to be on insulin (my c-peptide test showed that I have minimal insulin production). I'm still type 2 and haven't turned into type 1. But well done for keeping your sugars controlled on the meds.

Reactions: 4 people

Balde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I haven't done the GAD test recently but I've an appointment with my doc next month 16th I will update on the result...!! thanks and you too did well

Reactions: 2 people